Which Gen should I get?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which makes me curious. What years had the 2nd jump issue? I had an 89' and now have an 85'. Neither had/have that issue.
Any year Gen. 1 can develop rounded gear engagement dogs and mating holes. It can begin with careless gear-shifting, not being sure to properly toe-in the next gear on the way-up, and not downshifting with care. You need to match the gas to the expected load. For instance, if your downshift puts you at redline, that's not the best technique, slow-down more before downshifting.

'Speed-shifting' will probably accelerate your wear on the engagement dogs, as you're more-likely to miss a gear. That's not rolling-off the throttle, and hitting the next gear as you 'fan' the clutch momentarily, to allow the gearchange. It takes skill and practice, and every missed-shift is just resulting in dogs becoming worn as well as their receiving slots.

'Granny-shifting,' where you roll-off the throttle, and shift up, and then roll-on the throttle is less-likely to cause a missed shift, even when done rapidly. The former only momentarily relieves the gear-loading, as you 'fan' the clutch, the latter relieves the gear-loading for longer, and while not as quick, it's easier on the tranny.

An undercut gearset helps to pull-together the dogs and the adjoining gear's engagement slots, reducing the chances of rounding-off the dogs' edges.

I really appreciate all of the input. Everyone's insight was helpful, everyone's. I think, I am going to go for the Gen II, provided I can strike a deal with this seller. It is a beautiful bike, surely benefits from newer technology. But let's face it, this bike has had a beautiful design since its inception. Given the right opportunity, those that mentioned "buy both" are probably right on the mark, and I may do just that. Thank you again. You will all be hearing from me as I work on this bike in the future. And still, if there are any known Gen II's out there for sale, I'd love to hear of them.

Pete
Lafayette, LA

There is a 2005 anniversary model just came up
I have a 2006 with absolutely no issues
Bought it on this site with 9400 miles from the 2nd owner
If I were you I would by a 2005 through 2007
With 15,000 miles or less
I paid 6000.00
You just missed a mint 2007 on this site that was here in Las Vegas
In my opinion the gen 2 does not look anything like the gen 1
To me the gen 1 is a work of art but remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol
The 2006 and 2007 have the nicest color scheme and beautiful design on the tank
Look in the bikes for sale section on this site and look at the 2006 I bought and the 2007 that just sold
They were both garage queens and meticulously maintained with zero issues
I absolutely love my bike and it’s without a doubt fast enough
I love the handling too by the way
I own an 87 Porsche 930 turbo and you can feel the road, you have to drive the car it doesn’t drive you
I paid 38,000.00 for the car 13 years ago it had 40,000 original miles
I went to drive a new one before I bought it and hated it
It completely drove you and I couldn’t feel anything it was not responsive and the price was around 100,000.00
In comparison my 87 was much more fun to drive and less than half the price
By a 2005 to 2007 garage queen and you will be over joyed
Like I said I have no issues at all
The gears are perfect no matter how much I get on the throttle
702-677-0438 Dan
I also have the best Motorcyle transport companies
You should call me I will help you😊

My pick would be both based on the fact that I want a gen 2 pretty badly and will never get rid of my gen 1. On the other hand, a wise man would tell you to ride them all and let the bike pick you.

There is a 2005 anniversary model just came up
I have a 2006 with absolutely no issues
Bought it on this site with 9400 miles from the 2nd owner
If I were you I would by a 2005 through 2007
With 15,000 miles or less
I paid 6000.00
You just missed a mint 2007 on this site that was here in Las Vegas
In my opinion the gen 2 does not look anything like the gen 1
To me the gen 1 is a work of art but remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol
The 2006 and 2007 have the nicest color scheme and beautiful design on the tank
Look in the bikes for sale section on this site and look at the 2006 I bought and the 2007 that just sold
They were both garage queens and meticulously maintained with zero issues
I absolutely love my bike and it’s without a doubt fast enough
I love the handling too by the way
I own an 87 Porsche 930 turbo and you can feel the road, you have to drive the car it doesn’t drive you
I paid 38,000.00 for the car 13 years ago it had 40,000 original miles
I went to drive a new one before I bought it and hated it
It completely drove you and I couldn’t feel anything it was not responsive and the price was around 100,000.00
In comparison my 87 was much more fun to drive and less than half the price
By a 2005 to 2007 garage queen and you will be over joyed
Like I said I have no issues at all
The gears are perfect no matter how much I get on the throttle
702-677-0438 Dan
I also have the best Motorcyle transport companies
You should call me I will help you😊
The 2005's are definitely beautiful bikes. I love the red. Are you a dealer? Or just up to date on what's out there? There are a couple of 2005's that I see on Facebook at the moment. I've never bought anything off of FB, but that doesn't mean they aren't legit. One has 17,500 miles, and the guy is asking $7,000. It looks pretty original. Is that in the ballpark?

