High miles for a Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
Hey everyone; newbie here, but been riding bikes for many years.

I've made the decision to trade my sport bike for a 1st gen V-Max, after wanting one for years. (Like most of you I'd guess.)

I've done a lot of reading and research, and feel pretty comfortable with it, but just wanted to get input on what is considered too-high mileage for a Max?

I found one I really like, an '05 20th anniv model that is in outstanding shape, but it has 17k miles. I am guessing he rode it daily to work or something to get 17k miles in 3 years. Traded for a cruiser I believe.

Assuming scheduled maintenance was done, and I do the normal checks to assure it's in good shape, is this a red flag in of itself?

On the surface it doesn't seem like it, but I see most others have less, so just want to be sure it's not a mistake, based on mileage alone.

Thanks, and apologies up front if this was asked 3x last week, sigh. I hate that too, so tried looking but didn't see a similar question recently.

Hi and welcome to the site:clapping:

First the VMAX cant stand abuse like a sportbike such as a GSXR.. You can bounce the GSXR off its rev limiter and it doesnt faze it.. You over rev a VMAX a few times and you will be replacing the crank and bearings..
Just as any motorcycle you buy it depends on how well it was taken care of..

the 05 is a good year and Yamaha has worked all the weak known links out.

I have heard of VMAXs with over 85K miles on them and still going strong..
And there are VMAX's like mine on its 4th engine since 2000..

17,000 miles is not much depending on use or abuse of the bike. My 96 had 112,000 miles when I sold it a couple years back and it's still running strong. My 06 has 18,000 miles with no issues. Other members here have higher mileage bikes that run strong - I think the king of mileage is Bill with over 120,000 miles on his 85 max.

Too many redline runs will quickly shorten the life of the engine though.

Mike

Welcome to the insanity Boomer! As a buyer, you would have to use your people skills to determine if the seller seemed to be a guy who cared about his bike. That mileage does not bother me but as Lankee mentioned, was it at ten grand all the time. I would guess not myself. Is the bike clean in all the hard to see or reach areas? Bad noises would be easy for you to spot so I assume there are no death knocks in the motor. Are the replaced tires of decent quality or are they Cheng Shin brand? Any mods done? These questions will just get you started but I commend for coming here and expanding your knowledge base. These guys are a wonderful resource. You'll see. When in doubt... Gas it!!!:punk:

Hey, thanks for the welcome, and quick responses!

Sounds like just what I thought, 17k isn't too much, as long as it was taken care of. Pretty much like 5k is low miles, UNLESS it was abused.

So it boils down to how it was taken care of, not miles.

A used bike is always a crap shoot, but I've been pretty lucky in the past, so knock on wood. I don't think someone buying a V-max in '05 (this late in the game) would typically be the type to abuse it, since the bike has been around a long time, and there are many other choices a (typically) young, abusive type would rather buy nowadays.

I bet the typical person to buy a V-Max in this time frame would be someone like me, a bit older, who admired it in the past, and finally decided to get one. Not a first time young owner who would abuse it.

But it's interesting to hear that high RPM's hurts the engine so easy, I had no idea. Yes, I'm used to typical Japanese sport bikes where you can practically ride around on the limiter all day (although that's FAR from what I do.)

A bikes overall condition shows how it was taken care of, and the type person who takes good care of the overall bike usually takes good care of the engine too, so that's really all I have to go by. The bike is being sold at a dealer, so unfortunately I will no be able to talk to the owner, and get a read on his personality. The plus is I would likely have more recourse if it has problems right off the bat, being a dealer.

They have already offered me an extended warranty, but I typically don't buy those due to cost.

I like the idea of checking out if he used cheap tires, etc. just to gauge his overall prowness. Good suggestion.

I'll also listen very close to any odd sounds, etc. Are they any strange sounds I may not be used to that I should expect, and should consider normal?

