New Vmax Owner A Little Concerned!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaingDouble

Reaction score
Just picked up a '92 w/ only 6k miles last week. Quickly found this forum and I am quite concerned with all the little inherent "problems" and issues i've be reading about. Are these bikes a nightmare to own from a maintenance and $$$ standpoint? The bike I bought just had a complete servicing of carbs, oil change, coolant change, and passed inspection. I can easily keep up with basic maintenance but really have no desire to spend a ton of money on this thing. Please tell me I will be fine and I'm over analyzing!!
BTW, this bike runs extremely well and I am quite impressed with it.

ps - one thing that caught my attention is i have noticed the oil light come on under hard acceleration. Oil level is fine, so I suspect this is just from oil being sloshed around from the acceleration??
Thanks!

I have an '03, 19,000kms when i bought it in '06. Sitting at 59,500 kms. now. I had a slight leak around the heads, tighten up, all is good. Starter clutch crapped out this summer while on holidays, other than that, the bike is PERFECT. Don't stess, you'll be fine.
You're right about the oil light, hard launches make the light come on, it's all fine.

I just bought a second VMax today, an 89 with 34,000 miles now.

The biggest thing I had to overcome so far with my 94 was Ethanol in the gas. I found sources for Non-Ethanol. Some bikes will run fine on it, mine doesn't. It has had things here and there that needed attention but with the help of the others here at VMF and with the VMOA, Easy Fixes.

Your biggest asset is that you've joined one of the Tightest Brotherhoods on this Planet. VMax Owners.

Wow, a 92 with 6,000 miles. Yesterday I found out that I missed out on an 07 with 237 miles, for 4,000.00...:bang head::bang head::bang head:

You'll be fine as long as you have everyone here to back you up....:biglaugh:
Welcome to our world....

got a 2002 with 1144 miles going to be selling in the spring (or sooner if there is a buyer willing).

There are problems with them but more due to inactivity then anything else. Ride it and enjoy it.

Sean

Ahhh, feeling better already. Yes it only has 6,300 miles on it. Bought it from original owner...only 1,000 of those miles since 1997, so he decided to sell rather than let it sit. It needed the carbs gone through and fluids changed from all that sitting. I do not expect to ever let it sit for very long except for winter...even then I will brave an occassional freezing ride around the neighborhood to keep things fresh.
At this point I am very satisfied with it, although I wish the v-boost came on a little quicker. Apparently there is a mod you can do to make this occur at 3k?? Not looking to do any big mods, but you all know how that goes.

The "T" Boost is a fun upgrade but won't make it any faster (though some think it does).

Sean

Care to enlighten me why it wouldn't be faster? Seems more power sooner (should) return quicker acceleration. One thing that concerns me is if you are cruising at say, 4k rpm the vboost would be dumping all that fuel when you are not really asking for it (in cruising mode)?

Yamaha Engineers were pretty smart having the boost start coming in at 6,000 rpm. The engine uses it effectively at that point. Much below and you're using excessive fuel for minimal gain. I really would like it coming in at 4,500, Great for Highway passing if it would actually work to Boost the Performance.. Sean (one2dmax) is the Man when it comes to reliable answers....

Hi SD

Th Max is a very easy bike to own but like any other machine it has a few weaknesses. However these are well documented, don't often cause a problem and are easily fixed.

In the unlikely event that you do need help then forums such as this are a fantactic resource with folk who are always ready to give assistance.

The down side of these sites is that a significant number of the posts are about problems. If you are prone to paranoia then only step aboard when you need help.

If the Max does have a problem it isn't reliability or ease of maintenance .....it is that it's completely addictive!

That brings me on to another issue with this site. You read about a shed load of fantastic ideas and modifications that you MUST have.
Before you know where you are a standard Max has morphed into the coolest thing on the planet.
(MM Helpful hint: Tell your partner that all things that arrive in brown parcels are 'safety related'.)

In summary, they are a great bike with few foible but can damage your wealth once you get onto the modification trail.

I've gathered Sean is (one of) the resident experts here...agreed on the v-boost consuming excess fuel when not "requested" by the rider and 4500 would be nice but I'm not really complaining. Indeed this bike is addictive. I have a friend who has had 2 of them and had to jump on one myself. I've decided that any money spent in the near future will be for handling/safety. What is the best thing I can do to bolster a little more confidence when the turns are coming up fast (and they do come up fast!)
The brakes aren't bad but not hugely assuring. I've read about some spring upgrades, would it be worthwhile to upgrade? How about stiffening the stock rears to higher setting?
Thanks again

I also have a '92 that I done a little work to to make it handle, be more comfortable and to make it sound/ perform better. After 3 years of work and tons of help and encouragement from others on this site I have achieved most of this but there are a couple areas I would like to address.
I would not be concerned too much as this community can help you work through any and all problems you will come across and provide a great group of guys to meet up/ ride with. You're in good hands with vmaxforum.net!

Only thing I would ad to the conversation SD is the fact that we are talking about a relatively unchanged twenty seven year old design! Maybe a Royal Enfield can say the same. Any problem that there ever was, has been discussed here and probably resolved. The one inherent problem I see is the desire to constantly, improve, modify and stylize the bike to one's liking. The "Mod Monkey" must be kept on a short leash or you will end up like "Nobody" and will have lost all sense of reason, logic and normalcy. You have been forewarned!

Sean Morley can even help you out with handling mods. I did a fork exchange + cash with him for a set that were modified. What a difference in handling.. I haven't bothered with the rear as they don't seem to be a problem for me. The 89 I bought yesterday has shocks with reservoirs. Don't know what they'll be like....

We can help in a lot of areas. The v-boost opened prematurely simply shifts the power curve. By having it open up later you keep the low end torque and HP from the smaller effective intake track and by opening up the system you make the effective intake track longer which gives the higher end power.

We sell 6 piston adapters (and the other needed parts) which will greatly increase the stopping power of the beast. I can also help you as noted with either parts or everything to improve the suspension.

We haven't even gotten into what we can do for comfort (handlebars/seats) or power (headers/jet kits/engine exchanges).

Sean

Thanks to everyone for all the initial info on my new Vmax. I think I will get some more miles logged to determine exactly what I want out of it. At this point I'm thinking handling/brakes. The power is plenty satisfying for now. This is a second chance at life for this old bike. Looking at the title, its only had 1k miles since 1997. Gentleman I bought it from spent some cash to bring it back, but I figure it may need some more miles put on to make sure all is good. So far its been a blast!

Well, you found the right place! My advice would be to go ride the crap out of it! Take note (in detail) of anything you think is a problem, or any questions that you have, and post them if you can't find the answers in the forum search.

I don't believe that there isn't a Vmax-related question this forum can't answer!

ALSO:

You can take anything Sean Morley says as Gospel!

BTW... Before you ask... there's no such thing as 'carb chains'. LOL

SD, I got my first Max in April, rode it home that day, about 200 miles. The seat is absolutely the FIRST thing that needs addressing. Sean's muscle seat is absolutely phenomenal. Word of advice on it... if you're a little skinny guy, get the full cut version, if ya got some meat on your bones, do the mid cut. Enjoy your new ride.

relax, don't worry, have a home brew. Oops, wrong forum. Seriously, I have an 88 with almost 30,000 miles, no real problem other than it doesn't like sitting in th rain all day at work, runs like crap, but thats about my only problem

Back