How not to do it-carb rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I was at my friend's shop today, and he showed me some pics of work from another shop locally. Supposedly this work was done by a Honda 'mechanic,' but anyone who claims to be a mechanic, and who turns-out work like this, deserves to be fired.

I'm just going to post up the pics, see how-many things you can find wrong. To me, it appears the 'mechanic's' toolchest consisted of slip-joint pliers, a curved-claw hammer, SAE-sized sockets and wrenches, a straight-blade screwdriver (one), a hacksaw, and an inability to read, since the factory manual wasn't consulted. Last pic is a shot of the bike after being fixed.

The bike came to my friend's shop after another local shop 'rebuilt' the Magna 750 carbs. They did it as a 'free' repair after the bike's owner, who owns a tow truck, made a vehicle recovery for the shop, and they told him, "bring in that Magna 750 you have that isn't running-well, and we'll fix it for you." That was in-lieu of payment for the bike recovery, which was a multiple hour trip.

Just inspecting the broken jet, excess and needless gasket in a tube, unnecessary cutting on the carb body, the steel caterpiller passing for a CV spring, well, how anyone could allow such work to go out the door, I just don't know. "Free" in this case, certainly wasn't worth what the bike owner paid for it. The bike is now running, which it wasn't when it was brought to my friend's shop.

Magna 750 carb damage.01.jpeg Magna 750 carb damage.02.jpeg Magna 750 carb damage.03.jpeg Magna 750 carb damage.04.jpeg Magna 750 carb damage.05.jpeg

Attachments

• Magna carb damage.06.jpeg
    Magna carb damage.06.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 8
Was it "bring your kids to work" day at the first shop? Good lord...

Back