Ignition problem; Motor starts and runs - but dies!...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"From the other end"?
IMO a coil resistance would be the same no matter which way around you measure it.
Do you mean at the end of the wires? The reading here shows approx 0,4 Ohms more than measured directly on the pick-up coil.
I´m not sure I quite understand what you mean - please help me...
Yes, I agree it should measure the same either way. I was interested in seeing what reading you got, not much difference. The reading is more-than I'd expect, the initial reading. See post #5. Have you tried it yet, installed/running? I expect the ignition box would want to 'see' a load/impedance within factory specs. I'm no E.E., (but my wife is 41+years, on 'big stuff' power generation & transmission). but my understanding is that systems want to 'read' loads for which they're designed, and other than that can cause failures. You might want to try contacting the supplier to discuss what you found in your impedance reading.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree it should measure the same either way. I was interested in seeing what reading you got, not much difference. The reading is more-than I'd expect, the initial reading. See post #5. Have you tried it yet, installed/running? I expect the ignition box would want to 'see' a load/impedance within factory specs. I'm no E.E., (but my wife is 41+years, on 'big stuff' power generation & transmission). but my understanding is that systems want to 'read' loads for which they're designed, and other than that can cause failures. You might want to try contacting the supplier to discuss what you found in your impedance reading.
I haven't installed it yet, as most sparepart dealers have a policy regarding electical components, that when it once has been fitted they do not accept a return/refund. And even though it is an OEM-part, it still is kind of pricy.
And yes no doubt that these electronic systems are quite delicate and sensitive.
As you suggest I have written a complaint/question to the supplier a few minutes ago.:)

Yes, I think you need to get input from them before using the component. It should be in-spec. Replace it if it isn't. Unused

Yes, I think you need to get input from them before using the component. It should be in-spec. Replace it if it isn't. Unused
This is the answer I got from the supplier. I think it sounds a little bit odd - what do you think about that?...🤔
I'm seriously considering ordering it (at another supplier) as the original spare part, to make sure it will be ok - even though the price is almost the double...

Attachments

• 2023-05-15 ElectroStator svar.PNG
    2023-05-15 ElectroStator svar.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
OK my knowledge of electrical theory and function is pretty-much basic. I personally know of no reason why you would "divide the reading by two."

To 'phone a friend,' I asked an electrical engineer (my wife, 41+ years in that role) about this, and she could not provide me with a reason to perform such a calculation when measuring the impedance.

Frankly, I think that I would return the piece, and choose another supplier, and check the impedance before use. I suspect you will find that one built properly will fall within the values from the factory manual I posted earlier.

Electronics need to be operational within their design parameters to function properly, when presented with values outside of that, their function can be compromised, they won't do what they're supposed to do, and their longevity is shortened. Look what happens to a wet-cell battery when the regulator/rectifier starts sending it excess voltage, say 18 volts DC. It boils-off its water and soon fails.

If someone wants to correct me, or to offer additional input please do. I may learn something.

Last edited:
OK my knowledge of electrical theory and function is pretty-much basic. I personally know of no reason why you would "divide the reading by two."

To 'phone a friend,' I asked an electrical engineer (my wife, 41+ years in that role) about this, and she could not provide me with a reason to perform such a calculation when measuring the impedance.

Frankly, I think that I would return the piece, and choose another supplier, and check the impedance before use. I suspect you will find that one built properly will fall within the values from the factory manual I posted earlier.

Electronics need to be operational within their design parameters to function properly, when presented with values outside of that, their function can be compromised, they won't do what they're supposed to do, and their longevity is shortened. Look what happens to a wet-cell battery when the regulator/rectifier starts sending it excess voltage, say 18 volts DC. It boils-off its water and soon fails.

If someone wants to correct me, or to offer additional input please do. I may learn something.
Now THIS is more like it! And, as a bonus I don't even have to "divide the reading by two"...🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_E3711.JPG
    IMG_E3711.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
Today I had the first real ride, a couple hundred km's.
VMax is happy = I'm happy!😁
Thanks for the great input and help; Fire-medic, Radioguylogs and one2dmax - it's so much appreciated.👍:)
Tomorrow my son and I are going to a local Rallycross & Crosscart event, and I look so much forward to go there on the VMax.:cool:

Glad it's cookin', ride safely and post some pics of the competition.

Back