help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davemax

Reaction score
I have a 06 max and when I try to start it I hear a big pop. I replaced the plugs (they were fouled but the problem was not fixed. Could carbs need resynced?

I've had this problem a few times when I have had the air box off and have played with the carb slides... I think I was putting a little "extra" fuel down the cylinders and it would make a big 'pop' or backfire sound at startup. I was pretty nervous that I was going to blow a gasket, but so far no problems. I would always check the sync... very easy to do, but since you checked the plugs and they were fouled, it seems like you may have the same problem as me... a little too much fuel. Were you messing with anything since the last time you rode or started it?

Sounds like backfiring due to gunked up carbs. Do you have stock exhaust?

Gunked carbs are pretty much the nature of the beast unless you ride the wheels off of it. Start off with the easiest thing,

Buy some Seafoam, and pour a shotglass into a full tank, after a couple tanks your problem should dissapear. If it dosnt then you might have to do the peashooter.

http://home.comcast.net/~onlyone12/carbs1.htm

Seafoam works wonders my bike isits more than its ridden and i pretty much always have some in the tank. Seafoam was a cure all to my problems with backfiring but sometimes youll get a spec of rust or something up in the carbs and the peashooter is neccessary.

Everything is stock. The only thing I replaced was the battery and plugs.

I have a 06 max and when I try to start it I hear a big pop. I replaced the plugs (they were fouled but the problem was not fixed. Could carbs need resynced?

Is the sound coming from exhaust or the carbs?

I had a popping sound coming from my carbs ever since it was new. This only happened when cold, and revving it just from idle or when I left from a stop, it would pop right from idle.

Try your fuel mixture screws. 2.5 to 3.5 turns out

The idiots at the dealer didnt know anything.

I had the carbs cleaned at a thousand miles, still did it.

I brought my bike to builder/tuner here in Minnesota. He had a lot of experience with tuing Vmaxes. He said it was a somewhat common issue. He said it was a lean or rich condition and would do it less if any when he was finished dyno tuning it. he rejetted and dynoed it and it did it less but didnt go away 100%

Back