Oxygen Sensor and Gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
All, does anyone have any experience with choosing a wideband O2 sensor and gauge combo? I want to install one (or make it removable) for dyno testing/setup. I have been looking on eBay and found a few, but I have been hesitant on picking one as I'm not exactly sure what to look for. If anyone has any experience or can tell me what I need, please let me know.

I was also wondering if it would be worth my time to install 4 bungs on each of my exhaust headers or is the gauge/sensor sensitive enough to read changes I make to individual carb settings?

Thanks,

Jeff

All, does anyone have any experience with choosing a wideband O2 sensor and gauge combo? I want to install one (or make it removable) for dyno testing/setup. I have been looking on eBay and found a few, but I have been hesitant on picking one as I'm not exactly sure what to look for. If anyone has any experience or can tell me what I need, please let me know.

I was also wondering if it would be worth my time to install 4 bungs on each of my exhaust headers or is the gauge/sensor sensitive enough to read changes I make to individual carb settings?

Thanks,

Jeff

I am glad you started this thread. I have been thinking the same idea also. I wasnt going to do the 4 individual rather I would just install the O2 right at the collector of my Kerker. There is a kit where its an LED with 4 bars if you wanted to take that route.
I just use a Fluke Infared Temp gun when adjusting each cyl.
I think it would be a good thing, but once you got it in tune now you have a bung welded in your exhaust unless you leave the o2 in. After thinking about the time, money I just gave up on it, I just go by plug readings for main jet setting and exhaust temps for idle up to 5K setting the needles.
I sent the pics by the way hope they help. :cheers:

Dynojet makes a really slick one for motorcycles.

http://www.widebandcommander.com/

If you do get one make sure it has "black box logging".
That way you can log your runs and then download to your laptop to view later.

Getting a wide band O2 in each runner is going to be very pricey and unnecessary. Just make sure the carbs are synced.

You would probably be better off just hitting the dyno. The most beneficial way to monitor a wideband is by throttle position and RPM. You would have to rig something up for throttle position as the carbs are obviously mechanical.

I may be wrong here (don't worry, I'm used to it) but can't the carbs can still be synced even though the air/fuel ratios could are way off? By using only one O2 sensor in the collector, you could have two carbs that are rich and two carbs that are lean and in theory, they could banance each other out and show a good stoichiometric mixture? I was thinking about getting 4 bungs and plugs and not leaving the O2 sensor on there, but get it set up and simply plug the holes back up.

I would like to get a infrared temp gun and measure the EGT as well.

I just found another decent carb link I thought I would share: http://www.awol.co.za/carb.pdf

Keep posting your comments.

Thanks,

Jeff

Rusty is doing this already.I feel that One o2 sensor would be alot better than nothing.With the cost of dyno time,I would rather be able to get my own readings.

One sensor for each cylinder would be overkill but 2 would be nice.

Rusty... please post if/when you have some time.... unless this is listed somewhere else.

Well, I just got off the phone with Kerker/Supertrapp and it is $142 for the 'S' bend pipe (PN 5247-RC) I asked about getting one before they sent it to the chromer, and she said if I ordered it now, they could probably have one to me in 10 to 12 weeks. I was hoping to have a bare one to weld a O2 sensor bung to and then have it chromed, but it isn't worth $142 at this point. I think I will take Sean's advice and go to my local muffler shop and see what they can do.
Jeff

K&N sells a kit that is pretty much the gauge,sensor ,bung and wiring for $204 retail.

part # 85-2441

No data logging,computer crap,etc. Just real time readings.:thumbs up:

I've seen EGT/Pyrometer Gauges that tap into the pipes just down from the cylinder head. This gives very accurate readings and I even saw a guage that would read out all four readings at once.

Here's one (not the one I saw)
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/EGT1004P.php

I think this is the one I saw:
http://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/Products/?PartNumber=222-144&

Here's something that could be handy for your NO2 setup:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EGT-...010QQitemZ200203701281QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sean Morley

Yeah! Less is more and I like that one. The only issue with the digital screens is they look out of place on our pre digital era bikes... :bang head:

Are you planning on just hooking it up when needed? If the bike was FI it would be awesome to have one as you could just tweak the fuel with the PCIII on the go. :thumbs up:

OK I've decided that you need FI Jeff... I mean... Does your wife REALLY need to go to school? You make good money... She could stay home with the kids... lol

J/K J/K

FI would be pretty sweet! I have been eyeing R1 throttle bodies and you can get them pretty cheap, but I am really clueless when it comes to that. I think I may resurrect an old thread about this and see what it takes to convert it to FI. I'm planning on making new intakes for my 38mm carbs, and if I'm going to get O2 sensors installed, I'm sure I'm making headway to get to FI. Would I need to get a Dyna3000, or some way to change the timing it I went to FI?

If there are some good links that anyone knows about, please let me know and I'll do some investigating.

Jeff

You can use stock ignition with EFI from wildbros.com.

Mark

I have DJ wideband commander, not hooked up yet. If a guy wanted to, you could install a bung in each headpipe and swap the sensor back and forth to get a reading from each, I considered this. or perchase three more sensors and tie them together and toggle between them, I dont know if the later is possible. EFI is direct bolt on. no other mods needed. Alledgedly 140+ HP

I have had several people with mixed feelings on a Fi system on motorcycles , one problem i do see with a fi system on older motorcycles is that they use no knock sensor ,also they only provide the engine with pre programmed values . no MAF sensor etc., feel free to reply ,here to learn , and love vmaxes:banana:

Back