1993 Won't Fire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1993

Reaction score
New to the group,...Have had my 93 for several years without any problems. few days ago took a ride 100 + miles, all fine. Today, it wont fire, never done this B4. I eliminated the usual suspects..kill switch, side stand etc...just won't fire? has not been in the rain for many years, stays dry.

It did recently stall w/out reason at a light, but re-start was fine, had recent back fire (carb) that was not normal. Balanced the carbs last month. Just seems odd that one day fine, next day nutin??

Any help appreciated...

Jerry, is the engine turning over when the starter button is pushed? Did you pull the plugs and then do the spark test? Did you check your main fuse? Engine stop switch?​

Did test the switch, works fine. Cranks over, just won't fire a bit. AFter work Mon, I will pull wires and check the fuse. Is the main fuse under the seat or carb cover?

I have also noted replies to others "wont fire" issues, that over-heat may bake some electrical systems. Been in the 80's & 90's here lately, and at stops...I get hot...was very hot the day I last rode and got some backfire and lower power/performance?

It's under the seat to the left and above the battery. Cover should say 30A on it. One fuse is the spare.

Test the pickup coil while you are at it. That 2-pin connector is to the left of the battery and probably behind the left cover. It should have an orange and black wire. Should read about 110 Ohms of resistance.

Thanks for your help, I will start there....as for the heat issue, I was looking at the Holeshot aluminum fan and self-activator switch? It just seems that at the times it is needed, it may prevent some of these issues to not overheat...your thoughts on the add-on switches??

Jerry, stay away from the Muzzy fan. It moves less air than stock and is actually heavier too.

You can either put in a manual switch that bypasses the fan switch under the right scoop or you can get a different thermo switch to turn the fan on sooner. If you want the aftermarket switch go to your Napa dealer and ask for a Borg Warner TFS545. You can also use a switch from an '88 Nissan Sentra. You will have to use your stock o-ring though.

You can try to remove air bubbles from cooling system. Just run for a few minutes w/o radiator cap. Slowly add coolant if necessary to bring level just short of coolant manifold neck under right scoop.

When's the last time you changed your coolant? Best to change it every couple of years.

Glad to help.

Back