2009 vmax stalling issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pharmv

Reaction score
Hey all, used to be active in the the starvmaxforum but looks limke that is dead. See some familiar user names here like itgoes and this forum seems to be just as helpful.

So first, everything about my 2009 vmax:
-big air mod with k&n filter
-Vance and Hines exhaust with catalytic converter cut out.
-planning vmaxguru map for this setupand plugs to keep from popping
-7,500 miles on it. (Had some kids)
Would take it out at least once a year, to burn off gas and put fresh 93 in with fuel stabilizer.
I would like to start riding regularly again but am having a stalling issue that noticed before putting it away last winter. I had to actually bump start it at wawa (SNJ) and was able to get it home.
I keep a trickle charge all winter and it has always been garage kept.

i did my oil change/oil filter/ fresh battery about a week ago, drained gas and put in fresh. It idled fine and warmed up nicely. Main issue is when driving and coming to a stop, the bike would just stall out. Same thing if I am cruising at 65, and pull in the clutch, bike would just stall out. After about 10 minutes, when coming home, I had to keep the bike reved at 3k to keep it from stalling (on top of feeling like a douche for reving at a red light.) i also noticed that the throttle had to be constantly adjusted, i could not hold it in a stationary position to keep it at 3k. Bike seemed to keep surging.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated and look forward to the insight of my new forum community.
Thanks in advance for any help and replies.

Try to unplug lambda sensor? That makes it run rich, I have read that that is the way some ppl has done "tuning" after cat delete etc. mods as you have here. Maybe some injector cleaner to gas as bike has been sitting a lot. And fresh fuel.
Lambda sensor connector should be under right side side cover (below seat).

Once I had stabilizer and full tank over the winter, bike started and ran great and after half tank I thought I top it up with fresh fuel and soon after that I started to have strange issues, like missing one cylinder time to time. I was about to take it to local shop, thought I top the tank up before I take it there but bike started to ran like it should after that second top up. That's why I nowadays suspect old gas if bike has been sitting alot.

Try to unplug lambda sensor? That makes it run rich, I have read that that is the way some ppl has done "tuning" after cat delete etc. mods as you have here. Maybe some injector cleaner to gas as bike has been sitting a lot. And fresh fuel.
Lambda sensor connector should be under right side side cover (below seat).

Once I had stabilizer and full tank over the winter, bike started and ran great and after half tank I thought I top it up with fresh fuel and soon after that I started to have strange issues, like missing one cylinder time to time. I was about to take it to local shop, thought I top the tank up before I take it there but bike started to ran like it should after that second top up. That's why I nowadays suspect old gas if bike has been sitting alot.
Added the fresh gas and some seafoam injector cleaner as well. Will try unplugging the lambda sensor tonight. After a tank or two has been run through, should it be hooked up again? Or am I just wasting my time and need to send for the ecu guru flash lol? Thanks!

Well try to run one tank as empty as you can and then top it up, if it still has problems lambda unplugged or plugged in, then there most likely is some other problem. You have so low miles on bike, that I don't think it necessarily is some bad sensor like some position sensor etc.
And get that guru flash, it is worth every penny you won't be disappointed!

Hey all, used to be active in the the starvmaxforum but looks limke that is dead. See some familiar user names here like itgoes and this forum seems to be just as helpful.

So first, everything about my 2009 vmax:
-big air mod with k&n filter
-Vance and Hines exhaust with catalytic converter cut out.
-planning vmaxguru map for this setupand plugs to keep from popping
-7,500 miles on it. (Had some kids)
Would take it out at least once a year, to burn off gas and put fresh 93 in with fuel stabilizer.
I would like to start riding regularly again but am having a stalling issue that noticed before putting it away last winter. I had to actually bump start it at wawa (SNJ) and was able to get it home.
I keep a trickle charge all winter and it has always been garage kept.

i did my oil change/oil filter/ fresh battery about a week ago, drained gas and put in fresh. It idled fine and warmed up nicely. Main issue is when driving and coming to a stop, the bike would just stall out. Same thing if I am cruising at 65, and pull in the clutch, bike would just stall out. After about 10 minutes, when coming home, I had to keep the bike reved at 3k to keep it from stalling (on top of feeling like a douche for reving at a red light.) i also noticed that the throttle had to be constantly adjusted, i could not hold it in a stationary position to keep it at 3k. Bike seemed to keep surging.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated and look forward to the insight of my new forum community.
Thanks in advance for any help and replies.
Hi
I have 2019 max and stalling issue at 8400 miles and was showing code 12 on the display which is crank sensor error so change battery but no help and finally dealership diagnosed stator assembly with pick up coil so the low voltage was kicking all sensor errors do you have any codes showing?

Back