2017 VMAX OFF TO THE TRACK (NOT STRIP)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PresaCan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Hope everyone is doing well and their bikes are running well.
I finally had my suspension setup not static but by a guy who races and puts on schools.

I thought I did a good job last year but they way it's set up now it feels like a different bike. One thing I have noticed country riding I was having a hard time using all tire of the Verges so went back to Battalax.

After the setup I am able to use the whole tire, no chicken strips (what a proud feeling).

I was asked to come out for Track Days June 18th. I've changed my brake pads, coolant, blue taped any plastic, I should be ok to tech in. Wish me luck just going out to have fun and see if I can hang with some of the slower guys
I realize I'm not running with1000RRs.

I am doing track days becuase I have In the past with my Gixxers. I will be using my GoPro becuase quite Frankly there's a Guy on YouTube who hates his black 2020 VMAX that has nothing nice to say. It's obvious!! "Sell your bike". We will see how much of a straight line machine it is.
Oh and as far as mods, lol I sure as HELL made more than 5HP so I'm not understanding what he's taking about. Sell your VMAX bud it's too much for you and you spin a negative light on our machines. Thanks for reading the owners manual that was a great vid.
Anyways stay safe this season and if you want the specs I set my bike to for suspension DM me, I'm 200 pounds. Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713-030150_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713-030150_Chrome.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210607_083834.jpg
    20210607_083834.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
EXCUSE SPELLING PUNCTUATION JUST OFF NIGHTS...TITLE SHOULD READ OFF TO TRACKDAYS

I run my gen 1 at track days and your going to be amazed at what you can accomplish in the turns. I have a track bike and I swear tossing my vmax around is more fun. If I didn't run out of lean so quickly I'd never get off it.

I run my gen 1 at track days and your going to be amazed at what you can accomplish in the turns. I have a track bike and I swear tossing my vmax around is more fun. If I didn't run out of lean so quickly I'd never get off it.
Awesome can't wait, Thanks

I strongly question your choice of Battlax for a track day. They are much less grippy than the Verges, meaning that even if they’ll tolerate you getting to max lean, there’s far less of a safety net should you do something that requires extra traction, like trail braking, accelerating, or changing your line abruptly (like to dodge another rider). The reason you had slight chicken strips on your rear Verge is because the tire profile is a bit different.. you’ll touch down pegs before the rear tire’s chicken strips are worn away.

I haven’t tracked my Max but I have done Deals Gap and the surrounding areas. Mine has Verges, 10wt fork oil, and a revalved shock, and it acquits itself nicely for sucha big, heavy bike.

I strongly question your choice of Battlax for a track day. They are much less grippy than the Verges, meaning that even if they’ll tolerate you getting to max lean, there’s far less of a safety net should you do something that requires extra traction, like trail braking, accelerating, or changing your line abruptly (like to dodge another rider). The reason you had slight chicken strips on your rear Verge is because the tire profile is a bit different.. you’ll touch down pegs before the rear tire’s chicken strips are worn away.

I haven’t tracked my Max but I have done Deals Gap and the surrounding areas. Mine has Verges, 10wt fork oil, and a revalved shock, and it acquits itself nicely for sucha big, heavy bike.
Thanks for your reply.
I totally understand what you're talking about with Verges.
Actually

Thanks I totally agree with you I have had at least 5 sets of Verges and am actually going to back to them after the Battalax.
When I first put Verges on they were much gripper than the Battalax so I stayed with them. My bike goes in tonight so I'm changing back to the Shinkos.
Thanks for the advice I got the Battalaxs for 200.00 new front back so couldn't beat the price but they don't last.

Man, I can't imagine trying to hustle that tank around the track! That is no offense, it is just a huge bike. But I think we have all seen that guy railing his Goldwing through Deals Gap...so, with great skill it must be possible. Good luck and have fun!

Oh, and since the date has passed...do you have an update?

Man, I can't imagine trying to hustle that tank around the track! That is no offense, it is just a huge bike. But I think we have all seen that guy railing his Goldwing through Deals Gap...so, with great skill it must be possible. Good luck and have fun!

Oh, and since the date has passed...do you have an update?
Hey Sorry for late reply.
I'm dedicated nightshift in the Oilfield and have time to drive back to camp, eat, sleep, back to work so I almost forget about the forum.
I'm very lucky as I have Gold award winning mechanic from Yamaha that works on my bike and I follow what he reccomends always.
For the track I switched out the front brake pads and ran Motul 7100 10W60, Shell Vpower 93 and removed my mirrors. Blue painters tape for signals, head light, etc.
I dunno I love the way my VMAX handles always have. I had a blast that weekend.
Second lap I went in too hot at the 3rd corner and ended driving on the grass.
Learning how to not target fixate helped me keep it on two wheels.
I had fun, earned some respect.
Had a great time.
There was a Gen1 Hayabusa and I was able to pull away from him coming out of the corners into the straight parts of the track.
I almost want to give up riding on the street and get a track bike now.

Hey Sorry for late reply.
I'm dedicated nightshift in the Oilfield and have time to drive back to camp, eat, sleep, back to work so I almost forget about the forum.
I'm very lucky as I have Gold award winning mechanic from Yamaha that works on my bike and I follow what he reccomends always.
For the track I switched out the front brake pads and ran Motul 7100 10W60, Shell Vpower 93 and removed my mirrors. Blue painters tape for signals, head light, etc.
I dunno I love the way my VMAX handles always have. I had a blast that weekend.
Second lap I went in too hot at the 3rd corner and ended driving on the grass.
Learning how to not target fixate helped me keep it on two wheels.
I had fun, earned some respect.
Had a great time.
There was a Gen1 Hayabusa and I was able to pull away from him coming out of the corners into the straight parts of the track.
I almost want to give up riding on the street and get a track bike now.

I get what you are saying about liking the handling of your bike. Oddly, I am totally content with the handling of my Gen1. I cut my teeth on the street back in the 80's, and those bikes fit my riding style, I suppose. Despite the fact I've had a ton of modern sportbikes.

Last edited:
Back