What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap, what now Mike? You shoulda bought a old bike like mine, or maybe not!

Looks like differential oil on the floor under the bike.

It was good for 400 miles @ thunder plus a few rides after. Then all of a sudden it started leaking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Those rearsets, they don't have the means to mount folding pegs I assume?

Correct they do not fold. I took it out for a ride and I like the position better. The stock location always seemed to bother the sciatic nerve in my left leg but didn't have any problems today. The R1 forks are a huge improvement as well.

Correct they do not fold. I took it out for a ride and I like the position better. The stock location always seemed to bother the sciatic nerve in my left leg but didn't have any problems today. The R1 forks are a huge improvement as well.

I like the position of the pegs, but I REALLY would prefer folding pegs.

I got the experience of seeing how a bike handles at 70 mph with air leaking out of my front tire fast. My bike wanted to pull right and hard. I was able to hold a line and not wipe out into a Jersey barrier. Thoughts that were going through my mind were, hoping over the barrier just as I hit. Keeping her upright and not using the front brakes. Getting off the highway as quick as possible. It was a very unsettling experience, but not as bad as a high speed wobble. I pumper her back up, (a few hundred strokes of a tiny bicycle pump) found a loose valve stem, but stopped and check quite a few times on my ride home. Dam, it's good to be alive.

Had a similar thing happen to me except the entire tire came off the front rim in a curve (light curve thank god but I was doing 70mph when it happened). The inertia kept me upright but it dove hard and fast trying to get to the ground and I just got lucky to catch it.

Looks like differential oil on the floor under the bike.

It was good for 400 miles @ thunder plus a few rides after. Then all of a sudden it started leaking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I hope the new diff is better, let me know how you like the venture diff.
I think I may have a leak/ weep at the front seal of the diff. but it also may be from the leak coming from the stator wires, which I think I finally fixed. I am going to have to remove the rear wheel to install my 5 gal tank so I'll use a little yamabond 4 to seal it up.
I have another question for anybody that cares to answer; I have a fuel gauge sensor installed into my 5 gal tank and one of the screws that hold it down is stripped. Should I install nutserts (for all the screws) or will that cause a gap? I could make up a thick gasket to help seal that gap along with some sort of liquid gasket sealant like this?
Any help with this will be appreciated since I will need the extra fuel for my ride with the ADVrider guys from Michigan and we will be doing a 250+ mi ride on the 23rd. I'd rather not have the whole group stop a second time just for me.

Installed my new to me UFO exhaust this morning. Went on really easy. What does UFO stand for, undeniably f@$&!#+ obnoxious?

Already got a pissed off look from one of the neighbors.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1407868646481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1407868646481.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 45
Rode into work to test out my newly installed venture differential and drive shaft. Been having some issues with the original parts so I'm test driving this stuff to see if things clear up.

Hopefully this will prove to be a good fix.

I have 17" wheels on the bike so figured a venture diff may bring the RPMs back down into the normal range. I'm not sure if I can get used to riding with this diff. It really seems to take the fun out of things. I feel like the bike has been neutered. It way too docile.

Rode into work to test out my newly installed venture differential and drive shaft. Been having some issues with the original parts so I'm test driving this stuff to see if things clear up.

I have 17" wheels on the bike so figured a venture diff may bring the RPMs back down into the normal range. I'm not sure if I can get used to riding with this diff. It really seems to take the fun out of things. I feel like the bike has been neutered. It way too docile.

If you wanna go back to a Max diff, let me know, and I'll buy the Venture one from ya.
I would offer to do a trade for my Max diff, but I'm hearing something that just does not sound right from mine, so I question whether you would be getting a 100% functional piece with doin a trade. (hence the offer to buy it from you is you do decide to go back)

If you wanna go back to a Max diff, let me know, and I'll buy the Venture one from ya.
I would offer to do a trade for my Max diff, but I'm hearing something that just does not sound right from mine, so I question whether you would be getting a 100% functional piece with doin a trade. (hence the offer to buy it from you is you do decide to go back)

I will keep you in mind but, its going to be awhile before I get around to taking it off.

I'm going to run this long enough to be sure that it fixes the problem.

If it does, I know what I need to do to my stock parts to make it work. I probably won't get to this point until winter.

I have a 5th gear venture transmission in my spare motor which does the same thing but in 5th gear only. Yeah, it's not a "fun" gear but it really does help with fuel mileage on longer trips. On my local rides I found myself staying in 4th a lot more often so fuel mileage probably suffered to stay in the fun zone which IMO one of the drawbacks of the venture gear. Now, if you had a muscled up 1500 that venture diff might be just what I'd want.

I had to take mine off for that reason, Mike. When I put my Vmax pumpkin back on the added acceleration came back, from the 17" wheel. The fun scale went up higher. The mpg is still plenty good enough.

The R1 front end I installed came with caps to cover the fork extensions but they did not fit so I decided to see what I could come up with. Using some carbon fiber scraps I made these. Not to bad for 1/2 hr of fiddling around with a jig saw and bench grinder.
picture.php
[/IMG]

Back