Carb sync question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daremo

Reaction score
I have an 85' Vmax with Stage 7(vboost always on) and a Maxflo exhaust. I took the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning and reinstalled them on the bike. Bike idles nice at around 1K but the left rear carb(#2? The one with one the same side as the master to sync to) has super low vacuum at idle. Turning the adjustment doesn't really change it. I am able to sync the other 3 with a Weber unit but can't get that one to change. It does exhibit more vacuum when you blip the throttle but then goes back down. Does this sound like a vacuum leak? Was going to pull them back off and check the boot but thought I would see if there was anything else that might obviously be?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Martin

Sounds like another carb clean is required. "Turning the adjustment," would that be the screw (pilot screw) below the CV cap?
Page 5-2, part #10 VMX12- Service-Manual.pdf (vmoa.net)

Spray some starting fluid or similar around the carburetor donut to the VBoost and the VBoost to the cyl head, and the airbox to the carburetor. See what happens.

Last edited:
Was talking about the sync screw. Nothing changes on the parts I can hit with spray. Going to pull them back off.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, something is still clogged. That's my guess. Some guys use guitar strings in an appropriate size to fit the orifice. Cutting a wire at a 45 degree angle with the wire cutters, makes the end into a better penetrator of ossified material.

I was super thorough when I cleaned them so was pretty sure that wasn't it(though certainly possible). I took them off and discovered that the carb that I was having issues with was super far out of sync with the others. Got it as close as I could by eyeballing it and then reinstalled and was able to sync it up. So pretty much just user error during re-assembly from not knowing precisely what I was doing. Now I know lol.

Back