im to short!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone my names luke and im new to motorcycles in general and more so my new to me 95 vmax! this is my beginer bike btw lol.

So heres the issue, im a big guy at about 240lbs and im verticaly challenged, im assuming i bought the bike with a lowered seat after looking at them all day and deciding that would be great since my feet barley touch, i get home and look at my bike and well it deff dosnt look like the factory seat its deff lower. problem is i have to lean appx inch to catch my footing, wich might not sound like much but being my first bike id like to touch the ground before i strat to lean over lol (almost droped it first day at a stop sign) ive been noticing that progressive shocks for the rear seem to be a easy upgrade to lower it, but ive also seen "droped a inch by moving the tree" and ect, not to sure what that means, i am very car familiar and mechanicly inclined enough to understand things explained.

all in all looking for a good way to lower my bike some, im extrmely novice never rode untill yesterday so im not looking to handle any better or go any faster as ive yet to get out of 3rd and over 50mph lol but i deff would feel more comfortable being able to put my leg out and feel the ground, any info would be appreciated,

thanks everyone looking forward to learning alot here

welcome to the brotherhood. The Max is/was my first bike as well. Dropping the forks in the tree is really easy--prop up the front wheel, loosen the upper and lower yokes, slide the stanchions up an inch or two, tighten up the yokes, lower the bike and away you go.

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Agreeing on lowering the forks, fast easy, might just give you the reach you need.
Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of helpful, friendly people here, and good info.

If moving the forks up works for you , I would recommend changing your springs with Progressive or Race Tech ( my favorite ) and lower it that way for better and safer handling .:punk:

Welcome Shorty! :biglaugh:

You've come to the right place dude! What they said ^

When I loosen/tighten fork bolts I like to loosen them all, and the wheel bolt too. (There's a locking bolt and nut.)
Then nip up all the fork pinch bolts and try and make sure that you lifted both sides nice and even. Make sure the wheel spins true, tighten the axle, then tighten the hell out of the fork bolts.

I don't know if it matters. Just seems right to me!

You'll love this place, and your Vmax! :punk:

Welcome Shorty! :biglaugh:

You've come to the right place dude! What they said ^

When I loosen/tighten fork bolts I like to loosen them all, and the wheel bolt too. (There's a locking bolt and nut.)
Then nip up all the fork pinch bolts and try and make sure that you lifted both sides nice and even. Make sure the wheel spins true, tighten the axle, then tighten the hell out of the fork bolts.

I don't know if it matters. Just seems right to me!

You'll love this place, and your Vmax! :punk:

Manufactures required torque is only 25ftlbs no need to tighten the hell out of them

Cheap solution....go to a shoemaker and have him add an extra inch of sole to your riding boots.

Welcome! Interesting first bike. I'm glad everyone was able to answer your question already. Be careful out there and if you haven't taken it yet, I recommend the MSF beginner class.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thanks everyone yea i see what to do after going and looking at the bike, im deff going to try that monday ill post if it was enough i think it should be though because im close as is.

thanks for the warm welcome im learning alot already reading through the forum

OK, here's what's needed for MAXIMUM lowering. We can sell you most of this stuff.

2" internal lowering kit from progressive. You can also add 1" of lowering through the triples if needed (but I would not do that unless needed).

We do sell 10.5" progressive rear shocks but I suggest 11.5" shocks most of the time (stock is 13" for your comparison). OR, one of our extended swingarms with no shock relocation. This will lower the bike over 2" in the rear with stock length shocks.

Modified Sidestand so the bike will have some lean to it.

17" wheels - the overall tire diameter is reduced so it's effectively lowered.

One of our "full cut" seats.

These things above will put the bike "on the ground".

Sean

Manufactures required torque is only 25ftlbs no need to tighten the hell out of them

Fair call mate!
I use a 1/4" drive ratchet and do them up as tight as I can with one hand. :biglaugh: Maybe I should check tensions more often...

Cheap solution....go to a shoemaker and have him add an extra inch of sole to your riding boots.

Exactly! :rofl_200:

im not that short rollie im 5 8, but my height deff dosnt come from my legs loli dnt need it slammed i just think id be more comfortable if i wasnt tip toeing at a stop sign if i lean a little im flat footed but my other foot is about a inch from touching, these are great suggestions and im deff goint to use them! its gota get lower for me

i posted a pic in the genral section of my seat, im almost sure its already been cut down

i'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. the PO shaved my seat seat, i wanna say, about an inch or so. i've internally lowered the front suspension an inch. with boots that i think have a 1/2" sole, i am able to hold the bike up flat-footed. it looks like your seat has been shaved down 2-3 inches. so if your still tip-toeing at the traffic lights in boots, i'm thinking that you only need to lower the suspension an inch. try out raising the forks in the trees by an inch, that should give you what you need--two inches is the max, after that your banging into the radiator.

although, if your bike's PO bolted on an aftermarket seat, i wonder if (s)he hasn't already lowered the front suspension. it's a naturally tendency with max modders, LOL.

good luck

i did look at the forks they appear to be all the out right now, (assuming thats how you would say that) wich would give me room to drop it and i measured the rear shocks and they are 13 eye to eye, im the 3rd owner the previous owner said he bought the bike as it sat in 04 and had only done the routine maitnece no mods, that being said ill take some pics of the suspension and bike and see if anyone can tell but it dose look stock to me. only other thing im not sure of is a 3 way switch that he said "controls v boost" (off / factory setting / always on) but thats for a diff discussion i will not be messing with that switch anytime soon lol and the seat is apparently cut down

Just wanted to get an idea of how TALL you were Luke. We have others in your vertical range as well , who lower the rear shocks an inch , inch and a half , 2 inches , and match the internal fork springs with a lowering kit and BAM , both feet down and safe at the light , and more importantly , suspension is not compromised . :punk:

P.S. A USD front end will get you down quickly , just bring $$$ .

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 288.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 288.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 19
Back