My pick would be both based on the fact that I want a gen 2 pretty badly and will never get rid of my gen 1. On the other hand, a wise man would tell you to ride them all and let the bike pick you.
You can call me now if you want some good advise
I’m 62 and have owned over 100 motorcycles
I have been riding since the age of 5
Raced motocross and raced my Honda 929 on the track
I have had bikes made from the 40s on up
Bought many brand new and used
I can help you make sense of all this 😊

The 2005's are definitely beautiful bikes. I love the red. Are you a dealer? Or just up to date on what's out there? There are a couple of 2005's that I see on Facebook at the moment. I've never bought anything off of FB, but that doesn't mean they aren't legit. One has 17,500 miles, and the guy is asking $7,000. It looks pretty original. Is that in the ballpark?
That particular bike is about 9 hours away from me. Not impossible for me to go pick up. Shipping seems like it could add to the cost pretty quickly.

Just re read your email, and see you mentioned a 2005 as well. Is it all the way in Vegas? I would love to hear about any that you know of, that you think are without issues. Obviously, lower the miles the better, and I should think, the later the year the better. I really go back and forth between the Gen I and Gen II. I think they are both gorgeous. Though I think the muffler on the Gen II is a bit of a monstrosity. Obviously, I love the functional air intake. Don't know why, just do. I get that it probably adds little to the power of the bike. The other issue is the size of the Gen II, it just looks huge to me. And my body has been through the wringer. The lower Gen I just looks like it might fit me better.

I could go on and on. I have been a great appreciation for old equipment and vehicles, but I also love the latest and greatest technology. You can begin to see why I'm struggling. I can come up with a list of "pros" for either of these machines.

I appreciate any info you can help me with. I've saved your number. I'll try and call tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Pete

That particular bike is about 9 hours away from me. Not impossible for me to go pick up. Shipping seems like it could add to the cost pretty quickly.
9 hours is nothing to drive. I spent 32 hours picking up a Silver Arrow Edition Riviera. I spent 24 hours picking up my Gen 1. If the deal is worth it to you...take the drive.

Just re read your email, and see you mentioned a 2005 as well. Is it all the way in Vegas? I would love to hear about any that you know of, that you think are without issues. Obviously, lower the miles the better, and I should think, the later the year the better. I really go back and forth between the Gen I and Gen II. I think they are both gorgeous. Though I think the muffler on the Gen II is a bit of a monstrosity. Obviously, I love the functional air intake. Don't know why, just do. I get that it probably adds little to the power of the bike. The other issue is the size of the Gen II, it just looks huge to me. And my body has been through the wringer. The lower Gen I just looks like it might fit me better.

I could go on and on. I have been a great appreciation for old equipment and vehicles, but I also love the latest and greatest technology. You can begin to see why I'm struggling. I can come up with a list of "pros" for either of these machines.

I appreciate any info you can help me with. I've saved your number. I'll try and call tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Pete
Hi Pete !!! The 2005 is on this forum it just came up I don’t remember where it is

I'm trying to put things together. There are two '85's in that same direction. So I hope to score one of the two. Hope to connect with both tomorrow and make a deal. Then, everyone pray for me, when I tell my wife what I've done!!!

I'm trying to put things together. There are two '85's in that same direction. So I hope to score one of the two. Hope to connect with both tomorrow and make a deal. Then, everyone pray for me, when I tell my wife what I've done!!!
Best take a trailer big enough for 2 bikes.

Driving up to San Antonio Saturday for a v65 Sabre parts bike. And that's just 4.5hrs one way. Be back the same day. Done the same 3-4 times in 2021 and 2020. Austin, Beeville, Sequin, and Houston. Usually go in my Challenger, but not this time. Not in a hurry this time. Gonna Lay back and take it easy in my Suburban. Just remember that bike in your rear view mirror is not tail gating. I forgot and scared the He-- out of me.
1st pic is me gassing up getting ready to head back, in Cedar Park north of Austin.
The 2nd pic was the scary part... 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20200913_113447.jpg
    IMG_20200913_113447.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200913_141310.jpg
    IMG_20200913_141310.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 9
No, I agree, I enjoy driving. So I don't mind the round trip. Doesn't seem like it will work out with one seller. So I will be working with the other. The one I have found is a numbered bike. So that sounds like it is a plus. Cross your fingers for me, I'll be discussing with the seller tomorrow.

What is the deal with the "forward controls"? Do those move both the shifter and the brake forward more like a cruiser? That may be a desirable option. Or are they just foot pegs for your feet?

No, I agree, I enjoy driving. So I don't mind the round trip. Doesn't seem like it will work out with one seller. So I will be working with the other. The one I have found is a numbered bike. So that sounds like it is a plus. Cross your fingers for me, I'll be discussing with the seller tomorrow.

What is the deal with the "forward controls"? Do those move both the shifter and the brake forward more like a cruiser? That may be a desirable option. Or are they just foot pegs for your feet?
You really should call me before you do anything !!!
I’m available until 8:00 tonight

Back