Installed Forward Controls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have an issue here - see that link near the m/c? The threaded rod is bent, and potentially liable to bend further and snap, right when you need it...
I'm more worried about the front pegs scraping since they're solid mount . Thanks for looking out appreciate it. It's winter time this is what I'm worried about nowIMG_20201206_223708466.jpg

I have to say I installed forward controls today. The difference is amazing. Having a bad hip and long legs, and big feet was keeping me from riding. Shout out to Craig West at RefinedCycle. I bought the FC9 model which wasn't offered in powdercoat black. I shot them an email asking about the black ones. After deciding I wanted them anyway, I pulled the trigger. A day later Craig emailed me and said they would do set in black for me. Outstanding customer service. Simple install and got some Vboost today!
Thank you for posting this and this is the setup I want to go with on my 2001 V Max I just bought. My left hip does not like the stock configuration of the controls and a change to this set up, this winter is needed. Thank you for pictures as well. I'm going with RefinedCycle on your recommendation and will be giving them a call.

I fitted Refined Cycle on my ‘96 Vmax. Good product, fitted the bike perfectly and makes the ride easier and more pleasurable. Happy days

I bought and fitted some Refined Cycle forwards and they are easy and straightforward to fit. I broke 6 vertebrae in the middle of my back and I couldn't ride my Gen 1 without forwards. At 70 years old I want to keep riding until I shed this mortal coil. I changed the bars for higher ones and now everything is set right for comfort and safety. Ride on brothers and sisters!!!
First off, I like your outlook on life and couldn't agree more. At 55 and haven't owned a motorcycle in 25 years, it was time for me to get back in the hobby. I just bought my first V Max last week (a 2001) and its something I've wanted since 1985 when seeing the first one on the showroom floor of my local Yamaha dealer. My left hip was replaced back in 2007 and is uncomfortable when riding my V Max, so going with forward controls is a must do for me. I hope to get my bike sorted out to my comfort level and ride it for many years.

I have to say I installed forward controls today. The difference is amazing. Having a bad hip and long legs, and big feet was keeping me from riding. Shout out to Craig West at RefinedCycle. I bought the FC9 model which wasn't offered in powdercoat black. I shot them an email asking about the black ones. After deciding I wanted them anyway, I pulled the trigger. A day later Craig emailed me and said they would do set in black for me. Outstanding customer service. Simple install and got some Vboost today!
I bought the FC9 and the shift rod is bent after only 3 rides.. Anyone know of a better linkage rod that could fit?

Did refined say anything? That would be the first one I would have heard of that was bent?

Did refined say anything? That would be the first one I would have heard of that was bent.

I asked them if there was a stiffer shift rod available possibly made of stronger or thicker metal. (as I've seen boxed and hex on others) Unfortunately my question was not answered.. and I was basically told it isn't installed correctly or I must be riding it wrong. I don't know.. Maybe after 40 years of riding and working on bikes and other vehicles, it's possible I still don't know what I'm doing.

I am sure a stiffer rod can be made but I also wonder if something wasn't quite adjusted correctly or if there is something else going on causing the need for more pressure to shift. Yours is the first one that I am aware of that has been "bent" but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Just raises the question is all.

I am sure a stiffer rod can be made but I also wonder if something wasn't quite adjusted correctly or if there is something else going on causing the need for more pressure to shift. Yours is the first one that I am aware of that has been "bent" but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Just raises the question is all.
I don't doubt that I bent it from stepping too hard on it.. after riding a while, it seems to be quite stubborn getting into neutral.. I have noticed it taking more effort to shift or downshift .. since the installation. I even cut an aluminum sleeve (from a beer can) for the bushing on the brake side.. As there was too much side to side slop in the pedal. The shifter side has slop too but not as much. I'm thinking about sleeving that as well.. Maybe it's binding some- causing extra effort to shift? It was lubed with Never-Seize when I put it all together. The rod has a little bow to it.. Which I can straighten. Id like to strengthen it somehow or replace it with something else. I didn't know about exact rep when I started looking for forward controls but after looking at the ones they sell, I kind of like how chunky they are and I doubt there's much slop in them.. but that's $500 plus all that shipping and I've already spent $500 on the ones I have. One step at a time.. I suppose.

Latest posts

Back