5.3 chevy 01

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuel pumps are prone to fail on these. I did 3 last week at work. Sounds like a weak pump to me. That being said, there's a lot of possibilities. You need a fuel pressure tester and a scanner. When it gets to the point it doesn't want to run, pull the boot off the throttle body, and spray some starting fluid into the throttle body while some one else plays with the throttle to see if you can make it run that way. That'll pretty much either confirm or rule out the fuel pump. Generally when the filter starts to plug, you'll feel a surging when driving at steady speed well before it causes any starting issues. I've never seen an iac go bad on an LSX motor. If it were an iac, you'd prolly be able to get it to run normally just about any where above idle. If it's the cats stopped up (which almost never throws a code), you can always pull the O2 sensors to free up some flow to the exhaust and see if it runs better. If you have an rpm gauge, and it moves at all when you're cranking it, you can pretty much rule out a crank sensor. Another possibility would be a map sensor, which, if you unplug it, and it runs better (when unplugged it infers a signal based off other sensor readings) it usually is bad. Obviously I'm speaking probability here without proper diagnostic equipment and such. Just speaking from personal experience. Long post, but hopefully it helps.

I cleaned the IAC and egr and it didn't help. The truck will not run either cold or hot now. Sometimes it will start and let me give it throttle sometimes it wont.Im going to borrow a scanner so I'm not pissing in the wind. My question is if it doesn't run does the scanner read data still?What will the scanner tell me if the truck doesn't run is a better way to put it?

I'd start by spraying it with starting fluid before I really concerned myself with a scanner. Then if that doesn't work, pull the o2 sensors and see if it runs, then move on to the scan tool part. To answer your question, The scan tool will read data without the truck running.

I cleaned the IAC and egr and it didn't help. The truck will not run either cold or hot now. Sometimes it will start and let me give it throttle sometimes it wont.Im going to borrow a scanner so I'm not pissing in the wind. My question is if it doesn't run does the scanner read data still?What will the scanner tell me if the truck doesn't run is a better way to put it?

Unplug the elect. connector from MAF sensor and see if it runs. If it does then replace it. MAF failure is fairly common on these trucks & they may or may not set a code.

Well......it ended up being a weak fuel pump.Wouldnt of believed it.Ive never had a weak one they have always just died on me.Thanks for the help!

Back