transmission work on 2006 vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
I have the engine pulled out and fliped over. to just do trans work how far do I have to strip the engine down? Which side cases and other parts do I not have to remove just do do trans work? Thanks..2006 vmax this sucks..lol

Whilst I could describe what you need to do, I respectfully suggest that it would be in your best interest to download a copy of the Service Manual from (say) V Max Outlaw so not only do you have the text but also pictorial references.

I have it downloaded on my laptop. I read through it but the transmission is included in the whole engine teardown section. I just didnt want to remove more stuff then I have to.

Sean Morley's prolly the best person to talk to. Email him with your questions! AFAIK the one thing you do not need to remove is the cylinder heads. I therefore assume that the top half of the motor can stay in one piece. :confused2:

I just removed my engine yesterday and am about to do this too.

I just printed out the manual and looking at page 140, 141. Do you unscrew the bottom and then flip it over to unscrew the top?

I did this last year... its imperitive you follow the bolt sequence. the bolts are #d on the case.... dont pry. its all aluminum. the shop manual is what I used when I did mine. between the forum, sean morley, and the service manual its not hard. if you have mechanical experience its a 7 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. bag your bolts, parts and pieces. place them in order and go get yourself a 1/4" torque wrench. theres alot of 7 and 14 ft lb bolts.

take the swing arm off to install the motor. itll save time and keep your blood pressure low....
good luck,
evan...

I just left my motor on the heads and pulled the bottom of the case up.

I just left my motor on the heads and pulled the bottom of the case up.

Ok so basicly, I flip it, and everything i need I can access from the bottom?

All I need is to pull the transmission out to mail to sean.

Pull all the side covers and waterpump. Complete clutch basket assembly and curved strap under that. Shift drum and misc can stay in for now. Heads and even valve covers can stay in place. Leave the flywheel on and in place (unless you need to fix the starter clutch too).

Oil pan and pump will need to be removed. There are a series of bolts from the top and bottom that will come out. 3 bolts will not be able to be fully removed since they won't clear the rear head when taken loose. Just let them hang down.

Remove slave cylinder as well.

There is a bolt on the front when looking at it normally in the bike that is easily overlooked.

Sean

Follow seans advice, take your time and get all of the old gasket surface's clean before it goes back together. Good advice regarding pulling the swingarm and u-joint/gear from the back of the motor too. makes it much easier coming out and going back into the frame.

Best time to do solid motor mounts is while the motor is out ;)

+ 10 on the solid motor mounts. the bike feels better in the corners. worth the 100 bucks.

peace,
evan

I was thinking of doing the solid mounts :biglaugh: how much more vibration to you pick up with the solid mounts?

I can sure try I have taken a ton of pics but just so i can put it back together..lol I will take more in each step

The delrin solid motor mounts that I put in didn't have a big negative effect for me. I noticed more vibs around 4k rpm and the mirrors had a bit wider rpm range 3500 -> ~6000 rpms. Well worth the added vibs in my book.

I was thinking of doing the solid mounts :biglaugh: how much more vibration to you pick up with the solid mounts?

The delrin solid motor mounts that I put in didn't have a big negative effect for me. I noticed more vibs around 4k rpm and the mirrors had a bit wider rpm range 3500 -> ~6000 rpms. Well worth the added vibs in my book.

it wasn't so much the added vibes that i felt its that i had to start loc-titing everything. i'd never do them again. spend a little extra and get frame braces.

I went with solid motor mounts and larger allen head bolts for the removable frame section and it's rock solid now.

If I can find a pair of frame braces cheap enough, I will put those on too.

Little more vibs around 5000rpm, but nothing that bothers me much, especially since I put Vibranators in the bars.

Mike

Back