V max and rocket 3

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you aren't already insane then yes, riding these monster machines might push you slightly closer to that edge. but it's a good type of insanity, not without risks and rewards, wherein you get to live more in five minutes on either of those motorcycles than a lot of people do in their entire lifetime.

How's the rocket 3? Been eyeing them lately
Hi
The inside mews is they are gonna discontinue triumph rocket 3 by the end of this year just like v max .it’s lot more nimble than max .I will say v max is riding a lion and rocket is riding a bull. since v max is mid control so I will highly recommend GT model it can be fun to own two most iconic motorcycles good luck

Back in the spring of 1972, I was looking to buy a new bike. I was in MI at the time, and I went to look at a BSA Rocket III advertised in the community where I lived. The owner had bought it new, it didn't have a lot of miles, and he was out of the country because Uncle Sam gave him an all-expenses paid trip to Southeast Asia. When he got there, he wrote to his parents, and told them, "sell the BSA. I'll buy another bike if I make it home."

1691609962028.png
Note the 3 pipes at the exhaust ends, a controversial style of the time.

1691610410334.png

Each of the two mufflers had 'em. To the chagrin of owners who replaced them they lost significant HP because the factory engineers had done a good job of using them to tune the powerband. The first BSA Rocket III's had twin leading shoe drum brakes in front. Note the slight forward angle of the cylinders. Triumph's Trident had theirs upright.

1691610669922.png

I took it for a test ride, and it was easily the most powerful bike I I'd ridden to that time. My ride at the time was a Honda CL77 Scrambler, which with its streetbike the CB77 Superhawk, both 305 cc parallel-twin SOHC designs, probably did more to convince the motorcycling public that Honda was a good bike to ride, than any Honda before them. By now, the SOHC CB750 had been out for several years, Kawasaki had their H1 500 two-stroke triple, and the H2 750 two-stroke triple, and there was news of a 'really-big' Kawasaki on the horizon, scheduled for the USA soon. Yamaha had the XS-1 650 parallel/vertical twin SOHC, and Suzuki had a 550 cc two-stroke triple, and a range of smaller versions too. They released the GT750 two-stroke triple, which was smooth and powerful. While the GT750 was faster than the H1, it was slower than the H2.

The Triumph Trident was another 750 four-stroke OHV triple, and the BSA was able to be identified because the cylinder bank was canted forward 15 degrees, while the Triumph cylinders were vertical. The Triumph Trident:

1691610726483.png

Internally, the Rocket III and the Trident were similar, though the side cases were designed to reflect the history and style of each of the companies.

Norton had the 750 Commando, which with its rubber suspension mounting of the engine, made for a less-vibration prone ride. The British manufacturers were taking it on the chin in the marketplace, and would soon be defunct, or operating at a small percent of their former dominance. Before WW II BSA had been the #1 motorcycle manufacturer in the world. After WWII, cheap transportation was needed in the defeated nations, and DKW had filled that gap, with two-stroke bikes while developing fearsome roadracing models before WW II and continuing after, which made use of tuned exhausts and innovative port ducting (the Schnurle principle) to gain a boost in horsepower above what four-strokes could provide. The expansion chamber idea after WW II which was first developed by DKW, was a closely-guarded secret until in a legendary bit of industrial espionage, Suzuki convinced a DKW racer who was also an engineer and mechanic (Walter Kaaden), to emigrate to Japan with the knowledge of the two-stroke expansion chamber engineering. Like Promethius, the secret was put to good use.

1691609509029.png

A 1951 DKW 350cc two-stroke triple, ridden by Ewald Kluge, sporting expansion chambers for two-strokes. Kaaden improved upon the initial design by a DKW engineer, Erich Wolf.

At the motorcycling Grand Prix level, MV Agusta made inline-four DOHC engines, and they also made streetbikes using their Grand Prix designs, except that the bikes were shaft-drive. Rumor has it that the Count (Agusta) did that so his own public-consumption motorcycles could not be raced against the factory machines.

A Rocket III ad:
1691610891050.png

British manufacturers were not afraid to use women in their ads, because "sex sells."

The Rocket III I test-rode? I thanked the parents of the Army owner, and waited a couple months to buy my first new Yamaha, a 360 Enduro, which I still have. It's now > 50 years old.

Last edited:
if you aren't already insane then yes, riding these monster machines might push you slightly closer to that edge. but it's a good type of insanity, not without risks and rewards, wherein you get to live more in five minutes on either of those motorcycles than a lot of people do in their entire lifetime.

You wrote that very aptly, especially the Vmax is so full of emotion and that's exactly what we're all looking for here!!! Rationalists condemn any kind of feeling and reject us motorcyclists... Poor people, I think!

Back in the spring of 1972, I was looking to buy a new bike. I was in MI at the time, and I went to look at a BSA Rocket III advertised in the community where I lived. The owner had bought it new, it didn't have a lot of miles, and he was out of the country because Uncle Sam gave him an all-expenses paid trip to Southeast Asia. When he got there, he wrote to his parents, and told them, "sell the BSA. I'll buy another bike if I make it home."

