Vmax starter clutch replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Lee

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a new to me 04 Vmax. It will not start. Everything I’ve read end online tells me it’s the starter clutch.
I’ve decided after watching several videos to do the job myself.
ANy tips would be appreciated.

Agree with Mr Corrugated that you need a sturdy puller that does not flex - see attachment.

If you haven't used a puller before then the 'trick' is to tighten it then hit the centre nut with a decent size hammer. There is no need to keep tightening until the tendons tear out of your arm! Just keep tightening and keep hitting.

I've also attached the procedure.

Attachments

• Modified flywheel puller.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Starter clutch replacement.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
How hard do you have to hit the center bolt before it pops off? I've been hitting it with a 3 to 4 pound hand sledgehammer and nothing yet?

How hard do you have to hit the center bolt before it pops off? I've been hitting it with a 3 to 4 pound hand sledgehammer and nothing yet?
I believe my hub popped off before even having to use a hammer at all. From what I've seen, 1 good solid hit with a decent sized hammer should do the trick..make sure you have tightened the bolts on the puller enough as well...alternate back and forth from hammer to tightening....

That depends on how 'springy' your puller is and how tight the centre bolt is.. The stiffer the puller and bolts are the less effort is required. If you have a cheap or lightly built puller then this becomes a 'kin big spring and you possibly won't get it off no matter how hard you hit it.

Back