Fuel pump stop working?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putin

Reaction score
Suddenly noticed there is no buzzing sound when turn on ignition key. Gen1, 2007 28000 miles. But i can start it and run, although with slightly open choke for cold start. When warm up - idling is normal in 1000 rpm. Does that mean fuel pump system is dead? Can i run without fuel pump?

I have just checked and the carb inlet is well above the top of the fuel tank - I do not see any way that the engine will run without the fuel pump working. Note that there is fuel in the carb bowls that will allow the engine to run for a sort while, a few minutes.

On turning the ignition, the fuel pump should only make a noise if it is topping up the carbs, unless there are leaking it should be quiet, at most one or two clicks.

Are you sure it is not the Vboost module?

Short answer is no, it won't run if the fuel pump is not working.
Longer answer, as the fuel tank is below the level of the carbs fuel need to be pumped into the float chambers.
Bottom line - if it runs OK don't worry.

Short answer is no, it won't run if the fuel pump is not working.
Longer answer, as the fuel tank is below the level of the carbs fuel need to be pumped into the float chambers.
Bottom line - if it runs OK don't worry.
But why this bzzzzz sound stoped? Do you have that initial sound of fuel pump works?

I have just checked and the carb inlet is well above the top of the fuel tank - I do not see any way that the engine will run without the fuel pump working. Note that there is fuel in the carb bowls that will allow the engine to run for a sort while, a few minutes.

On turning the ignition, the fuel pump should only make a noise if it is topping up the carbs, unless there are leaking it should be quiet, at most one or two clicks.

Are you sure it is not the Vboost module?
Don,t know much about vboost. Probably topping carburators as initial start. At least its running:)

Interesting. So if it failes selftest, means it stopped working?
Yes.
Remove the left hand scoop, two hex bolts, and the push on the vboost module, it is the largest one, thin a d more or less square. A common problem is cracked tracks on the pcb or in my case a fractured joint. Can be repaired.

Less likely it is the servo motor. Take apart the round 6 way connector and you can apply 12 v to two pins, search my posts abouy vboost to find out which pins.

Found the problem! Little vboost manual switch, from pevious owner, was in ON position. Some shit stole a flashlight from handlebar, he probably touch the switch. No wonder it perfomed differently when cold and idle and servo test did not work.

Attachments

• 20200502_184339.jpg
    20200502_184339.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 26
Yes.
Remove the left hand scoop, two hex bolts, and the push on the vboost module, it is the largest one, thin a d more or less square. A common problem is cracked tracks on the pcb or in my case a fractured joint. Can be repaired.

Less likely it is the servo motor. Take apart the round 6 way connector and you can apply 12 v to two pins, search my posts abouy vboost to find out which pins.
That was a switch:)

Hi
I extended my handle bars on my 1998 vmax. The fuel pump wouldn't come as the kill switch had a loose connection after installing my bars. Played for it for a bit and has been working for over 2 years now
Good luck

Back