Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is still doing it, 5 days later. Everything has been dried and I will work on checking for corrosion and anything else suspicious in the electrical system.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the willingness to help! I would love to get this sucker running correctly.

Cracks in coils usually on the bottoms and corroded wires-You won't get that with cops.

It is still doing it, 5 days later. Everything has been dried and I will work on checking for corrosion and anything else suspicious in the electrical system.

Thanks, I appreciate all of the willingness to help! I would love to get this sucker running correctly.

Even check for corrosion around where the ECU plugs in, Ive seen it build up there before. I like the electrical cleaner in a spray can (I got mine from radio shack).

With a multimeter set to 200 ohms your stock coils will show 4.2 ohms
Your denso 4800 will show 2.6-2.7
With your cop hooked up to the harness and reading from the end of the coupling connector with a resistor inline it should read 4.2 ohms-the exact same as your stock coil.

I am not sure if I am measuring this properly. But with my multimeter set at 200 ohms it reads as follows:

Just contacting the two points on the COP alone
LR 1.6
LF 1.6
RR 1.7
RF 1.7

Contacting each end of the section of the harness w/ the resistor
LR 2.6
LF 2.5
RR 2.4
RF 2.4

Let me know if this procedure is incorrect.

I am not sure if I am measuring this properly. But with my multimeter set at 200 ohms it reads as follows:

Just contacting the two points on the COP alone
LR 1.6
LF 1.6
RR 1.7
RF 1.7

Contacting each end of the section of the harness w/ the resistor
LR 2.6
LF 2.5
RR 2.4
RF 2.4

Let me know if this procedure is incorrect.

129700-4800 1.6 Ohms (the coil sticks that you have)

Well your getting the reading that you should.

Hey everyone! I just joined here. I just picked up a 1998 Vmax with just under 48,000 miles on it. My first Vmax. I'm pretty excited about it and I have already put over 300 miles on it myself. I love this bike! I've been Google searching some minor issues I've noticed with my Max and this forum has been on the first couple of search results and usually has the answer to my issue. I'll be performing a Peeshooter and probably a Shotgun on my Max if the Seafoam, I currently have in my tank, doesn't clean it up first. But its running alot better than it was when I got it with just the seafoam treatment.

hello there ,i'm from derbyshire uk,i have an 85 vmax from california as a daily runner and a 98 vmax as a parts bike and xvs1100 as a daily runner and a 59 hillman minx as a daily runner although i tend to use the car when its raining or winter,thanks john

Welcome to the forum Lammy426. Any Vmax question that you have can be answered on this forum (as well as a lot of nonvmax questions)

Welcome to the forum Lammy426. Any Vmax question that you have can be answered on this forum (as well as a lot of nonvmax questions)

many thanks ,there is a question whats the difference between an 85 speedo drive and a 98 speedo drive ,they have different part numbers but do they fit each other i know the 85 drive fit the 98 wheel but will the 85 drive fit 98 forks,many thanks john

many thanks ,there is a question whats the difference between an 85 speedo drive and a 98 speedo drive ,they have different part numbers but do they fit each other i know the 85 drive fit the 98 wheel but will the 85 drive fit 98 forks,many thanks john

The only difference between all of the speedos is purely cosmetic. IE, color, Some have a red 55 mph, etc. Physically, they are all the same.

not the speedo the part on the wheel/axle that makes the speedo work,you might have a different name for it in the usa ,thanks john

LOL, sorry too early in the morning, I didnt see the "drive" part, and yep to the best of my knowledge, they are all the same.

LOL, sorry too early in the morning, I didnt see the "drive" part, and yep to the best of my knowledge, they are all the same.

they a different part numbers in the parts book but that could be just the colour,i have put the 98 wheels on the 85 bike and was thinking of using the bigger forks aswell but not sure if its worth it,might be best to put the bike back to standard because of the early 0188 vin number

they a different part numbers in the parts book but that could be just the colour,i have put the 98 wheels on the 85 bike and was thinking of using the bigger forks aswell but not sure if its worth it,might be best to put the bike back to standard because of the early 0188 vin number

Sorry I shoulve said....physically all the same.

Some people say that the 85 is more desirable, and there are certain people on the forum, that will immediately ask "Whats the last 4 of the vin" when ever someone post that they have an 85.

Ive never seen an 85 get anymore, or any less price than any others. Because the Gen 1 Vmax was put out for 22 years, and was virtually unchanged all that time a first time buyer is just looking for the best and cheapest version that they can buy.

Now me personally, Ive got an 07, and 86, and gonna pick up another 86 (PCW 1260). The first 86 I'm gonna convert to an 85 (I have an 85 frame), will it be numbers matching......no. Will it get added to the collection, and made into an 85 for the collection. (Looking for an 05 as well, eventually).

Bottom line....its yours.....have fun with it, and make it into your version of a perfect Vmax. Either back to stock, or make a 1570 out of it.

Sorry I shoulve said....physically all the same.

Some people say that the 85 is more desirable, and there are certain people on the forum, that will immediately ask "Whats the last 4 of the vin" when ever someone post that they have an 85.

Ive never seen an 85 get anymore, or any less price than any others. Because the Gen 1 Vmax was put out for 22 years, and was virtually unchanged all that time a first time buyer is just looking for the best and cheapest version that they can buy.

Now me personally, Ive got an 07, and 86, and gonna pick up another 86 (PCW 1260). The first 86 I'm gonna convert to an 85 (I have an 85 frame), will it be numbers matching......no. Will it get added to the collection, and made into an 85 for the collection. (Looking for an 05 as well, eventually).

Bottom line....its yours.....have fun with it, and make it into your version of a perfect Vmax. Either back to stock, or make a 1570 out of it.

what does 1570 mean i don't know all this lingo stuff,thanks john

what does 1570 mean i don't know all this lingo stuff,thanks john

Thats ok. The 1260 that i spoke of, has been bored to 1260 CC's. More hp, etc. Now you can take the Venture 1300 engine (a bigger version of the Vmax engine), swap cams, heads, etc, and bore and stroke out to a (I believe a maximum) of 1570 CC's. VERY EXPENSIVE to do, but if you want maximum hp out of a gen 1, thats the way to go.

Marcus comes to mind. A gen 1, that will out perform Gen 2's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIEESw3j7U

Thats ok. The 1260 that i spoke of, has been bored to 1260 CC's. More hp, etc. Now you can take the Venture 1300 engine (a bigger version of the Vmax engine), swap cams, heads, etc, and bore and stroke out to a (I believe a maximum) of 1570 CC's. VERY EXPENSIVE to do, but if you want maximum hp out of a gen 1, thats the way to go.

Marcus comes to mind. A gen 1, that will out perform Gen 2's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIEESw3j7U

no won't be doing any reboring for power its got plenty for me maybe 20 years ago but my joints are shot and struggle with a standard one infact if my back and hips get much worse i will have to build a trike just to keep biking

no won't be doing any reboring for power its got plenty for me maybe 20 years ago but my joints are shot and struggle with a standard one infact if my back and hips get much worse i will have to build a trike just to keep biking

Then why dont you modify for comfort them, or build a trike, etc. Its your bike.....have fun with it.

Latest posts

Back