only one cylinder firing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnlee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 94 is only running off the front left cylinder. I have cops and it just started today as I was syncing the carbs. I did remove the carbs to reattach one of the throttle cables and when I fired it up that is when I found the problem. Any help is appreciated

Could be a not-attached electrical plug.

Start w/basics:
compression
spark
fuel

Place a spark plug into your COPs and be sure to ground it out & then turn the engine over. Does it spark the plug? No spark, check your sparkplug ground, try again. Repeat for all 4 cyl's.

If you have a compression tester, that's best to get a reading, but for a seat of the pants measure, if you could reach the sparkplug hole surface, you could use your thumb over the hole, and turn the engine over. It will turn over easier if you remove all the plugs, and do the test one at a time of course. Because the sparkplug is recessed you need something like a compression tester hose, to attach the gauge to and now you will get a discrete reading. Don't forget to hold the throttle open fully when you're doing the diagnostic for compression. Any significant variance in compression readings? If so, you need to find-out why. Repeat for all 4 cyl's.

Fuel:
open the bowl drain and see what comes-out. If you leave the drain screw open and you turn on the ignition, the fuel pump should fill the drained float bowl, and you will get a pee-stream out of the drain. Repeat for every cyl.

That should help to determine what's happening.

I suspect that a spontaneous loss of compression on three cylinders is unlikely.
So, as Mr Medic suggests check you have sparks at each cylinder.
Check that you have fuel in the tank and see if switching to reserve helps.
If that doesn't highlight the problem then go back over the last thing(s) you did.

Back