Dead Cylinder Mystery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess Willhite

Reaction score
I have a 98 Vmax with the #4 cylinder not firing. I have fuel, air, spark and good compression. I live in Commifornia so the gas goes bad in like 2 weeks but in this case it sat for 3 months so I replaced the gas and shotgunned the system 3 times now. Can't sync the carbs due to the cylinder not firing. I replaced the plugs and no change. I checked to make sure the air/fuel screw was out the correct turns to make sure I didn't skip that step in the shotgun steps and it is good. I can pull the boot off the plug with no change in rpm on that cylinder and can hear the spark pulse when I pull off the boot. I pull off a boot on any other cylinder and the rpm drops creating a miss. I am at my witts end because it has everything it needs to fire but does not. Please help. Thank You.

Try swapping the ignition coil for the bad cyl to another location and see if the miss follows the change. The right front is the #4 cyl. so that makes a plug swap more difficult. You do know that the coil for the #2 (LF) cyl is actually the coil on the RF? And the LF coil fires the RF cylinder?

I have a 98 Vmax with the #4 cylinder not firing. I have fuel, air, spark and good compression. I live in Commifornia so the gas goes bad in like 2 weeks but in this case it sat for 3 months so I replaced the gas and shotgunned the system 3 times now. Can't sync the carbs due to the cylinder not firing. I replaced the plugs and no change. I checked to make sure the air/fuel screw was out the correct turns to make sure I didn't skip that step in the shotgun steps and it is good. I can pull the boot off the plug with no change in rpm on that cylinder and can hear the spark pulse when I pull off the boot. I pull off a boot on any other cylinder and the rpm drops creating a miss. I am at my witts end because it has everything it needs to fire but does not. Please help. Thank You.
At minimum I would split the rack, get the #4 carb off and apart for a soak in the carb cleaner. The Ultra-bath is best, ultrasonic with a new kit! Git-er done

Our pilot jets don't like sitting idle for months with ethanol fuel. gentsvmax suggestion is a good one, especially about the ultrasonic cleaning. It works.

Try swapping the ignition coil for the bad cyl to another location and see if the miss follows the change. The right front is the #4 cyl. so that makes a plug swap more difficult. You do know that the coil for the #2 (LF) cyl is actually the coil on the RF? And the LF coil fires the RF cylinder?
I will try the swap. I followed the plug wire to the coil to make sure the connection was good on the plug wire also and saw the coils do face opposite ways. I will try swapping wires to see if the problem changes cylinders when I get home. Appreciate the help.

Back