UFO/Aftermarket Compatability

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsteadman81

Reaction score
I put the UFO 4-2 system with the megaphone "mufflers" on my vmax this winter. Took it out for the first time today and boy is it LOUD. I was wondering if there were any other mufflers that would be a direct fit onto the UFO system? Or is there any way to modify the megaphones to make them a bit quieter? I already have the SBD end caps and its still very loud. I don't want to wake up the neighbors when I take off at 6:30 am. LOL

Vmax Mike (GURU) has tackled this "problem".
I ride in 2nd Gear with SlashCuts 4-2 when I'm in my Hood. Helps keep the noise to a duller roar..

-KarmaKatt-

I packed the hell out of my baffles and when i head out in the am i make sure im ready to roll and start the bike in gear and take off nice and slow. When i get down the road i pull over and let it warm up.

The reson i start it in gear is so the trans dont clunk putting it in gear at to high of rpm.

I also find that when im riding at a steady speed, it sounds normal, but if I twist the throttle slightly it will sound very hollow and almost seems to backfire until I really start to open it up. I didn't install a jet kit so I assume that's my problem?

My Tech thought that Seans Kit and Dyno's Kit were a bit pricey and too save me some coin he'd swap out 4 Jets. Well, four Jets later, hours talking too Jon and pulling the Carbs/Dyno more times than he'd like to admit he got her Tuned. My Tech finally admitted that he could only go so far without a full kit. Seans kit is on The List.
I only had Backfiring with my SuperTrapps and my Carbs were all gummed, not Synched and a bent Needle!! Good Tune could do it maybe?

The Delkevic cans seem to fit. I have an older UFO system. Today I received my new pipes in the mail. I got the 9" oval shaped ones. I will be installing these in a few days and will let you know what I find. I will be posting video clips of them with and without the baffles.

Well ive decided that im going to try and weld in a baffle plate to the inside of the megaphones. Im using the end caps from the stock pipes as a base, it will be welded to the "cage" that holds in the packing. I cut one down to fit into the core of the megaphones, and im going to try and drill a few holes and weld some nuts to the back, so in theory I could make a bunch of different inserts and bolt them to the plate that is welded in...... What do you guys think?

@redneksoldier- Is the older UFO system much different than the street pro system they are selling now? Im just wondering if the intermediate pipes that the mufflers connect to are located in the same position so the mufflers would mount the same?

I took my exhaust can I am working-on to my fabricator friend to ask his opinion. Got it, will be trying to get to the steel supply/fabrication shop in Ft. Lauderdale FL he recommended, ASAP. I have two different cans I am looking to mod to fit the UFO 4/1 mid-pipe to see about a 'more-stealth' approach. My goal is to retain the performance of the UFO but w/a more-muted exhaust note.

Comparing the rpm X displacement for each of the cans, for the bike they were from, to the larger displacement of the VMax X its redline of 9500 rpm, to get an idea of the capacity of the canisters, there is about a 4-5% difference in the equation results, compared to the VMax. So, my thought is, the canisters are 'in the ballpark' for being able to flow the gases. And if I ever want to go to the dragstrip, I can always re-install my "killer" bologna-cut Dragstar "muffler." Now I have a UFO megaphone Jon made for me this month.

@redneksoldier- Is the older UFO system much different than the street pro system they are selling now? Im just wondering if the intermediate pipes that the mufflers connect to are located in the same position so the mufflers would mount the same?

I'm not sure. I have never seen the two side by side to compare

I went to the steel fabricator today & took my UFO to canister adapters I had made this morning at a muffler shop. The steel fabricator will have flange plates to fit my adaptors, cut & drilled for mounting studs, for both cans; ready tomorrow. Quick! Then it will be a trip to my friend's home for him to do the TIG welding. I should be able to mount the canister on my UFO midline collector 4/1 after that. I have one gasket for one can & will have to order another for the other can, to seal my newly-manufactured flange/canister adaptor. Make no mistake about it, the UFO megaphone and Dragstar are far-smaller! I want to try for less-sound and not a big hit on power. Since I had such good luck so-far w/this, I picked-up two more new bike take-off canisters to mod once these are proven, I will be very interested to hear the results.

OK, today I picked-up my steel flanges from the fabricator, and they did a great job. I have two cans to get welded tomorrow at my friend's & already made an appointment w/him. The flanges bolt to the front muffler can & have a slip-pipe to mate to my UFO 4/1 midpipe. Sorry I cannot add pics from my iPhone to the site w/o loading the pics to web hosting sites like picasa or photobucket & I am too lazy to do that. I will post some pics when I get home.

Update: here are some pics of what's getting welded tomorrow. First is two exhaust canister flanges, one w/a pipe, one w/o a pipe in it. Second is two cans w/two flanges slipped-on & pipes in-place. Notice I have a different flange for the aluminum can. Third is another shot of #2 from a different angle, also w/the rectangular flange for the aluminum can. I will be able to mount either of these to my UFO 4/1 midpipe. I am interested to see what the tone is for each, and whether or not there is any significant deterioration in performance, throttle response, gas mileage, & etc.

If you enlarger pic. #2, you will see the dark can's slip-on pipe in the foreground is "much-bigger" than the aluminum slip-on adapter pipe in the rear. This is a matter of perspective, the two stub pipes on the custom flanges are exactly the same size, a trompe d'oeil. The canisters themselves are within a fraction of an inch of being the same diameter.

The UFO pipe is 2.5" O.D., and I am having the connector pipe penetrate the flanges on the custom-made ones, and will try to mod the rectangular flange for the aluminum can to allow the same mounting.

