Parts bike resurrection

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobrules

Reaction score
I got this 1986 from a guy that owed me $$. It was someones project at one time. I didn't know much about the max before I got it so I started to research. What a F*****g machine. After riding a Virago (my first bike) all summer I just had to ride the Vmax. The bike was a mess all the covers had been removed and my mechanic said it would need a motor due to the condition of the cams. Not cheap.

That's when I found this forum, I wasn't sure if I should part it out or try to fix it I knew the work to be done was beyond my mechanical ability. So I posted it for parts. Damon, a forum member contacted me. He builds stock motors for UFO I believe (planetVmax). and said he had a 2001 bench motor that he had rebuilt and used for testing carbs and stuff. He is very knowledgeable on the Vmax far beyond my comprehension we talked for a good hour and worked out a price which seemed reasonable and set up a date for delivery.

Damon did way more work on my bike than we had agreed on, some would have called the bike a basket case, in only a few weeks he swapped motors, found me a good set of carbs and misc. parts. He even put on a good set of mirrors and replaced the lock set since I didn't have a key. He went through the entire bike and made sure everything was functioning as it should and noted any thing I might need to address in the future.

The reason I am posting this is that I have never had anyone go so over the top to give me the best service I have ever received from a mechanic. He is excellent to work with and truly loves the Vmax.

He has a couple very nice bikes, I wish he would post some pics and specs. in his profile.

Thanks again Damon I appreciate all your hard work.

can't wait for spring

Mobrules

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 64
  • vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 67
Forgot to mention, the bike runs like a dream. I still have a few minor things to work on when the $$ starts flowing again. My first ride was amazing the bike is smooth and responsive.

I'm sure you will have plenty of fun with it! Release the Monkey!

Glad you fixed it rather than part it out, hope you can join in on some of our rides next year!..........Lot's of Mi maxers here!............And yes.........Damon is a great guy!...........A pleasure to talk and ride with!.............:punk:..........Tom.

I wish Damon was a lot closer to me. I purchased both the Vmax videos he put out. Well worth the knowledge and video demos he gives in them. Sean Morley also has some YouTube videos available for quick reference. I like the flywheel one! And the fork one!
My only wish is that Damon be more active on the forum! He's a great resource and wealth of accurate info.

I wish Damon was a lot closer to me. I purchased both the Vmax videos he put out. Well worth the knowledge and video demos he gives in them. Sean Morley also has some YouTube videos available for quick reference. I like the flywheel one! And the fork one!
My only wish is that Damon be more active on the forum! He's a great resource and wealth of accurate info.

Double post, Pat!
Double post, Pat!:biglaugh:

Looks like a good build, good on ya for bringing it back.

Yes, a lot of good old Michigan boyZ on here! Hope you can join in on some of our rides this up-coming season.

Definitely looking forward to a ride with some of the Michiganders. Got a few minor details to wrap up this winter to have it ready for spring.

Latest posts

Back