Headlight wont turn off !

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madjack1369

Reaction score
I Have a 1985 v maxxx. When riding yesterday I stopped for fuel. I turned the key: switch off, the bike shut off but the fan kept running and the headlight stayed on. The only way I could get the light to turn off is to disconnect the battery. I removed the key (main switch) and tested it with a meter. It appears to be functioning correctly. The headlight will come on even with the switch removed from the circuit. I have looked at the schematic and am at a loss as to what could do this. Any suggestions?:bang head: I just put a new stator in the bike. This shouldnt have anything to do with it should it?

Last edited:
stator changed should not do so,

There is the diode pack or a omron relay ( i`m working near those these days while i`m redoing electric harness on my venture project and the relay are all the same venture/vmax)

Thank you. I will look into it. Does it look like a relay or a box? I will see what I find on the wiring diagram I have.

i was gonna say that you might have a short in the start switch, but then with the fan being on, i began thinking that it would more likely be a short in the ignition switch. it might also be a short somewhere near the fuse box. i would be looking at the brown bus wire starting from the fuse box and trace it back to the ignition switch. opening up the ignition switch isn't hard. gimme a sec to hunt down the how-to that i wrote up

{edit}
How To: Recondition the Ignition Switch
{/edit}

Thanks ninjaneer, I m thinking shorted wire cause it does it with the key switch disconnected from the harness. That is a really great how- to on the switch.

Latest posts

Back