Now we're talking ...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said it before and I'll say it again, the Z1 and derivatives (Z900 and Z1000
up to A3 when the cam covers and tanks became square) are IMO the best looking bike ever made (air cooled roadster type).
You're from the land of the Triumph Speed Twin, the pre-WW II engineering masterpiece from one of the best engineers, ever, Edwin Turner.

1630769591695.jpeg

The various Vincent V-twins.

Vincent engines.02.jpg
Vincent-Black Lightning 1952.jpg

A BSA Gold Star restored by my friend in western NYS, and exhibited at the St. Augustine FL Riding Into History bike show.

BSA Gold Star Norm Robinson.02.jpg

Yes, all those were stand-outs in their own time, and well-remembered today.

To combine the chassis experience of England's experts (the Rickman brothers), and the engineering of the New York Steak (the in-house secret project name for the Z-1) team, I present the Rickman-Kawasaki. Almost Perfect: 1976 Rickman Kawasaki CR - Motorcycle Classics | Exciting and evocative articles and photographs of the most brilliant, unusual and popular motorcycles ever made!

1630772670357.png

I have one of these awaiting its turn.

Rickman-Honda ad.jpg

Bought a new 1982 LTD 1000 off the showroom floor for $4300. It was a toss up between a Honda CB 900C with dual gear range for 10 gears. The Kawasaki was more compact and fit better. Loved that bike but got my license suspended within 6 months. Smooth and fast. Had to buy a Wide Glide to slow me down. I sold the LTD to my brother when I went in to the Navy in 1983. Should have put it in storage... The pictured bike below is not mine, but identical.

1630780184451.png

I don't know, man. I had a brand new ZL900 Eliminator in '85. Had a really nice one that got totaled ten years ago. They were a beauteous bike in my eyes. Low, mean, all business. In '85, I had very little competition...well except for my buddy with the '84 (first year) Ninja. (Er, uh...and another buddy who one-upped me and bought an '85 Vmax).
Dang, the 80's were a good time for motorcycles.

The ZL900/1000s are rare birds nowadays! I remember the ads for them, Rule the boulevard with the "Eliminator".

The shop in south FL I frequent, one of the guys built this 1000 LTD, while at a glance it appears somewhat stock, there is little 'stock' about it. A 'J' model KZ1000 engine enlarged 'a bit.' And other mods, pretty-much everywhere, hence the bike's name. It's built to be a cruiser with a quarter-mile style, and the work to have fun there, if he chooses, but if he wants to go seriously-fast, he'll take his Hyabusa with NOS, lots of electronics, and a lengthened swingarm. It's street-licensed.

Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD Troy.01.jpgKawasaki KZ1000 LTD Troy.03.jpgKawasaki KZ1000 LTD Troy.04.jpgKawasaki KZ1000 LTS Troy.02.jpg
Hyabusa-Troy.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind a BSA Goldstar but don't think I want to relearn riding with RH gear change.

Vincents far too ££££

One missed from the list in Norton Commando, now unless I'm mistaken, the later models (not the reborn modern ones) did have a LH gear change.
Screenshot_20210904-215220.jpg

Latest posts

Back