AF Meter...I'm confused!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
I was looking into purchasing an AF meter ( portable ), I have been looking into several kit available...However I'm a little confused about it. They all look like they have weld in 02 sensors?? Can I just place them in my exhaust pipe and measure that way? I really dont wanna be welding anything to my headers....AND ..We have TWO headers...how does that work when you only have one sensor?? ( with the weld in type )

The whole thing confuses me a litttle...I'm just looking for something that I can shove in my tool box, take it out when I do some service on the bike...I don't want anything permanently mounted......

Any Suggestions?

I was looking into purchasing an AF meter ( portable ), I have been looking into several kit available...However I'm a little confused about it. They all look like they have weld in 02 sensors?? Can I just place them in my exhaust pipe and measure that way? I really dont wanna be welding anything to my headers....AND ..We have TWO headers...how does that work when you only have one sensor?? ( with the weld in type )

The whole thing confuses me a litttle...I'm just looking for something that I can shove in my tool box, take it out when I do some service on the bike...I don't want anything permanently mounted......

Any Suggestions?

most boosted cars only measure half the engine bank, you just have to trust that your setting up the carbs the same way on both sides.The reading is still accurate it's just not looking at all the motor. There are ones that just stick in the pipe that dyno tuners use, keep looking.

I have a permanently mounted Dynojet Wideband commander and welding a bung in the exhaust is no big deal, cost me about $15 bucks at a muffler shop.

Rusty

most boosted cars only measure half the engine bank, you just have to trust that your setting up the carbs the same way on both sides.The reading is still accurate it's just not looking at all the motor. There are ones that just stick in the pipe that dyno tuners use, keep looking.

I have a permanently mounted Dynojet Wideband commander and welding a bung in the exhaust is no big deal, cost me about $15 bucks at a muffler shop.

Rusty

You have the Wideband on your Vmax? I just picked one up for my YZF, and I will be sending my mid collector to Graves (it's titanium) to have a ti bung welded in.

How much trouble was the overall kit to install?

You have the Wideband on your Vmax? I just picked one up for my YZF, and I will be sending my mid collector to Graves (it's titanium) to have a ti bung welded in.

How much trouble was the overall kit to install?

It was one I originally installed on my Wifes 350Z that I put an ATI supercharger on. Had it laying around in the garage and hated to see it go to waste.

Installing it was a piece of cake. The brain is under the rear seat where the tool kit used to be.

The guage is mounted in a guage cup bolted to the right of my speedometer in a hole I drilled and tapped into the handle bar support thingie.

The data logging switch is mounted on the neck cowling.

I'm using the RPM function to drive a shift light.

The only functions I'm using are the A/F and the RPM input.

On your YZF you should have a throttle position sensor you can tap into for that input if you wanted. I don't use mine although I did figure out that the Max does have a 5 volt power source that would drive a throttle sensor if one could be found to fit. It's the TCI power supply going to the MAP sensor on our bikes.

It's pretty cool being able to datalog this stuff and play it back on a laptop but with the way I'm using mine I rarely even do that since the novelty wore off. The guage was my main goal anyway and it's a nice way to keep an eye on the Vmax's finnicky carbs.

The Wideband does a whole lot of stuff that they really don't advertise except for in the installation manual. You can program it for certain outputs based on various input conditions which would make it really handy for nitrous. On my wifes car I had it set up to drive a retard signal back to the ignition if throttle postion, rpm, and A/F met the parameters of what I considered dangerous lean burn/detonation territory.

Later,

Rusty

It was one I originally installed on my Wifes 350Z that I put an ATI supercharger on. Had it laying around in the garage and hated to see it go to waste.

Installing it was a piece of cake. The brain is under the rear seat where the tool kit used to be.

The guage is mounted in a guage cup bolted to the right of my speedometer in a hole I drilled and tapped into the handle bar support thingie.

The data logging switch is mounted on the neck cowling.

I'm using the RPM function to drive a shift light.

The only functions I'm using are the A/F and the RPM input.

On your YZF you should have a throttle position sensor you can tap into for that input if you wanted. I don't use mine although I did figure out that the Max does have a 5 volt power source that would drive a throttle sensor if one could be found to fit. It's the TCI power supply going to the MAP sensor on our bikes.

It's pretty cool being able to datalog this stuff and play it back on a laptop but with the way I'm using mine I rarely even do that since the novelty wore off. The guage was my main goal anyway and it's a nice way to keep an eye on the Vmax's finnicky carbs.

The Wideband does a whole lot of stuff that they really don't advertise except for in the installation manual. You can program it for certain outputs based on various input conditions which would make it really handy for nitrous. On my wifes car I had it set up to drive a retard signal back to the ignition if throttle postion, rpm, and A/F met the parameters of what I considered dangerous lean burn/detonation territory.

Later,

Rusty

Very nice info indeed, Rusty. Thanks for taking the time to post it!

The YZF has a TPS, so I'll be able to take advantage of that. Hopefully I'll get my exhaust to and from Graves quick enough to do this during November. After I go to Cornerpeed I will probably not use the YZF until after the new year.

I'll post up on how it goes just in generality.

Back