Powder coat (chrome color)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
I was talking to a guy who does powder coating and he says that now powder coating has some stuff that looks like chrome BUT he has yet to use it so my question anyone out there know anything about a chrome look alike color???:ummm:

i had some stuff that was 'glossy' and 'metallic' looking. putting it in smaller areas made it sorta look like chrome. i imagine if it was over a large piece the imperfections would show.

Capnkyle has a guy doing PC in " chrome but if you are looking for chrome , there is no substitute

That's very nice Powder Coating, if that's what it is Sean. Please confirm?
I have the new chrome powder but won't comment till I try it. Eastwood said that clear is required before it cures, at what temp is to be determined. I have had good luck P.C.over chrome.
Steve

I have had quite a few things done in the chrome & it looks pretty good but like patmax said nothing is like real chrome & the durability dont seem to be as good as the other powders for some reason. If you handle it a lot it seems to kind of like tarnish after a while & if you put a clearcoat over it it dulls it & makes it look like just a bright silver.

Kyle,I grabbed the chrome because I believe it's the silver color I wanted for my triple trees. It looked more silver than chrome. I'll find out soon. The clear over chrome coat I'll try out on a scrap piece first.
Steve

I have had quite a few things done in the chrome & it looks pretty good but like patmax said nothing is like real chrome & the durability dont seem to be as good as the other powders for me reason. If you handle it a lot it seems to kind of like tarnish after a while & if you put a clearcoat over it it dulls it & makes it look like just a bright silver.

It is powdercoat but like Kyle mentioned if you get too much rubbing on it the finish does dull out.

Sean

It's like chrome, but you can't see your reflection in it, and can't polish it up.
PC isn't anywhere near as hard as chrome is.
It's good, but it ain't chrome.

The reason i asked is i just got a set of six piston calipers and really didnt want to tear down for chrome. Most of my bike parts have been chromed thru Sean so what hell i might as well do the calipers to!

high chrome or extreme chrome as some call it, tried it on my wheels some time ago, clearcoat is a must otherwise it will go dull in no time...

rubbing is not really an issue on wheels, but it's so much easier to keep clean than chrome...

Attachments

• Photo016.JPG
    Photo016.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo018.JPG
    Photo018.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 42
The reason i asked is i just got a set of six piston calipers and really didnt want to tear down for chrome. Most of my bike parts have been chromed thru Sean so what hell i might as well do the calipers to!

Yep + 1 on Seans chrome work .

Attachments

• DSC02527.jpg
    DSC02527.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 41
You'll still have the labor for the R&R of the calipers Jim to get them apart and they won't hold up as well as the chrome will (though they are cheaper). I think Rollie has pics of the six pistons we chromed for him!

*EDIT* Rollie Beam me to it lol!

Sean

Yes i will be sending them to you for chrome, they do look really sweet hope the perform as good as they look, Also the wife just figured out there will never be and end to moding my Max, lol

Re: Powder coat (chrome color).. black / tint / smoked clear???

Hey people,

Slightly changing the topic but, ... is there such a thing as smoked/ tinted clear powder coating? Looked around online but came up short.

I had a set of scoops clear-powder coated after polishing them, but would love to have a dark tint over some of the aluminum and chrome on my bike. Kind of like black-chrome, but without having to chrome plate.

Experiences?

Re: Powder coat (chrome color).. black / tint / smoked clear???

Hey people,

Slightly changing the topic but, ... is there such a thing as smoked/ tinted clear powder coating? Looked around online but came up short.

I had a set of scoops clear-powder coated after polishing them, but would love to have a dark tint over some of the aluminum and chrome on my bike. Kind of like black-chrome, but without having to chrome plate.

Experiences?

Check online for electrostatic powdercoating ral codes and you'll see the colors available... You also have anodized look powdercoating, several colors

RAL original colors
RAL color effects
http://ralcolor.net/

Last edited:
Don't ever make the mistake of clear powdercoating over polished alloy... It will dull the mirror finish and ruin your polishing job and its a bitch to remove. Today i talked to a chroming and plating company and they told me that to protect polished alloy the best thing (not perfect though) is auto 2K varnish. Lasts and won't peel off from the polished finish so they say and they do apply an electrostatic varnish

Back