No Carbtune reading on #2 carb

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: Dannymax strikes again! For those of you have been following this posting and have been very helpful, I just received my carbs back from Dannymax. He cleaned the carbs, replaced all needed parts, replaced the Phillips screws with hex head screws, and sent me a video showing the carbs on the carbtune and idling, restarting and throttle response. He did this all and reshipped them in the same week for a very reasonable charge. So in conclusion, Thank You Danny!

Yes, Dannymax is the man for getting your Vmax carbs back into good running condition. He's got my vote on being #1 on carbs..........

I had this happen to me once were one cylinder would not read vacuum, it turned out to be a spilt hose for the one channel on the vacuum meter. I chased my ass for a few days on that one! Try to mix-up the hook-up of the hoses to see if the issue moves to a different cylinder? Update now that I have read all of the posts I see you have already fixed the issues.

I don't want to make enemies or start a fight with anyone but carbs are dannymax's income now and as a professional drag racer there are certain things you don't reveal. I have to say i would not blame or expect dannymax to respond.
Just my opinion.

I've had Danny do carbs for me three times now. He's a great guy. I'm pretty sure if this was something strange he would not hesitate to respond. We can all do our own work, but knowing when to let someone else do it is key.

I'm fairly certain my current issue with no vacuum reading is a sticky carbtune rid, but problems get described on here all the time. Some stuff I'll tackle myself, some stuff I send out.

I don't want to make enemies or start a fight with anyone but carbs are dannymax's income now and as a professional drag racer there are certain things you don't reveal. I have to say i would not blame or expect dannymax to respond.
Just my opinion.

The question is really pointed at Ray not Danny. Ray asked for our help. It most likely had nothing to do with carbs. Take the carb off, there is still vacuum in a normal cylinder. Just saying
To correct myself, the question was really about "his carbtune not reading". No vacuum was pure speculation.

Last edited:
While the carbs were at danny's I took the opportunity to replace all the carb - manifold boots and the boost boots. I do not think any of the old boots we leaking vacuum as I performed the WD40 test and the visual crack test. So the problem I'm surer was with the #2 carb. As far as the Carbtune having a bad hose, I did swap around the hoses and it made no difference.
Ray

Somehow I missed all the latest discussion on this thread....sorry.

I'm not withholding secret information, hell, I'm just here to help guys get their bikes running right....I love the work and enjoy the contact with everybody but I'm just an old retired guy keeping his hand in the game with a motorcycle I've loved since 1985.

But to clear up this issue....what did I find with Ray's carbs?....I didn't look for any one specific issue....I never do. One problem can easily mask another one.

Every set of carbs goes thru the exact same process, completely torn down and run thru the cleaning process....bad and worn parts get replaced and the rack reassembled and run on the test stand. 99.9% of the time that clears up the issue or issues and what the actual cause was, IMHO, doesn't matter.

I'M NOT WITHOLDING SECRET INFORMATION, hell, I'm just here to help guys get their bikes running right....I love the work and enjoy the contact with everybody but I'm just an old retired guy keeping his hand in the game with a motorcycle I've loved since 1985.

- Trying to withold secret info in this day and age, would be, as my dearly departed grandmother used to say - "as useless as a cat trying to cover up shit on a hardwood floor" Mr. Obama would find a way to squeeze it out of you, Danny.
- Given the reputation you have for quality of work at a resonable cost, I don't think you should feel obligated to include a detailed report of any issues found during a rebuild. The list of the cost of replaced parts should tell it all.
- A question for ya, and the other carb gurus on this forum -
If the purpose of a sync is just to measure and adjust VACUUM, why use fancy&expensive manometer devices, with their hoses, tubes, rods, mercury, transmission fluid, etc.,
when 4 simple VACUUM GAUGES will do the trick? I think my unit cost about thirty dollars to put together, and it works dandy!
The bottom line - why complicate things?
I'm done my ranting for today. CHEERS EVERYBODY!

Attachments

• vacuum@1500 rpm.jpg
    vacuum@1500 rpm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 27

I'M NOT WITHOLDING SECRET INFORMATION, hell, I'm just here to help guys get their bikes running right....I love the work and enjoy the contact with everybody but I'm just an old retired guy keeping his hand in the game with a motorcycle I've loved since 1985.

- Trying to withold secret info in this day and age, would be, as my dearly departed grandmother used to say - "as useless as a cat trying to cover up shit on a hardwood floor" Mr. Obama would find a way to squeeze it out of you, Danny.
- Given the reputation you have for quality of work at a resonable cost, I don't think you should feel obligated to include a detailed report of any issues found during a rebuild. The list of the cost of replaced parts should tell it all.
- A question for ya, and the other carb gurus on this forum -
If the purpose of a sync is just to measure and adjust VACUUM, why use fancy&expensive manometer devices, with their hoses, tubes, rods, mercury, transmission fluid, etc.,
when 4 simple VACUUM GAUGES will do the trick? I think my unit cost about thirty dollars to put together, and it works dandy!
The bottom line - why complicate things?
I'm done my ranting for today. CHEERS EVERYBODY!

I figure the parts used list pretty well explains the issues too Miles, besides, any detailed written explanation would just be confusing cause I don't write so good....but I do send out a short (45 - 60 sec.) running video at the completion of each rebuild showing idle, throttle response, sync and start up.

On sync (and not to be too picky) but the vacuum is not adjusted....it's measured and the throttle plates are adjusted so equal vacuum is being pulled by each carb.

I don't see why your gauge set-up wouldn't work as well as a Carbtune (altho there may be slightly more sensitivity with a Carbtune....have to count the increments on each to know for sure)

I figure the parts used list pretty well explains the issues too Miles, besides, any detailed written explanation would just be confusing cause I don't write so good....but I do send out a short (45 - 60 sec.) running video at the completion of each rebuild showing idle, throttle response, sync and start up.

On sync (and not to be too picky) but the vacuum is not adjusted....it's measured and the throttle plates are adjusted so equal vacuum is being pulled by each carb.

I don't see why your gauge set-up wouldn't work as well as a Carbtune (altho there may be slightly more sensitivity with a Carbtune....have to count the increments on each to know for sure)

Didn't know about the video - That's great of you, and most would consider that going "above and beyond the call of duty"-namely other carb repair shops.
AND the video should be enough to convince any customer that their carb rack went out your door in perfect running condition.
Yes, I knew that the vacuum itself is not adjusted. Sometimes this keyboard does not write what I'm trying to say. Probably time for a new one.
Cheers!

??????? no lights coming on re this one, Bud.
Is it this pic, showing vacuum at 1500 rpm?
What rpm is used when doing the adjustments???
It looks like you have mounted the gauges on a section of wood flooring. That's all, no technical interference intended.:biglaugh:
With my carbtune I use around 1500 rpm's to adjust sync.

I do mine at normal idle rpm.....although I know of others on this forum, that will do a sync at 3000 rpm.

It looks like you have mounted the gauges on a section of wood flooring. That's all, no technical interference intended.:biglaugh:
With my carbtune I use around 1500 rpm's to adjust sync.

HA! Got me on that one!
Yup, hardwood flooring, remnant of a recent reno.
Watch out, Brian, methinks I be owing you one...........................
Cheers!

Back