need a good vmax mechanic in los angeles

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
i need a vmax tech in los angeles to look at my bike. carb, clutch and a tune up. i tried the shotgun method twice but the carb is still rough, it will idle now but giving it gas will kill it. i had a friend changed the clutch with the barnett hub. n ot sure if he did it right. he removed the 1/2 clutch plate and replaced it with a full clutch plate. i just want to ride the damn thing. purchased it a year ago with a 2nd gear issue and now i am not sure what is going on. i think the second gear issue is fixed. i need a mechanic that can look at the carb and clutch. i do not have much time with two kids to work on it correctly. i do not want to blow a wad of cash either. does anybody want to have a group repair and learn session at my place in los angeles. i will grill a load of meat and serve a few cases of beers after the session.

:bang head:

sorry, 2000 vmax. beside the second gear issue, it ran fine last year. it took my friend 8 months to tear into the motor and change the 2nd gear and clutch. i reinstalled the motor but the carb may have been sitting around too long. also changed the fuel filter and gas.

sorry, 2000 vmax. beside the second gear issue, it ran fine last year. it took my friend 8 months to tear into the motor and change the 2nd gear and clutch. i reinstalled the motor but the carb may have been sitting around too long. also changed the fuel filter and gas.
I'd get a hold of Damon's video for the clutch check. Or, even the DD link. The clutch plates can be installed wrong. 2nd gear? I'm hoping it's all ok Bro. The other stuff will have to be checked and fixed either way.
If you can, box the carbs up and send to Danny, Sean, Kyle, Mike or any one of the guys on this site that rebuilds them (prob. missed somebody-sorry). It'd be worth the effort in the end. IMHO
Steve

T3ttp I just did my clutch and if you pm me more info on what your clutch is doing i can help you. Damon helps me when i need it so if we cant solve it he can. As for the carbs i know Damon gets them in the mail and set them up and sends them back. Or he might know someone in your area that you can trust.

Dan (dannymax) I believe has a few sets of carbs on hand and would probably work with you to sort out the carb issue by mail. I'd check with him.

As for the clutch, it's a fairly simple assembly. What's the problem with it? All you need to fix the clutch yourself is a 5mm hex to remove the case cover and IIRC a 10mm to remove the pressure plate and the whole thing falls apart. No special techniques or tools (or time) needed....I replaced my slipping stock clutch with the PCW kit, start to finish, in under an hour. I'm sure we can help you through that.

only special tool might be a clutch basket holder. might be able to get away with pressing the rear brake and putting it in 5th gear tho too and using an impact.

I might be of some assistance on the Carbs. Been awhile since I have been on the forum but you can ask around. I have rebuilt quite a few over the years and have the setup here at work to ultrasonically clean them.
Give me a shout, PM and we can get together. Plus I get a 20% discount from my dealer on parts
Cheers
Fargo

Did the shotgun method again today. Three of the four carbs are working correctly. The rear right was pretty mucked up. I spray carb cleaners and air a few times but nothing. Changed diaphragm and needle with another carb but still nothing. How else can I clean this carb or do I need to rebuilt it. This would be the last resort. At the beginning of today only two of the carbs were working. So this is a step in the right direction. Can I put something down, like a slim wire to clean the orifices?

Latest posts

Back