1st Gen V-Max My bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking 89. Looks like it has one of my seats on it. Might even have one of our jet kits on it (look to see if it has a large flat filter when you take the faux lid off). It just needs our busa brake upgrade!

Yes it has a seat that was cut down has stage 7 sean morley jet kit and the flat filter seems to want to sputter a bit I'm not giving it much gas when it does start giving it little more throttle and goes away

Nice looking 89. Looks like it has one of my seats on it. Might even have one of our jet kits on it (look to see if it has a large flat filter when you take the faux lid off). It just needs our busa brake upgrade!
Can you tell me bout the busa upgrade is it a kit with everything you need to install

Welcome. My info below about radial tires and much-more info for a new member can be found in this thread:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/just-bought-my-first-vmax-1988.53637/

You will find it very helpful.

My personal input, the #1 best thing you can do to improve your bike is to get a wider rear wheel in either 17" or 18" (more rubber choices for the 17") but because of the shorter height of a low-profile tire and the different 17" rim, the bike will not have as-much top-end. Not many of us spend our time at 140+ mph. You can use the OEM Vmax front wheel, buy its width is not optimal for a front radial tire, The front wheel should be a 3-1/2" width to use the same width tire as the stock 18" wheel uses. If you decide to switch to radials, it will probably cost you about $2K+. Read the posts about radial tires, and wheels used for them, front & rear.

A strong word of caution: do NOT MIX brands or construction methods of radial tires! The angle of the tread plies to the rim can be different, even among radial tires from the same manufacturer. Be sure that whatever you choose, they are compatible. You can make your bike into an evil-handling bitch by not paying attention to this!

Yes, there are a few bikes where the company engineers mix types of tires, including radial and bias-ply tires. Don't try it here.

thanks for having me as a member vmax has always intrigued me as of a couple weeks ago I acquired a89 vmax hope to gain a lot insight on these beauties with the help of fine folks as yourselves thanks View attachment 93066
That's pretty clean, how many miles?? Hats off to whomever did the cleaning and upkeep!!

Welcome. My info below about radial tires and much-more info for a new member can be found in this thread:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/just-bought-my-first-vmax-1988.53637/

You will find it very helpful.

My personal input, the #1 best thing you can do to improve your bike is to get a wider rear wheel in either 17" or 18" (more rubber choices for the 17") but because of the shorter height of a low-profile tire and the different 17" rim, the bike will not have as-much top-end. Not many of us spend our time at 140+ mph. You can use the OEM Vmax front wheel, buy its width is not optimal for a front radial tire, The front wheel should be a 3-1/2" width to use the same width tire as the stock 18" wheel uses. If you decide to switch to radials, it will probably cost you about $2K+. Read the posts about radial tires, and wheels used for them, front & rear.

A strong word of caution: do NOT MIX brands or construction methods of radial tires! The angle of the tread plies to the rim can be different, even among radial tires from the same manufacturer. Be sure that whatever you choose, they are compatible. You can make your bike into an evil-handling bitch by not paying attention to this!

Yes, there are a few bikes where the company engineers mix types of tires, including radial and bias-ply tires. Don't try it here.
Hi. I always thought these need another gear. Are you saying with the bigger wheel the rpm will be higher at say 100 mph? I would think a bigger wheel would decrease RPM at a100. Or are you saying there isn't enough horsepower to push it to 140?
I'm a little confused about what a bigger wheel will do. Is there that much difference between a 60,70, or 80 tall tire?

Hi. I always thought these need another gear. Are you saying with the bigger wheel the rpm will be higher at say 100 mph? I would think a bigger wheel would decrease RPM at a100. Or are you saying there isn't enough horsepower to push it to 140?
I'm a little confused about what a bigger wheel will do. Is there that much difference between a 60,70, or 80 tall tire?
Even though the rim is larger the overall size is smaller due to the much smaller sidewalls of a radial tire. So yes higher rpm and …..better acceleration.
My opinion, not many of us play around at 140 very long but we do whack it as often as we can so for me acceleration trumps top speed.

Can you tell me bout the busa upgrade is it a kit with everything you need to install
Usually best to email me at [email protected]

You may need to adjust the a/f mix screws to get the off idle hesitation. if it's while cruising then adjust the needles.

An example of the brake kit:
85-92 298mm Busa Adapters Closeup.jpg

Back