View attachment 90564
Note the 3 pipes at the exhaust ends, a controversial style of the time.

View attachment 90565

Each of the two mufflers had 'em. To the chagrin of owners who replaced them they lost significant HP because the factory engineers had done a good job of using them to tune the powerband. The first BSA Rocket III's had twin leading shoe drum brakes in front. Note the slight forward angle of the cylinders. Triumph's Trident had theirs upright.

View attachment 90566

I took it for a test ride, and it was easily the most powerful bike I I'd ridden to that time. My ride at the time was a Honda CL77 Scrambler, which with its streetbike the CB77 Superhawk, both 305 cc parallel-twin SOHC designs, probably did more to convince the motorcycling public that Honda was a good bike to ride, than any Honda before them. By now, the SOHC CB750 had been out for several years, Kawasaki had their H1 500 two-stroke triple, and the H2 750 two-stroke triple, and there was news of a 'really-big' Kawasaki on the horizon, scheduled for the USA soon. Yamaha had the XS-1 650 parallel/vertical twin SOHC, and Suzuki had a 550 cc two-stroke triple, and a range of smaller versions too. They released the GT750 two-stroke triple, which was smooth and powerful. While the GT750 was faster than the H1, it was slower than the H2.

The Triumph Trident was another 750 four-stroke OHV triple, and the BSA was able to be identified because the cylinder bank was canted forward 15 degrees, while the Triumph cylinders were vertical. The Triumph Trident:

View attachment 90567

Internally, the Rocket III and the Trident were similar, though the side cases were designed to reflect the history and style of each of the companies.

Norton had the 750 Commando, which with its rubber suspension mounting of the engine, made for a less-vibration prone ride. The British manufacturers were taking it on the chin in the marketplace, and would soon be defunct, or operating at a small percent of their former dominance. Before WW II BSA had been the #1 motorcycle manufacturer in the world. After WWII, cheap transportation was needed in the defeated nations, and DKW had filled that gap, with two-stroke bikes while developing fearsome roadracing models before WW II and continuing after, which made use of tuned exhausts and innovative port ducting (the Schnurle principle) to gain a boost in horsepower above what four-strokes could provide. The expansion chamber idea after WW II which was first developed by DKW, was a closely-guarded secret until in a legendary bit of industrial espionage, Suzuki convinced a DKW racer who was also an engineer and mechanic (Walter Kaaden), to emigrate to Japan with the knowledge of the two-stroke expansion chamber engineering. Like Promethius, the secret was put to good use.

View attachment 90563

A 1951 DKW 350cc two-stroke triple, ridden by Ewald Kluge, sporting expansion chambers for two-strokes. Kaaden improved upon the initial design by a DKW engineer, Erich Wolf.

At the motorcycling Grand Prix level, MV Agusta made inline-four DOHC engines, and they also made streetbikes using their Grand Prix designs, except that the bikes were shaft-drive. Rumor has it that the Count (Agusta) did that so his own public-consumption motorcycles could not be raced against the factory machines.

A Rocket III ad:
View attachment 90568

British manufacturers were not afraid to use women in their ads, because "sex sells."

The Rocket III I test-rode? I thanked the parents of the Army owner, and waited a couple months to buy my first new Yamaha, a 360 Enduro, which I still have. It's now > 50 years old.
Damn I Really Like Your History Classes. Much Appreciated!!👊👊

Alot of times I go straight to FM's posts just for the info, experience and the pics! Thanks for the written ride FM!
Sure, you're welcome. I could write more but I try to leave it at a size where people can read it quickly & easily. I like to read other peoples' stories about their bike ownership, and things they have done.

Bonus pics! From my friend's shop.

A recently delivered GS1000 Suzuki undergoing a big-bore conversion, and an extended swingarm, old-style raked front end; it came in w/a USD Suzuki fork on it, and the shop owner/builder said, "put a traditional style front end back-on!" The owner agreed, and there it is. It should end up something around 1250cc, I forget the exact size.

1691687550517.png

Next is something from my garage, "use the correct tool for the job." A 9" Ford-style rear end needed the splined studs installed, those which secure the pumpkin to the center member. I went from a 1/2" manual ratchet, to an electric impact ratchet, and then an Ingersoll-Rand 230 pneumatic impact gun. None of them worked to draw-up the 3/8" X 24 tpi hardened studs. I called the manufacturer and gave them what I measured the holes at, and the studs at the splines, suggesting the holes were undersize. After waiting for a call-back, and not receiving one, I called again and got someone to give me what I needed to know. I took another 0.030" off the holes, and then was able to use the I-R 230 pneumatic impact gun to get them drawn-up tight, at the price of two ruined hardened nuts. I think another 0.005" could have been removed to make it not so-much of a struggle. Anyway, it's done, so now the axle can be mounted, the pumpkin installed, then the axles, and the rear disc brakes.

