1st Gen V-Max 1997 custom Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A traditional look, I like it. You did a good job. Does it still have the underseat tank?

A Fat Boy VMax!

The rear fender (Ironhead Sportster?), seat/gas tank, front end, and solid 'bolted' wheels all work well together. The headlight/forks tins look like H-D Big Twin pieces. I'm thinking the gas tank looks like an early Virago, or a single fatbob. I have a VMax engine I sandblasted but haven't installed yet. That has a similar appearance. It looks like a matte grey, has it been painted?

I think there would be some $ to be made from that style.

Vmax Fatboy.png

Last edited:
Thank you. I think there is money to be made there too. Your description "Fatboy Vmax" is exactly what I had in mind when I started building it.

Yes, it still has the original tank, somewhat modified though.

I used wet sand blasting on the engine and various other parts. After that, WD40 film everywhere and dry it.

I made the wheels myself, 3x19" front, 5,5x18" in the back. 180 rear tire without fork mods. Fits barely, doesn't rub.

Last edited:
No Harleys available in your area? To each their own but a vmax is a vmax a fatboy is a fatboy they definitely don't coincide in my opinion. Other then that it's not a bad looking machine

Of course there are HDs available here. I didn't want one. I wanted this.

Not too much to tell about the tins. They are some Heritage pieces that I found. Made brackets, machined sleeves, modified this and that. Stock 1997 front end that I rebuilt. Pretty much used what was available and put them together. I've been building custom cars and bikes for 3 decades.

Stock 1997 front end that I rebuilt.
Yamaha or H-D? I can't tell. If it's H-D, I assume you had to make some caliper adapters. If it's a H-D, was the axle the same diameter as the Yamaha? I know H-D has been using Showa front ends for some time, dunno if they still do.

Don't care either way. Everybody does what they want with their own shit. I wanted to share my bike here. Call it vanity or call it respect of information.

Of course there are HDs available here. I didn't want one. I wanted this.

Not too much to tell about the tins. They are some Heritage pieces that I found. Made brackets, machined sleeves, modified this and that. Stock 1997 front end that I rebuilt. Pretty much used what was available and put them together. I've been building custom cars and bikes for 3 decades.
I hear that to each their own. I always appreciate a good build. No matter what you like.

Attachments

• IMG_20200926_221707660.jpg
    IMG_20200926_221707660.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I hear that to each their own. I always appreciate a good build. No matter what you like.
Fox-bodies are increasing in value. I had three of 'em, more fun than a Z28 or a Trans-Am to drive, and I had several of those. That looks like a good project. Steeda is local to me, they did a lot of work with Fox bodies.

Fox-bodies are increasing in value. I had three of 'em, more fun than a Z28 or a Trans-Am to drive, and I had several of those. That looks like a good project. Steeda is local to me, they did a lot of work with Fox bodies.
I went with the little-known 85.5 SVO a few years back :)

Attachments

• 20220620_153939.jpg
    20220620_153939.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
85.5 is a good choice, over 200hp stock. A friend of mine is tinkering with a Ford Sierra coupe turbo 2.3 (Merkur XR4ti) . Heavily modified, made just shy of 600hp on the wheels in a dyno.

85.5 is a good choice, over 200hp stock. A friend of mine is tinkering with a Ford Sierra coupe turbo 2.3 (Merkur XR4ti) . Heavily modified, made just shy of 600hp on the wheels in a dyno.
Very nice! I wish we would have got the Cosworth YS engines here in North America, but oh well lol! The 2.3 Lima's can still pack a hell of a punch :)

Back