Because the cans don't have the support bracket in the correct location for the VMax rear footpeg carrier, I also got some 1/8" strap steel to use for connecting the canister bracket to the footpeg carrier. I am hoping it can be a simple flat stock extension of several inches to do the job, no offset needed. We will see.

Attachments

• cans.01.JPG
    cans.01.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 57
  • cans.02.JPG
    cans.02.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 55
  • cans.03.JPG
    cans.03.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 55
OK, today I picked-up my steel flanges from the fabricator, and they did a great job. I have two cans to get welded tomorrow at my friend's & already made an appointment w/him. The flanges bolt to the front muffler can & have a slip-pipe to mate to my UFO 4/1 midpipe. Sorry I cannot add pics from my iPhone to the site w/o loading the pics to web hosting sites like picasa or photobucket & I am too lazy to do that. I will post some pics when I get home.

When your done Medic, can you also take a video?? We'd love to hear them. I sent vids to YouTube from my iPhone than copied the address onto a thread here (on a computer) which brought up a link and icon to the vid on YouTube.

OK, done, for the most part! I have one of my two cans for my UFO 4/1 installed, and I think I am likely to leave this on for the time-being. I know my neighbors will appreciate it. :biglaugh:

I have two different Jap big-bore exhaust canisters I adapted to my bike. I am waiting on a gasket for one but the other I installed today. Here are a couple videos.

The #1 thing I hoped to accomplish is to quiet the UFO 4/1 w/o losing throttle response, power, or having to re-jet. I haven't ridden it yet, but here's proof it can be done. I did this today, and while there are some small details yet to be accomplished, I am going to road-test the assembly after I post this.

I wasn't expecting any great breakthrough, I am a guy puttering-around in my spare time trying to get my bike to be more of what I want. I like the UFO Dragstar 4/1 I bought, a Jon Cornell UFO product. It was a bit loud, so I got the megaphone made for me by Jon, it's still loud! So, I decided to use some of the parts I have accumulated. I adapted a big-bore Jap sportbike exhaust stock canister (I have two, from two different bikes) to my 'Max. It works.

The first video is just a static shot, but the second is w/the engine fired-up. Guess what it sounds like? A stock big-bore Jap. sport bike!

The best thing is that it is quiet, several magnitudes to the 'quiet' side of the Likert scale (1 to 5, 1 is 'really-quiet, for a 1000+ cc Jap. sport bike, or a stock exhaust, typically; to 5 where you are running a UFO 4/1 Dragstar w/the shorty 'bologna-cut' "muffler," and I use that term "muffler" loosely).

Before it was a "5!!!" and no-doubt about-it! Now it's a "1" or a "2" so if you don't want to wear ear plugs every time you ride, in the interests of saving your hearing, this is a "good mod."

If someone w/a UFO 4/1 was interested, PM me as I think I could duplicate this pretty-easily.

And for those of you who subscribe to "loud pipes save lives," here is the real-thing, a Dragstar UFO 4/1 in all its glory, running on a Dynojet Stage 7 set of carbs.

Now you might say, "well we didn't hear anything in the way of the canister-equipped bike running-hard," which is why I am posting this and going for a ride. :punk: I'll let you know how it goes. I can tell you, the muffler can is mounted very solidly, and I don't fear having it come-adrift on me during my road test. As "Uncle" Tom McCahill, who is generally credited with inventing the formal road test format for cars in the post-WW II economy, might have said (he was very 'politically-incorrect') "I'm going to 'cane it' like you would a lazy Bombay houseboy, and then I'm going to celebrate with a Beefeaters gin & tonic!":rofl_200:

Update: After a road test, I am perfectly-content to leave this canister on my UFO 4/1 headpipe/midpipe. It appears to ride the same as the much-louder UFO, whether you have the "bologna-cut" Dragstar "muffler," or a UFO megaphone w/either of the two rear cap open-diameter measurements.

By "ride the same," I am referring to throttle response, quickness to accelerate, steady-throttle operation, and ability to pull to redline if you are choosing to make a 'banzai-charge' from first gear. Now I am not a person who practices 4-5OOO rpm drag-racing starts like Sean or Kyle, or any of the other guys on-here who do recreationally. I don't avoid giving it a good workout occasionally after doing a normal clutch release from a stop, assuming it's a clear road. I did manage 8K w/the new exhaust can in 5th merging onto the I-95 expressway by the FT. Lauderdale Airport, where you have a good view of traffic ahead, and the bike pulled flawlessly to redline, or as-close to it as I came in the lower gears, and it was showing 8K when I backed-off, so except for not doing a holeshot, it was probably roughly equivalent to a 1/4 mile strip run.

Where before it sounded like a big-displacement V-8, bellowing along, now the intake sound and the wind sound are about as-loud as the exhaust note, and after living w/the UFO 4/1 in all its unmuffled glory (I don't consider the Dragstar "bologna-cut" exhaust tip to be much of a "muffler") and being able to treat all the Daytona Beach Harley riders to the sonic benefits of a Stage 7 UFO-equipped VMax, w/a Dragstar tip, I think I prefer the current setup I have "Frankensteined" together. Oh, be assured that when 2014 Daytona Beach Bike Week comes-around, I will be removing my sportbike exhaust canister on my VMax, and will replace it w/theUFO megaphone. Someone has to show the "Tuber-tooters" ("potato-potato") what a powerful bike is supposed to sound like, if you run straight exhausts. :biglaugh:

Hey, you might be old like me if you remember Uncle Tom from Mechanics Illustrated. I had a subscription to that mag for years during the 50's and 60's. Remember "MiMi"?

Back