I'm a very "mechanically inclined" person, and even have rebuilt a few engines in my day, so I've got a good ear for when something isn't right, but I don't have anything to draw on, I've never even heard a V-Max up close in person. (Sad, I know.)

Thanks again for the responses, look forward to more interaction once I get it.

I'm still in kind of a dream state, realizing I'm FINALLY getting a V-Max, after wanting one since they first came out, in 1985! This is like finally getting that super hot cheerleader you always wanted all the way through high school, after many years thinking about it and never thinking it would happen!

This is like finally getting that super hot cheerleader you always wanted all the way through high school, after many years thinking about it and never thinking it would happen!

Only prob with the cheerleader is that 25 years on she may not be so hot anymore LOL

At least the Max is as sexy as ever! :clapping::eusa_dance:

Welcome, Boomer. If you haven't purchased it yet, look around, listen to, inspect and test drive a few other Max's. That way you will get a better idea of the good and not so good bikes. Then you will have something to compare it to. When I bought mine, I passed on an identical bike with only 3000 miles (mine had 9000) and for less money. Mileage isn't everything. You can usually tell when a bike has been treated right or abused.

Is the bike stock? If it is, you're probably good. In my experience people who keep the bikes stock tend to not beat on them as hard as those who install aftermarket performance mods. 17,000 is not too many miles at all. The V-Max really can be a reliable bike if not taken to extremes all the time and if its maintained correctly. Many here with 60,000+ miles w/o ever having to get into the engine for repair, and not exactly being Sallys with the throttle. You can blow anything up if you try. The V-Max does not have a rev limiter, and a near invisible tach, so it can be over revved easily if you aren't paying attention. A shift lights works wonders to help prevent this! This is especially true with the first couple of gears as they are very low and the engine will hit the redline very quickly. See if the bike was maintained/repaired at that dealer, and if so ask for maintenance records, any mechanic findings, etc.

If you do buy it make sure to post pics!

I think you'll find a bike that is a used daily is not abused as the owner needs/wants to be able to ride it daily so higher mileage is not necessarily a bad sign. Low mileage bikes could be weekend warrior bikes that have been ridden hard and put back wet.. so who knows. If this is a private sale, talk to the owner, you'll get a good idea of how he rode it. Tell him you're coming from a sport bike background and want to know how long of a wheelie you can do on the VMax. His answer will let you know know how the bike has been treated! :biglaugh:

Tell him you're coming from a sport bike background and want to know how long of a wheelie you can do on the VMax. His answer will let you know know how the bike has been treated! :biglaugh:

This is a hell of a good idea, "I've heard these are hard to do burnouts on...handle poorly at high speed...." That's a great approach!!

Also look for rubber under the rear fender and the very bottom of the pipes for scrapes, gouges, etc.

If this is from a dealer they should give you the name of the PO, give him/her a call.

I agree, it's unlikely this bike was abused, and 17K on a 4 year old bike is just normal riding IMO, and nothing for a properly maintained v max.

Good luck Boomer, welcome to the forum.

I've got an 05 that I broke the trans on last year. Of course it's better then new with the overdrive in it now too and it's even for sale! A little over 9,000 miles on it. I did finally get it back to all stock except the paint, trans, progressive front springs, and solid engine mounts.

Sean

Attachments

• 2005 Right Side.jpg
    2005 Right Side.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 37
I have 33,000. and some change on mine runs great. I am the third owner.

My 91 has been through 4 rebuilds before 20K miles on it. I beat the crap out of that bike (still ride the others in the stable hard but not as hard as I did that bike).

On a side note, we took a 96,000 mile venture block and put vmax heads and cams on it and made 133rwhp and 85lbs of torque. It was running good right up to the accident a year and a half ago that killed the owner (and friend). The bike is still in the insurance pool with the family fighting the other driver. When it does come up I will probably buy it back just because.

