• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1989 Vmax w/ 8,200 original miles!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lougy

Reaction score
1989 Yamaha Vmax 1200cc
8,xxx original miles
Clean Title
Candy Apple Red Paint
New Shinko Tires Front and back.
New Brake Pads
Carburetors were cleaned and serviced last year as well as top end.
The only cons to the bike are; minor wear on silver accents and engine enamel. Highway pegs could use replaced. And the rear brake booster needs rebuilt. I'll probably take care of that in a couple weeks, the price will be more firm.

Email with further questions

Attachments

• 01111_fxCbpcRjXn9_600x450.jpg
    01111_fxCbpcRjXn9_600x450.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 00101_dMBpKeXZnx6_600x450.jpg
    00101_dMBpKeXZnx6_600x450.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20140711_204913.jpg
    20140711_204913.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 90
Hey, welcome to the board. It's a great group of guys here. Do you have a price in mind? When you say "top end" serviced, do you mean a valve adjustment or something else?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk. I just want to start to gauge what kind of a deal this might be for someone.

Thanks, and I hope you stick around to hang out with us here if your bike doesn't sell right away. We might even talk you into keeping it.

Sorry for the lack of detail. You don't sound like a jerk at all. By top end service I mean valves being set and the carburetors rebuilt. I would like to see 4400 out of it, but, that's negotiable. Thank you for point those details out, very much appreciated and it goes to show the communion of this forum!

I was wondering about the valve thing because I think the first valve adjustment isn't scheduled until about 26k miles. We hate it when dealers mess with people and do service that isn't needed or scheduled as part of a package deal. Anyway. Search around a bit in the rest of the for sale section. I think your price might get some bites if it started with a 3... It also depends how badly you want to sell.

Good luck either way.

The guy probably dropped $1K+ for two tires, brake pads, a valve adjustment and the carbs torn-down/rebuilt, plus, it's gotta have a new battery in it. Maybe closer to $1.5K as factory labor adds-up quickly at $100+ an hour and the cost of parts.

That, and the cost of a new rear brake booster. No offense, I just don't know how-much faith I'd put into someone rebuilding the old rear brake booster, I think I'd like to see a receipt from a shop on that one.

The bike does look like it's clean though, likely stored inside away from ocean air or a large body of water. I think the deciding factor on the price would be the same factors as it is for anything older, "how weathered (or how good) is it," and "how well does it run" along with "what else will it need to be safe and reliable?"

I'm thinking someone not mechanically-inclined put the $$ into it thinking it would be a cool bike to have, and after spending $1500 above the purchase price, isn't done yet, and has decided to get his $$ out, as much as he can. Maybe he got a taste of some steering head shake after dried-out steering head bearing grease and needing an adjustment caused him to think it's 'not the bike for me.' That named price I would say is for a bike needing nothing, w/no operational issues, and this bike still needs some work. The left fork leg looks dirty/shiny w/oil in a pic. Also, it looks like someone swapped the lollipops in the rear out for the Yamaha trapezoidally-shaped rear turn signals after bringing it home, this pic below has it still wearing what may have been the original Dunlop Qualifiers RWL tires, before getting the Shinkos mounted. Man, those must have been dry-rotted! I'd say, $3.5K if it needed nothing. And, how's second gear? It should be OK, unless that 8,000 miles was a quarter-mile at a time. It's the old 40 mm forks, single-opposed calipers, old-style ignition box, and the smaller rotors. It does appear much-cleaner than the average '89 VMax.

Back