Drivers Backrest

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemax04

Reaction score
If any of you out there have a back injury, this helped me. Broke my spine in two places a while back and even though it's healed, prolonged strain on it will make it complain. Hanging on to the bars at speeds will put that pressure through your spine. Here I made my own support out of a new lawn mower blade because it's spring steel, will give but retain it's shape and has just the right amount of bounce to it. Copied the eagle (actually Pontiac Firebird) from the Net on a printer and with a zig zag sewing machine, sewed it right on the vinyl. Turned out OK for an amateur and his first attempt ever and by using different color thread.

Attachments

• Backrest.jpg
    Backrest.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 125
How does the rest attach to the bike ? Does the back rest bolt onto the back part of the seat hump? The part that pops forward when you fill up for gas. One of the other pics I seen of your bike doesn't include the back rest on it.

I wouldn't mind one but nothing that won't pop off in a second or two. Nice job for a first time.

Robbarrie said:
How does the rest attach to the bike ? Does the back rest bolt onto the back part of the seat hump? The part that pops forward when you fill up for gas. One of the other pics I seen of your bike doesn't include the back rest on it.

I wouldn't mind one but nothing that won't pop off in a second or two. Nice job for a first time.
The rest attaches to the same place the back seat is attached. Just took a few pictures to give you an idea. Note the "U" bend. It has holes at each end which the bolts go through that hold the rear seat in place. The two fasteners you see are called wingbolts because I welded a wingnut to the bolt for quick removal and no tools. Remove the back seat and form your bracket to fit like a glove on the inside "U" of the seat. The bracket should come back and rest on the cross member just before the clip that holds the stretchie for the tool compartment. The vertical bracket should come straight up and just barely rest on the back seat. At the upper portion of the back seat is where the bend in the bracket should be and not before. Bend depends on riding position/padded rest/comfort of each individual. Installation or removal takes less than 1 minute.

Attachments

• FrontBR.jpg
    FrontBR.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 60
  • RearBR.jpg
    RearBR.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
The rest attaches to the same place the back seat is attached. Just took a few pictures to give you an idea. Note the "U" bend. It has holes at each end which the bolts go through that hold the rear seat in place. The two fasteners you see are called wingbolts because I welded a wingnut to the bolt for quick removal and no tools. Remove the back seat and form your bracket to fit like a glove on the inside "U" of the seat. The bracket should come back and rest on the cross member just before the clip that holds the stretchie for the tool compartment. The vertical bracket should come straight up and just barely rest on the back seat. At the upper portion of the back seat is where the bend in the bracket should be and not before. Bend depends on riding position/padded rest/comfort of each individual. Installation or removal takes less than 1 minute.
Mike....how much did it cost you...if you werent to have the eagle on it?
I'm interested but dumb when it comes to making things like that.
Randy

Dreamster66 said:
Mike....how much did it cost you...if you werent to have the eagle on it?
I'm interested but dumb when it comes to making things like that.
Randy
Not quite sure exactly what you're asking me Randy. I made the whole backrest from stuff I had lying around. Saw a picture of one 3 years ago and decided it wasn't hard to do. Not sure anymore where I saw it but Caber's Drivers Backrest is still on the Net through Google but couldn't find them. They sold for about $125 at that time in plain black vinyl. Anymore I just make mods for myself. If you know someone that's handy with hacksaw and welder, I'd be glad to help all I can. It's easy to do and a pad can be had from eBay at a good price already covered. This is a good time to start some mods.

Re: Driver backrest

is there anyone who makes a driver backrest for the vmax?Thanks,Chad

Merged... I think this is your best bet...

I know of no one that makes one for a stock Vmax. Corbin doesn't offer it either because of the fuel plug they use...

Back