First vmax crash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namasfl

Reaction score
Hey guys,

carefull out there. got in to my first (and hopefully only) vmax wreck on wednesday in sunny south florida- the land of sun, women in string bikinis and old people in v8 cadillacs who can't see past their knuckles over the steeing wheel. Guy pulled out in front of me going 40 and it was either hit the back of his car or lay the bike down so I took the lesser of two evils. Not too bad for a bike wreck- broken finger, tiny fractured rib and a lot of skin missing on my right arm. Thank god for insurance. Anyways be careful out there especially if you live in a state where they automatically repeal your liscense when you turn 120.

Sorry to hear about the incident--but glad you came away from it as well as you did.

Yeah, it's brutal out there. The only thing that scares me more than one of those "Q-Tips" behind the wheel is a sixteen-year-old girl, driving her compact car while she simutaneously:

a) chews gum
b) talks on her cell (two conversations--one caller on
hold)
c) puts on mascarra
d) changes from a Sarah Mclaughlin to a Bri Easy CD
e) "conversates" with the four to six other teens in her car
f) smokes
g) finishes her Big Mac.

Assume every driver you see is out to kill you. Much of the time, you'll probably be correct.

Again, heal quickly and SUE THE BASTARD!

Could just be me, but I have always been able to stop a bike quicker with the rubber on the ground than the metal on the ground. Some reason the rubber has better stopping abilities than the metal.

I also have been able to swerve faster than I can stop if that is necessary.

The reason you lay it down is because when a crash is unavoidable, because of the momentum. Better the bike take the brunt of the impact than the rider.

No offence, but if you have "Time" to "Lay it down" then you have time to get on the binders, or swerve, It takes a lot less time to swerve than lay it down.

Now if youo layed it down to avoid or reduce, how do you know that the brakes could not have stopped you in that distance if you did not try?

I know with my bikes, I can stop in a VERY short distance. But if the tires are not on the ground it does not stop.

Example, I had a car stop in front of me, I swerved, But the rider behind me, "Layed it down" WHY??? I was fine, swerved around the car, then looked in my mirror and the guy behind me is sliding down the road, Yes he missed the car, but so did I, and now he CRASHED.

USE THE BRAKES

I took a safety training course and we practiced emergency braking for a few hours. It is actually hard NOT TO LOCK UP the wheels front or back. If you do your pulling the lever too hard all at once instead of a progressive squeeze. Same goes for the foot pedal. Beware of a front wheel lock up. That will bring you down in a hurry.
It's better to practice and slowly get better at it than having to do it and not be ready for it. So many times we just want to ride and we don't take the time to perfect our skills. Glad to hear that it wasn't too bad. I understand what you did, that is a natural reaction. I also agree with Outlaw. But sometime if your cut off, you have maybe a fraction of a second to react to it. If this is the case it doesn't matter cuz you just don't have enough space to stop. All you can do it attempt a swerve or slow down as much as you can before impact. Plus if there is no where to go - a swerve it not going to do you any good anyways. As it goes - the old fart probably had no idea you were even there. Sorry it happened, however that is the risk we all take riding a bike. Just be glad you were not doing double that speed.

Take care Rob.

Last edited:
Actually, There was an interesting article about this very situation recently (I believe it was motorcycle consumer news). Basically it hit on the same point that David is trying to make. First it isn't easy to simply "lay it down". Usually it is the result of too much braking and a simple loss of control. Second there isn't enough time in most situations that result in an accident to make the decision to lay it down in a controlled manner. If there is that much time you can simply get on the brakes hard or make a controlled avoidance manuver (Swerve).

I can tell you frmo the few accidents I have been in you simply don't have much time to plan what you are doing. You simply react by "instinct" which is infuenced by how much pre-planning and practice you have done. The more practice the more likely you will react appropriately and possibly avoid the accident.

Having said that I would agree with them. However, I do understand your pain and any accident is never fun or has good outcomes. Get yourself back together (and the bike if you want to) and get back on and ride. Continually practice your skills even when there is no situation needing it. By braking hard and swerving on occasion you will eb mentally preparing yourself for any future need. Its not if you will have an accident by when.

Sean Morley

hold on, let me explain the whole story first. I was going north on a heavily travelled highway with two lanes going north. A car was making a left hand turn from the center and cut me off. I went around him, at the same time the old guy pulled out from the right and cut me off. So basically they pinched me. I had nowhere to go in the middle, nowhere on the left or right, so I was going down no matter what unless I could go straight up.

namasfl said:
hold on, let me explain the whole story first. I was going north on a heavily travelled highway with two lanes going north. A car was making a left hand turn from the center and cut me off. I went around him, at the same time the old guy pulled out from the right and cut me off. So basically they pinched me. I had nowhere to go in the middle, nowhere on the left or right, so I was going down no matter what unless I could go straight up.

Not condeming you, just get out there and practice braking over and over (Since I teach I get to practice every week and on many different bikes as well) so I never even think about layin it down, first thing I do is find an excape route, if none there, then brake HARD but not GRABING!!! Practice, Practice, Practice

Outlaws Justice, I agree with all you have said. Been riding and racing motorcylces for 42 years including a stint of teaching safety courses. People do not "lay motorcycles down". They lose control and then go down. Inexperieced riders tend to put a death grip on the bars with the brakes squeezed to the max. At that point you are just along for the ride/skid/crash. Riders should all learn how to do panic stops under all types of conditions be it pavement, gravel, sandy streets or wet roads. Those mall parking lots are a great place to start on Sunday mornings. In addition, take your bike out onto a rough field and practise turns, stops and accelleration. You'll notice that you have far more control by simply relaxing your arms and hands and holding the bars very loosely.

YES, YES, YES. and it does not matter what bike you ride. It is about control, practice until things are second nature and practice some more.

On road and off! Another key is to relax! I travel thru fields with the vmax, Rough ride but it is no different than on my off road bikes, I watch for problems and ride. Relax and enjoy!

ALL RIDER EDUCATION helps. Even a basic class that you might think BAH! Well if it does nothing more than show you your bad habits it is helping. Learn the basics, correct bad habits then move forward!

Now that I not only teach the MSF but also the Lee parks Classes I have improved much myself in the last few years.

See this site at www.totalcontroltraining.net

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had my first last fall. I was doing thirty on a straight away, and an 83 year old man comming from oppisite direction decided to turn in front of me when i was 10 feet from his mini van. Well I took the worst of the deal, almost got past him, but his left headlight caught me on the side of my bike. My leg took the hit, the impact threw me 30' and broke my fema. Know I have a limp with a steel rod in my leg, but I have my bike all redone, and will be riding again this spring. When I was just about to get hit by him, we looked each other right in the eyes, and I don't think he ever saw me untill then. So be real carefull out there.

Back