new to me 05 first ride, looking for some feedback

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefP

Reaction score
Just took my bike out for it's first ride and need some feedback. When I got on it, the oil light came on for a second. I noticed neutral was tough to find and there's much more engine noise when you let the clutch out in neutral. The oil window is dead in the center. Previous owner had it changed by a shop 500 miles ago (don't know whats in it).

This is simply the most uncomfortable seat in the history of motorcyles! At least for an old fat guy like me. I've already got a maxgasser on the way thank God! :clapping:

Being the light came on, that just means your riding it right :)
Actually not much to worry about, the sensor is in the front of the oil pan, while the pickup is in the back. So, your not starving the motor for oil (however be careful on how far you run out the wheelies, that would cause some damage).
Some are a pain to find neutral others aren't Myself and a few others had better luck with different types of oil, (Rotella T, and others) but you can browse the oil thread.

Enjoy the bike and have a ball :punk:

Others might correct some of this, but I believe the oil light blinking on is normal, especially if it is a little low to begin with (sounds like it is). The sensor is near the front and your acceleration is sloshing the oil away from it.

I also think that neutral being tough to find is somewhat normal. It is sometimes easier getting into it from 2nd and half-shifting down; otherwise move forward a tiny bit and try again.

No opinion about increased engine noise at neutral. Is it just idling high or is it a different sort of noise altogether?

If the oil light came on then you are riding it the right way :punk: hard and fast.
That's normal. The neutral problem might be just the oil the previous owner used. A lot of people on here like Rotella oil it make finding neutral much easier.
Not sure about the noise when in neutral. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you.
Welcome to the forum. You are gonna love it hear. Your wallet may not like it because you find so many good ideas here. My wife hates this site :ummm:

Welcome!! Ride it like---
I dunno??... Just give her hell and keep smiling like a lunatic who just got their meds.

-KarmaKatt-
VMOA 5652

If the oil light came on then you are riding it the right way :punk: hard and fast.
That's normal. The neutral problem might be just the oil the previous owner used. A lot of people on here like Rotella oil it make finding neutral much easier.
Not sure about the noise when in neutral. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you.
Welcome to the forum. You are gonna love it hear. Your wallet may not like it because you find so many good ideas here. My wife hates this site :ummm:

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

+1 change oil to help with oil. i use the smoothness, or lack of smoothness, of finding neutral and gear shifting as an indication of when to change oil. well kind of, actually i use it as a reminder and i validate the odometer. i stopped keeping a conscious effort of tracking elapsed miles a few changes ago because there seems to be a credible relationship between the mechanical dexterity and the number of miles since the change.

put it on its centerstand, fill it up with to the top tick mark on the oil spyglass and forget about the oil light when you give it a good romp. like what has been said, the sensor is in the front of the sump--you do the physics.

i bet you can't wait for your maxgasser.

... My wife hates this site
:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Every time I change my oil neutral is a little easier to find.

Changed mine today with Shell Rotella T (it was running that already as well) and there is a noticeable change with the fresh oil. Although neutral seemed to be a bit easier to find before it was changed.

One thing I have found (at least for my bike) to get to neutral when it only wants to go 1-2 is to put it in 1 and move about a half turn on the wheels and it will go into neutral much easier. I do not know if there is a reason for this or if it is simply my Vmax playing mind games with me.

Couldn't hurt to go ahead and swap the oil in case that is causing the problem.

Sound advice all. Used rotella with my zl1000 with great results. Now I wonder if there's an oil thread....:biglaugh:

[QUOTE

i bet you can't wait for your maxgasser.

[/QUOTE]

You have no idea. I'm even dreading riding it to the DMV tomorrow for plates

Changed mine today with Shell Rotella T
i'm running the stuff, too, now and am not finding any difference than the more expensive stuff
One thing I have found (at least for my bike) to get to neutral when it only wants to go 1-2 is to put it in 1 and move about a half turn on the wheels and it will go into neutral much easier. I do not know if there is a reason for this or if it is simply my Vmax playing mind games with me.

finding neutral isn't limited to a handful of owners. most run into the issue at the stop light and simply remedy the situation by inching the bike forward. same thing when parked--just roll the bike a bit and neutral slides into place.

speaking of parking and rolling it back...i follow the advice of others who woke up and found there bikes sleeping on their sides the next morning. when i park the bike, i roll it forward to "remove the slack" after placing it in gear so that it doesn't have any room to roll off of the kickstand

Last edited:
Had to laugh to my self reading your post on your first ride. I kept thinking yep mine and everbody else's does it also. Welcome to the Vmax experiance . Have fun !!!

Back