No Carbtune reading on #2 carb

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the results of the compression test: #4 carb has 180lbs, the rest are 177lbs and this is cols as I have the carb rack off. I left the compression gauge hooked up at each cylinder for 10 minutes with very little loss on the gauge. The only thing I can think of to do is either swap #2 carb with one of the others or try to find someone with a spare working carb to try?

As I said earlier when it was together I sprayed the hell out of all the carb and manifold boots and gaskets with no change in RPMs or fluid being "sucked in".

All the rubber items on #2 carb look great!

I would inspect manifolds very close for cracks or loose bolts or bad O-ring. This is a pic of the manifold where it bolt on to the engine head.

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 27
I personally would pull the valve covers and check for a broken camshaft or spring while you are waiting on parts. You could get that variable out of the equation, then again you may in fact find a broken cam shaft.

If you want to send me the carbs I can put them on my test engine and see if the Carbtune readings duplicate....determine whether the carbs are the problem or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 28
If you want to send me the carbs I can put them on my test engine and see if the Carbtune readings duplicate....determine whether the carbs are the problem or not.

Now that's a good option, you should definitely do that........Dannymax is the best and if you have a problem he will find it......I say DO IT!!

Thanks Dannymax, If the new boots and coasting enricher diaphragm does not cure the problem I will contact you on your offer!
Ray Menard

I've had similar issue when putting on another set of carbs. not sure if sync tab was bent but i ended up having to turn screw lots in and others out and got it to read and sync up....think that was mentioned a few pages back. worth a shot. but sending it to the mad scientist....i mean Danny would result in fine running set of carbs....

+1 regarding the Professor of BRC.No one better. But I was thinking (smells like wood burning now) what Joe said about the cam shaft. No vacum, but good compression. Is the intake valve opening? Pull the carbs and manifolds for an o-ring check, and watch the valve action?

If the cam was broken on #2: wouldn't the motor run rough?, The plug is burning just like the rest. Both #2 and #4 exhaust are basically the same temp. There is suction on the #2 throat when I palm it was running and seems to be about the same as the other 3 carbs! The motor runs fairly smooth and revs up good above 1600 RPM when warm. I'm not trying to argue with all the suggestions about the broken cam, I just do not think so based on the above!

If the cam was broken on #2: wouldn't the motor run rough?, The plug is burning just like the rest. Both #2 and #4 exhaust are basically the same temp. There is suction on the #2 throat when I palm it was running and seems to be about the same as the other 3 carbs! The motor runs fairly smooth and revs up good above 1600 RPM when warm. I'm not trying to argue with all the suggestions about the broken cam, I just do not think so based on the above!

I might be wrong....but I'm with you. All else fails, send the carbs to Danny for him to test.

Update: Dannymax strikes again! For those of you have been following this posting and have been very helpful, I just received my carbs back from Dannymax. He cleaned the carbs, replaced all needed parts, replaced the Phillips screws with hex head screws, and sent me a video showing the carbs on the carbtune and idling, restarting and throttle response. He did this all and reshipped them in the same week for a very reasonable charge. So in conclusion, Thank You Danny!

I received the carbs on Friday, installed them on Saturday . Bike started right up, did not even need the enricher at all after it started. Did minor "tweaking" on the sync (which Danny said I would need to do), took bike out for a ride and it ran like new. Idles very smooth, no popping, quick and smooth throttle response. I am a happy camper!

Latest posts

Back