The White Mist

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
So, I have been told about "The White Mist" twice now by people I have been vigorously out-accelerating. It has been described at a white cloud/mist emanating from what appears to be the balance tubes on my stock exhaust. As far as I know, it only happens when V-Boost is open.
The first time someone told me about it I was running like 30-40% choke because of dirty idle circuits, so I figured it was just excess fuel in the exhaust. However, someone just told me about it again and the circuits are clean and choke back to normal.

What is going on here?

I just had a terrible thought... is it possible my head gasket is blown and I'm getting antifreeze into my cylinder? Crap

So, I have been told about "The White Mist" twice now by people I have been vigorously out-accelerating. It has been described at a white cloud/mist emanating from what appears to be the balance tubes on my stock exhaust. As far as I know, it only happens when V-Boost is open.
The first time someone told me about it I was running like 30-40% choke because of dirty idle circuits, so I figured it was just excess fuel in the exhaust. However, someone just told me about it again and the circuits are clean and choke back to normal.

What is going on here?

I just had a terrible thought... is it possible my head gasket is blown and I'm getting antifreeze into my cylinder? Crap

White Smoke= Water / Anti Freeze
Blue Smoke= Oil
Brown Smoke= Fuel
Green Smoke= To many burritos

Could also be you hazing the tire while its spinning:confused2:

I would monitor your coolant level. check out your oil for milk look, check your spark plugs for any sign of white speckles. if ya find one thats the cyln with the leaking head gasket.

Could also be you hazing the tire while its spinning:confused2:

I like that thought :rofl_200:
Lankee is spot on, monitor the situation, see how ya go

A guy I know recently blew a head gasket on a Honda CX500
Only symptoms were running hot, and when he pulled his exhaust off, he found coolant...
Oil was fine, so there ya go
Wheelspin when boosting: only on a Vmax!

Hmmm... my wifes been commenting on the green smoke but i thought that was normal....?

Thanks for the ideas, I just changed my oil and didn't notice any discoloration. I took a closer look at the cylinders and it does appear that there is a little bit of oil weeping from the head and possible the valve covers. Seem no matter where I park the bike or for how short of time I get 3-4 drops of oil on the ground.

I'll check the coolant level too, i was talking with one of my friends and he said in following me or just being around the bike he has never gotten that essence of burning antifreeze... burning burritos aside.

Hmmm... my wifes been commenting on the green smoke but i thought that was normal....?

Thanks for the ideas, I just changed my oil and didn't notice any discoloration. I took a closer look at the cylinders and it does appear that there is a little bit of oil weeping from the head and possible the valve covers. Seem no matter where I park the bike or for how short of time I get 3-4 drops of oil on the ground.

I'll check the coolant level too, i was talking with one of my friends and he said in following me or just being around the bike he has never gotten that essence of burning antifreeze... burning burritos aside.

Good luck Dave, let us what ya find......
When ya have sometime, check your plugs for any sign of white specks after a long hard ride. Let the engine cool completly before removing the plugs them aluminum heads dont like to messed with when they are hot.

Thanks Yankee, I will check that this evening. My last ride was a 4 1/2 hour two up ride through the twisties and mountains so that should have burned them in well.
Yeah, my hands don't like to mess with Alum heads when they are hot either.
I guess i figured that I would notice the burning antifreeze when i first start the bike in the morning or after stopping after a hard ride... but who knows, sounds like its a process of elimination!

Normally on these engines when the head gasket fails it doesn't pull coolant into the combustion chamber. It normally leaks combusion gasses into the cooling system which pressurizes it and forces coolant out of it. The first thing that will happen is the overflow bottle will fill up. Then it will overflow out the hose routed down the frame and just in front of the rear tire (nice place for it huh!).

Most time it will happen at 1/2 -3/4 throttle inputs.

Sean Morley

So, if I understand you correctly, if my head gasket has failed it will force coolant down onto my exhaust balance tubes when I get on it?
So, to check this, I could rig some kind of container onto the drain tube and run it up to 1/2 -3/4 throttle, then check to see if there was any drainage?
That and just keep checking my coolant levels...

Are you sure you don't have an oil leak from the oils seals on the gear selector :ummm:

That will cause a drop or two of oil to hit the rear exhaust headers and produce white 'mist' and would explain the drops of oil you get on the ground.

If your oil level is a bit on the full side, the crank case pressure could be squeezing the oil by the seal when you nail the throttle.

Easiest thing to look at is the coolant recovery tank. Is it overfilled? You can drain it easily enough and see if it refills itself.

Sean

Sean-
Thanks, I'll check that when I get home then drain it down and see if it refills.

Gleno,
On my bike I will never rule out anything leaking oil! When I come to a stoplight after riding a while I will often see some oil smoke drifting away from the exhaust header under the engine or the balance tubes. But, I guess I kinda ruled out the white mist being oil related as I couldn't imagine it being possible to see the oil smoke coming off the bike when doing 80mph and climbing. This could just be flawed logic however.

So, I checked the water reservoir and to my dismay and consternation, it was empty... not sure what that means?

So, I topped off the radiator and filled up the reservoir then then went for a good ride with the rpm between 6-8000 most of the time and the engine hot. I got back expecting the drain tube to be wet and the reservoir a little lower but... nto the case.... so not sure any more, any ideas?

Ride until it blows up!
I hear this all the time from people I ride with "Your bike stinks" Your bike smokes" at high RPMS. I gave up on trying to figure it out...

:fart:

Lankee, I'm getting closer just following your advice.... (ride it till it blows)

But, would like some input on this idea:
I was surfing the Bay and found this curious looking chopper someone had built out of an XS650 or some such motor. He said that everything worked great except that there was some occasional white smoke caused by some blowby through one of the valve guides....

Any thoughts on this being a culprit?

Also, please correct my theory, but I would figure that you shouldn't have any leaking around the valve guide if you valves are seating....

Thoughts...?

Ride until it blows up!
I hear this all the time from people I ride with "Your bike stinks" Your bike smokes" at high RPMS. I gave up on trying to figure it out...

:fart:

I think I've seen the white mist/smoke/whatever while riding behind my Max also. And all of my friends have said that all of my 80's Yamaha bikes stink/smell rich, etc... even if the plug color looks decent.

Back