1691687636300.jpeg

One of the nuts I was using to pull-in the splined studs, stripped-out. I had to use a nut splitter to remove it, and the tool performed well. It's an OEMTools brand, lifetime guarantee, I'll look to see what other tools they have. In the recent past, I've bought some Astro Tools, mechanics tools of various types, like their 'Goliath' C-clamp for doing suspension work; and a riv-nut setter which has long handles on it, for better leverage. I also got an Astro Tools front end press set, for tie rods and ball joints. Well-designed tools make stubborn jobs easier, quicker, and safer. As a shade-tree mechanic, working in his garage, I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, so generally I bypass the Snap-On level of expenditure. I do have a few Snappy things.

1691687745110.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought my Rocket 3R Chrome edition in April. What a machine! Still love my 2018 VMAX!!! Congrats and be safe!
Hi bud
I am feeling like grind in first gear between 5 to 10 miles and once it speed up it goes away .dealer said it’s normal since it’s new and have 60 miles on it .dealer said at low rpm it happen.did you feel same thing on your rocket 3 first time you ride?

Also did you experience code 12 or crank shaft position error on your v max and had to change the stator coil because bike will stop thanks
Gorki

Sure, you're welcome. I could write more but I try to leave it at a size where people can read it quickly & easily. I like to read other peoples' stories about their bike ownership, and things they have done.

Bonus pics! From my friend's shop.

A recently delivered GS1000 Suzuki undergoing a big-bore conversion, and an extended swingarm, old-style raked front end; it came in w/a USD Suzuki fork on it, and the shop owner/builder said, "put a traditional style front end back-on!" The owner agreed, and there it is. It should end up something around 1250cc, I forget the exact size.

View attachment 90580

Next is something from my garage, "use the correct tool for the job." A 9" Ford-style rear end needed the splined studs installed, those which secure the pumpkin to the center member. I went from a 1/2" manual ratchet, to an electric impact ratchet, and then an Ingersoll-Rand 230 pneumatic impact gun. None of them worked to draw-up the 3/8" X 24 tpi hardened studs. I called the manufacturer and gave them what I measured the holes at, and the studs at the splines, suggesting the holes were undersize. After waiting for a call-back, and not receiving one, I called again and got someone to give me what I needed to know. I took another 0.030" off the holes, and then was able to use the I-R 230 pneumatic impact gun to get them drawn-up tight, at the price of two ruined hardened nuts. I think another 0.005" could have been removed to make it not so-much of a struggle. Anyway, it's done, so now the axle can be mounted, the pumpkin installed, then the axles, and the rear disc brakes.

View attachment 90581

One of the nuts I was using to pull-in the splined studs, stripped-out. I had to use a nut splitter to remove it, and the tool performed well. It's an OEMTools brand, lifetime guarantee, I'll look to see what other tools they have. In the recent past, I've bought some Astro Tools, mechanics tools of various types, like their 'Goliath' C-clamp for doing suspension work; and a riv-nut setter which has long handles on it, for better leverage. I also got an Astro Tools front end press set, for tie rods and ball joints. Well-designed tools make stubborn jobs easier, quicker, and safer. As a shade-tree mechanic, working in his garage, I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, so generally I bypass the Snap-On level of expenditure. I do have a few Snappy things.

View attachment 90582
Another great post! Im curious about the choice to go back to stock forks on the bike and about where the 9" is going.

The shop owner and chief mechanic/fabricator has the idea that an air-cooled bike should look similar to how it looked originally. That's the explanation for traditional forks vs the USD type. If the owner really wanted to stay with the USD forks, he could have.

This is going to be a street and strip bike. Unfortunately, the only 1/4 mile dragstrip in the southeast FL area has closed, W. Palm Beach/Moroso. The next closest strip is 226 miles away, Bradenton. There will be increased use of 'Bloody 27,' US-27 out of Miami as a street-racers' location.

The 9" Ford-style rear end is for a project my son and I are working on, not a bike. He isn't a motorcycle rider.

Love my Rocket, definitely the pride of my collection. Even out does the Fat Boy. MT09 is also badass. The Triumph Trident is great also, so light you can throw it around so easy.

Attachments

• 20210708_162852.jpg
    20210708_162852.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210413_162213.jpg
    20210413_162213.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210413_162139.jpg
    20210413_162139.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20211002_181053.jpg
    20211002_181053.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Congratulations on the new edition, good luck with it!!! I think the rocket is super nice looking bike. For my second bike I’d like a m109 they look sleek as well, right now I’m enjoying every minute I ride my Vmax it’s just something about it. Good luck

One of my friends who is a G.C. and lives south of Daytona Beach, in Melbourne, has had many bikes since he was a teenager, starting out with a CB750 SOHC back in the '70's. He had Kawasaki sportbikes, and now has an M109 Suzuki, which he rides when we're at Bike Week. It's much more powerful than an Evo H-D Softail I was on. I like the looks too. It's the 2nd one he's had, he had one in CO when he was building a spec home in Durango. That sold, he sold the bike, and moved back to FL, and bought another M109.

Back