Not running

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty69

Reaction score
Hi all, my max won't start, fuel pump is working and pumping fuel out when the pipe if off , fuel bowls are full, if I tip a little petrol in the top of carbs it will fire and run briefly.

If it only runs when pouring fuel directly in carb, sounds like ignition is ok but test. If good, time to go through the carbs.

Does fuel drain when you open the screw under the carbs?
The engine runs on the pilot jet when starting and these tiny jets are easily blocked.
Modern fuel has a tendency to gum up these jets when they have been sitting a while.
Check the YT vids on tjhis topic and let us know how you go!

I would say clean the carbs. probably jets are plugged.

Yep fuel drains when I open float bowl drain screw, I have got the carbs off and check the jets
Does fuel drain when you open the screw under the carbs?
The engine runs on the pilot jet when starting and these tiny jets are easily blocked.
Modern fuel has a tendency to gum up these jets when they have been sitting a while.
Check the YT vids on tjhis topic and let us know how you go!

Yep fuel drains when I open float bowl drain screw, I have got the carbs off and check the jets
Thanks for all that info, after blowing All the jets out I finally got it started, I did have quite alot of blue smoke out of pipes so Iam wondering if the valve stem seals need doing and this it's what's causing my start issue if I got oil getting into pots 🙁

after blowing All the jets out I finally got it started
If you didn't remove the jets from the jet block and visually inspect their bores while removed, you need to do that. 'Blowing all the jets out' is not sufficient to restore their proper function. Even after ultrasonic cleaning while disassembled you may need to poke out the pilots especially.

If you didn't remove the jets from the jet block and visually inspect their bores while removed, you need to do that. 'Blowing all the jets out' is not sufficient to restore their proper function. Even after ultrasonic cleaning while disassembled you may need to poke out the pilots especially.
Yep I removed all jets a checked to see they were clear

Got it started after a lot of turning motor over but it just pops back through carbs and dies eventually

OK, is this a bike which you had running before, you've been riding it and now, it won't start? Or is it a new to you bike, and you're trying to get it running?

Latest posts

Back