Sean

Only prob with the cheerleader is that 25 years on she may not be so hot anymore LOL

At least the Max is as sexy as ever! :clapping::eusa_dance:
NAUGHTYG IS RIGHT ! YOU NO THAT HOT CHEERLEADER IS WORE-OUT BY NOW !.. AND MORE MILES ON HER THEN THE SPACE SHUTTLE !:rofl_200:... BUT THAT " MAX " IS STILL ONE SEXY BITCH !...:punk:

NAUGHTYG IS RIGHT ! YOU NO THAT HOT CHEERLEADER IS WORE-OUT BY NOW !.. AND MORE MILES ON HER THEN THE SPACE SHUTTLE !:rofl_200:... BUT THAT " MAX " IS STILL ONE SEXY BITCH !...:punk:

Space Shuttle!!!!!HAHAHAHA:rofl_200:

My only suggestion.....

While still under warranty go over it every day with a fine tooth comb......

CHECK FOR LEAKS!!!!:bang head:

I thank God for the 90 day warranty that the bike shop I bought Snowmax from was there. My CDI box fried on day 75 or so, fixed with no questions asked. You might ask them if they do a short term warranty for free with a purchase of a used bike. Some dealers do, some don't, but if you don't ask they will probably not tell you.

Well I got the Max! :eusa_dance: She felt tight when I test rode her, and no strange noises, other than that incredible V4 rumble. Had an almost-new tire on front, and half-worn Bridgestone on back. It has some wear and tear from use, but nothing I'd say was unusual.

To say it feels different than the new CBR600 I traded would be a bold understatement, lol. Clutch felt good, but the brakes compared to my CBR would be like comparing a '57 Chevy drum brakes to a current Indy car, lol. Oh well, I'll adapt.

I've already had more comments with it on the trailer from passerbys than the entire year I owned the Honda, is this the norm? It seems to really attract attention.

More later, I'm back from a 23-hour day going to get her, picking up my wife at airport, etc. Got up at 5:30am, drove all day basically, finally got home at 4:30am. I'm beat!

Congrats on the purchase! Yes, the V-Max is in a league of its own and carries a reputation that has become greater than itself. It will stir random comments, even from those who don't ride.

Now we can talk about making the handling and braking more up to modern day specs. The cost to improve the Max is actually fairly low due to parts bins availability, e-bay and the fact that its been around forever.

R1 calipers 99-02(?)
Greatly increases braking power and feel and are a direct bolt on. I always thought the braking was spooky with the factory calipers, the R1s make a HUGE difference. These same calipers can be found off various years of the R6, FJR, FZ1, Warrior (check years for all before buying). These can always be found on E-bay, and prices vary. I picked up a set that were scratched for $35.00. Make sure that you load them with new EBC HH pads.

FJR or comparable Master Cylinder (various years)
Further improves braking ability and feel.
$150 from Modak Motors (Approx)

Progressive / RaceTech Front springs
Now that you have improved braking you are finding that the front end see-saws all over the place and brake dives with the worst of them. Either option greatly improves the suspension action and general feel of the bike. You may also consider the RaceTech emulators. Most here agree that 15wt oil works best.
$55 for Progressive, $75 RaceTech (with discount)

Rear shocks
Almost anything is better than the stock ones. Just a matter of how much you want to plunk down. Progressive / Work's / Ohlins (in that order sorted by cost)
$180-$1300

Solid Engine Mounts:
I am on the fence with these one. Greatly improves stability, feel, and getting rid of that chassis 'flopping fish out of water feel' around corners. Increases vibration quite a bit though. Mounts can be sourced from dealer for older Yamaha Venture. Cheap improvement but requires a lot of work to install.
$70 (approx through Mondak Motors)

There are other things that you can do to improve mean Mr. Max (wheels, frame brace, etc). The only limit is your credit card limit. The above will for sure add some confidence in the bike and make it more enjoyable (and less scary) to turn and stop. It will never be a CBR600, but it can be greatly improved on the cheap.

Back