brain fried .. help ..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Righty ho ... took the bike to work this morning with the thought the cool moist air might make a difference wroooong it was a total sack ☹️ Spluttering and coughing , popping banging etc but it got there .. this afternoon i just got on it hit start .. no probs , got my lid etc on and rode home no problem ,, not one bang , pop or splutter just got it on its stand in its house and whipped the seat off , found the pick up coil connector and grabbed the multimeter . Fluctuated between 127.2 then sort of settled down at 126.5 ohms ..... now reading the manual its saying a ‘96 should be between 81 -121 ohms .. when i tested it last week it was alot lower than todays reading .. before i have to chuck masses of cash at the bloody thing is there something else i can do to verify that its knackered AND does my reading actually mean its knackered ?

Pretty-much, the pick-up coil is an "it works, or it doesn't work" issue. It can go to an 'open line' (O.L.) reading on your digital multimeter, meaning, it's not-then capable of sending a proper signal about the magnetic field in the rotor, making and breaking, which is how the CDI box knows when to-fire. Let it cool-down, and a pick-up coil wire which broke contact when the wire was physically-hot, temperature-wise, will once-again conduct past the wire break, when the wire is cold, temperature-wise (see below); but which loses contact when the wire is hot, temperature-wise.

The reading you have in the service manual also gives you a 'plus-or-minus' reading for the resistance of the pick-up coil at an ambient temperature (p. 7-3, 110 ohms, plus/minus 15% (94 to 127 ohms) so it's OK, today, now. If the bike stops after it warms-up, it cranks but won't start, I'd say, "it's the pick-up coil," especially if you whip-out your portable digital multimeter and you get an O.L. reading (infinite/open circuit, no reading of resistance). Let it cool-down for a half-hour, and it starts, well, you found it.

However, in your case, sometimes it runs well, other times it doesn't. That says to me, "my CDI box is ornery." Contact Sean Morley, get his kit of essential electrical components. Replace one thing at a time, give it a trial spin down the road, and start with replacement of the CDI box behind the steering head. Report-back. "Inquiring minds want to-know." Or, as I mentioned before, the Liberty Insurance motto, "you only-pay for what you need."

Thanks for that info ,Is sean on here ? Im in uk so wondering about how the pay what you use thing works

Back