Dancing with Gigi… 38.88 MPG

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F 18 Driver

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

To be quite honest I was considering selling the Vmax immediately.

But today I gained a new respect for my old girl… "Let's call her Gigi."

I rode from Westwood to Neptune's net in Malibu then up to the rock store and then back to Westwood. My trip was approximately 97.2 miles

From Westwood to Neptune's net mostly flat terrain (Pacific Coast Highway) with more than few big sweeping curves Gigi responded very well with little or no effort when inputting counter steering… She didn't really hold a tight line but much better than I expected on sweeping curves as long as you're using the entire Lane

Next, from Neptune's net to the rock store. There's a change in elevation from leaving the beach and going to the mountains.

The road (kanan dume road) is tighter and the curves are more challenging with obtuse and a few acute radius turns. Gigi did very well as long as you're using the entire surface available to you.

During my trip, and while on PCH. I had the opportunity to give Gigi a little slap on the butt… And felt the effect of the Vboost… "It was very reminiscent to me of the Porsche 930s… Hi revs before you felt the turbo kick in"

Fueled up prior to leaving then upon return want to the same gas station filled up and burned only 2.5 gallons for the entire trip… 38.88 mph

In conclusion, Gigi is beginning to win my heart and I'll have to keep her around for a while.

F-18 driver

Dug up this old thread because I just recently was able to run a full tank to check mileage….put 105 on it waiting for the fuel light to come on….light didn’t come on before I gassed up….took just under 3 gallons so right at 36 mpg….I’m happy with that.

I've never gotten 100 miles before the light. Gotten close a few times - 95 to 98 - but never 100.

I think I coulda got 120 out of it if I waited for the light…..I don’t run the piss out of it usually….couple blasts up to 100 in there.

I want to take a trip with mine but I ride with Harley guys usually….there anywhere from 110 to 160 depending on bike….I’m not gonna be the guy who has to stop every 90 miles.

I’ll run it all the way out this tanks and see.

I think I coulda got 120 out of it if I waited for the light…..I don’t run the piss out of it usually….couple blasts up to 100 in there.

I want to take a trip with mine but I ride with Harley guys usually….there anywhere from 110 to 160 depending on bike….I’m not gonna be the guy who has to stop every 90 miles.

I’ll run it all the way out this tanks and see.
who cares if you have to stop every 90 miles, you have the power to play a very fun game of catch up!

I've never gotten 100 miles before the light. Gotten close a few times - 95 to 98 - but never 100.
I get 110~120 miles pre-light constantly on highway trips...but that requires the Venture rear diff I switched over to years ago. I can't image the actual amount of miles I've got on that diff; came out of a '83 (?) Venture and then moved along up to the rear of my 3rd Gen 1 Vmax...guessing that pumpkin has exceeded 100k miles (160k)...

I get 110~120 miles pre-light constantly on highway trips...but that requires the Venture rear diff I switched over to years ago. I can't image the actual amount of miles I've got on that diff; came out of a '83 (?) Venture and then moved along up to the rear of my 3rd Gen 1 Vmax...guessing that pumpkin has exceeded 100k miles (160k)...
Then you're not riding a Vmax, so it doesn't count.

Well I’m guessing I should be able to match that with the Max gearing….easily 110. None of my riding on that first tank was highway riding…so I’ve got that going for me. 😀

a Vmax with a Venture differential...is no longer a Vmax?
Correct. It's effectively a Venture as that is the gearing it's running on the final drive which gives it a huge advantage in fuel economy at cruising speed.

It's like putting a supercharger on a car and comparing it to somebody else's factory car and trying to say its the same car for performance comparisons. It isn't.

Correct. It's effectively a Venture as that is the gearing it's running on the final drive which gives it a huge advantage in fuel economy at cruising speed.

It's like putting a supercharger on a car and comparing it to somebody else's factory car and trying to say its the same car for performance comparisons. It isn't.
Putting on a diff with same external housing and having ~11% taller gearing is a 'huge' change...like putting on a taller tire...like a supercharger

Putting on a diff with same external housing and having ~11% taller gearing is a 'huge' change...like putting on a taller tire...like a supercharger
IT.

IS.

NOT.

A.

FACTORY.

BIKE.

It has a lower final drive, which means it runs at a lower RPM than a factory bike, which AUTOMATICALLY improves your gas mileage.

And yes, it's the same thing as putting on a super charger as it increases the horsepower automatically over a factory engine, which means it's NOT THE SAME and CAN NOT BE COMPARED.

That you're this thick headed about it is simply amazing.

I'm hundred percent stock and I regularly get 116 before my light comes on (.9 gal left) while playing on back roads.
That's amazing. I've never seen anybody get mileage like that. A buddy I rode with had an '85 that could get 105 pretty regularly and got 110 once or twice, but that's the most I've ever personally seen anybody get.

As soon as I finish this next tank you’ll know of three who have done it.
Still waiting to get mine back from the radiator shop. Been cleaning out the inside of the frame and all and touching up some areas.

IT.

IS.

NOT.

A.

FACTORY.

BIKE.

It has a lower final drive, which means it runs at a lower RPM than a factory bike, which AUTOMATICALLY improves your gas mileage.

And yes, it's the same thing as putting on a super charger as it increases the horsepower automatically over a factory engine, which means it's NOT THE SAME and CAN NOT BE COMPARED.

That you're this thick headed about it is simply amazing.

So to anyone else here that runs 1) a wheel different diameter than stock 2) has a non-OEM windshield that might give better (or worse) airflow 3) has saddlebags that cause drag 4) have highway pegs as that can change the aerodynamics...

..."you're not riding a Vmax..."

...or we could just go back to allowing that everyone, with their various add-ons to these great bikes, contribute as long as they are transparent about their mods that may/may not have influended their riding range numbers.

Even a person's weight & height can change the numbers...should we start discriminating against that, as well?

Last edited:
Back