• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 2018 Vmax, 1670 miles!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2017 Vmax was red with silver/grey exhaust, side covers, and handlebars and some other silver/grey parts.
Beginning in 2018 Vmax were all black with flat black paint on fenders and bonnet.
Flat black is much cheaper to do than pretty shiny colors like 2017 and previous.
one little trivia, on the 2018 I just sold and the 2020 I still have, the exhaust pipe heat shields for the exhaust pipes in the two rear cylinders are still silver instead of black like the exhaust pipe heat shields for the front two cylinders.
why did they do that ? Somebody forgot to order them in black so they just went with it ?
was there a concern that the Rear exhaust shields experienced more heat than the front and they were worried about the durability of the black Finnish ?
I also have a 2009 and there are several little details where they spent more money building the bike than later years.
Fancy key that says “star” on it, slightly different and better looking front hub, just little stuff.
my guess is they did them like that for 2009 and 2010 then they changed a few things to make them cheaper to build.

I added to the thread but the short answer is: 2017 is the last year they made them pretty with shiny paint job, etc.
Beginning 2018 they were all cheap flat black everythin.
Just my opinion,, the all black ones aren’t as pretty
Oh ok I never knew that. Thanks.

2017 Vmax was red with silver/grey exhaust, side covers, and handlebars and some other silver/grey parts.
Beginning in 2018 Vmax were all black with flat black paint on fenders and bonnet.
Flat black is much cheaper to do than pretty shiny colors like 2017 and previous.
one little trivia, on the 2018 I just sold and the 2020 I still have, the exhaust pipe heat shields for the exhaust pipes in the two rear cylinders are still silver instead of black like the exhaust pipe heat shields for the front two cylinders.
why did they do that ? Somebody forgot to order them in black so they just went with it ?
was there a concern that the Rear exhaust shields experienced more heat than the front and they were worried about the durability of the black Finnish ?
I also have a 2009 and there are several little details where they spent more money building the bike than later years.
Fancy key that says “star” on it, slightly different and better looking front hub, just little stuff.
my guess is they did them like that for 2009 and 2010 then they changed a few things to make them cheaper to build.
I have a 09 as well, #262. Vance and Hines acquired the bike new to develop the CS-1 exhaust system and painted the bike transformer theme by criss woods. When you pull up the Vance and Hines exhaust it shows my bike in the pic. They did a couple of videos on utube with it as well showing off the new CS-1 exhaust.

I added to the thread but the short answer is: 2017 is the last year they made them pretty with shiny paint job, etc.
Beginning 2018 they were all cheap flat black everythin.
Just my opinion,, the all black ones aren’t as pretty
I have my second 2016 and to me 2015 thru 2017's look much richer than the 18 thru 20's. My first 2016 was totaled, shortly after started looking for another 16, took almost a year but I found one 3 digit's difference in the VIN than my first. I did look at a 2019 in between, didn't like the all blacked out look anyway but took a gander and it really did look cheap compared to my first 16 and thankfully I found another. Just my thoughts.

Back