TCI Theory of Operation?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sean, found them on the fiche.

Ok, So since the early models have 2 pickups, are they staggered or offset. In other words, are there 2 rings of magnets on the rotors? I'm trying to wrap my head around why there is 2 pickups. Got to do more reading as this is all critical to hardware design.

Acctualy those are 4 pickups as mentioned.

Each pickup generates two diffrent peaks and the TCI calculate the time beteween peaks and then its creating fireing sequence.
But as its a wasted spark that should be done twice so there're two duoble sensors.

Flywheel have two almost identical triggering edgings.
The trick is that tehy are not spaced in 180'.
Mr odd fireing v-max fires something like this:
-180'
-250'
-180'
-110'

On the 2 pickup setup they are the same offset and use the same protrusions from the flywheel to trigger them.

Why not just go with a microsquirt?
This is not a bad idea. It might be easier to hack an already existing system. I think Satariel suggested or made reference to doing this instead of re-inventing the wheel. Makes a ton of sense. I will look at this option also.

Every little bit helps.

btw, is it save to say that the dyna3000 does not help with performance gains. I have not been able to find any dyno sheets that show a performance increase with this device. Could the stock TCI be extremely well tuned? Or, is it that the dyna3000 is missing the pressure input? I can't believe that a non digitally controlled system is stable enough to be that tuned. If it doesn't increase over-all performance then it must be helping to change the power curve. So more power/torque at mid range rpms.

The Dyna 3k does help with performance gains, especially in the low and mid range. It pulls like a raped ape at part throttle. If you look at the dyna specs it has quite the advance at part throttle and the way it does that is it takes input from the vacuum sensor just like the OEM.

CDI and TCI are not the same.
http://www.sportdevices.com/rpm_readings/CDI_and_TCI.htm

I have an 86 ignitor that is burned up on Channel 1. If you want it is yours.
Let me know

The Dyna 3k does help with performance gains, especially in the low and mid range. It pulls like a raped ape at part throttle. If you look at the dyna specs it has quite the advance at part throttle and the way it does that is it takes input from the vacuum sensor just like the OEM.

CDI and TCI are not the same.
http://www.sportdevices.com/rpm_readings/CDI_and_TCI.htm

I have an 86 ignitor that is burned up on Channel 1. If you want it is yours.
Let me know
I figured that might be the case. Here's the issue that I have and the motivation for this project. There is not much information on the pre 1990 timing so I'll just have to scope it out myself in the spring. My bike is already stored for the season so its not that accessible for testing procedures. So I will continue to ask direct or stupid questions until its crystal clear in my mind. I already have a base circuit design drawn up and the pcb layout mapped. Still needs some tweaks here and there. But that's no big deal. I'm still evaluating whether the squirt (micro or mega) is a good option. And, I just thought of another possibility. Leave the early TCI analog but modify the analog version to be adjustable. To do this I will need to reverse it first. Ragingmain, I will PM you with my contact info.

Latest posts

Back