• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted OEM Muffler GEN 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBryan91

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for a Gen 1 Muffler system for my max. Located in Texas. I have the cobra slip-ons currently and want to go back stock. TIA!

Don't forget to see that the OEM jetting is replaced too. Pull a carburetor diaphragm cap off (easy to do from either side of the bike) . Compare the shape of the needle in the slide center that the diaphragm is attached to, against this chart. You want the OEM needle in there.

For the main jet, you can use 152.5 (which is usually OEM for < a mile above sea level), 150, or 147.5. The 150 or 147.5 will probably make your bike run better.

The diaphragm caps (not what the arrows are pointing at, those are the carb float bowl drain screws).

VMax carbs.jpg

Pull-out the diaphragm and attached slide, and remove the needle, and compare it to the ones below. Note the USA OEM needle has a single slot for the internal e-clip while the aftermarket needles have 5 slots to place the e-clip.

VMax carburetor needles.jpgVMax carburetor needles-Sean.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I was told the bike was jetted but never verified it. I got a digi sync and synced the carbs then attempted to adjust a/f per known forum members post. I still have occasional popping. The exhaust is a slip on cobra and I’m thinking the jets are stock causing a rich condition along with the air filter being a k&n setup. The bike is sluggish down low and runs pretty strong in mid to high range. I am so sick of the random gunshots LOL

Last edited:
I have the cobra slip-ons on my bike also. Pulled the carbs and I have the stock jets, guess the previous owner didn't rejet. Seems to run good, should I go up a size or 2?

Don’t quote me but with a larger exhaust it’s letting out air to quickly from the engine and would cause a rich condition. I’ve read that you actually go down on main jets then vacuum sync and tune accordingly. Im sure fire-medic will chime in. I dont know if mine is jetted or not. I’m at work and will check when I get home. All I know is I’ve exhausted all options at this point to eliminate the popping

I have the cobra slip-ons on my bike also. Pulled the carbs and I have the stock jets, guess the previous owner didn't rejet. Seems to run good, should I go up a size or 2?
The CV carburetors will run better if you go down 1 or 2 sizes, OEM is 152.5, next size smaller: 150. The next size smaller after 150 is 147.5. I have a full UFO Dragstar 4/1 and use 147.5 mains.

VMax carburetor USA and CALIF..png

Welp. I was LIED to. The bike does not have any jetting or aftermarket needles. All stock. Explains why I can’t get it to stop popping and running like poo down low….

Back