A small story, a few general questions, and advice seeking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought my VMAX at 25,000 miles back in October, and am in the mid 33,000 range and it being a 2016 I decided to change out some filters/fluids, general maintenance and log it so I’d actually know when it was done and when I should follow up, etc. The previous owner of this amazing motorcycle definitely didn’t do routine maintenance often, or at all from what I’ve sadly come to find out. A damn shame but it’s inspired me to change out everything and replace it with the highest quality parts I can find.

First off I changed the Airfilter, within 30 days of buying her. I was met with a disgusting factory filter that was covered in gunk. Rat crap inside the scoops, a decrepit wasp nest pressing against the filter, just overall disgusting. The dealer I purchased it from was apologetic but I can’t say I really trust any service they’ve offered me or want anything to do with them in the future.
IMG_8269.jpegIMG_8263.jpeg

Next I decided to do an oil change, the oil was claimed to have been changed before I purchased the bike but again, I don’t really trust anything the dealer has to say regarding it. They gave me a free oil change due to the filter fiasco. They might have changed the oil but they definitely left the old filter on. I performed my own oil and filter change within 500 miles of that.

I changed, and flushed the coolant as soon as it started heating up outside (Texas heat started in April). The old coolant was pretty funky and I guarantee it was factory.

Most recently I’ve done the spark plugs and that was hell. I’m hoping someone might have some tips on an easier method. I removed the radiator hose, Intake scoops, battery and housing, Ecu, and a hose blocking access to the rear right cylinder. Not sure what it was for. if someone knows I’d appreciate the info I always want to learn more.

The plugs were definitely original as well IMG_0218.jpegchanged the battery since I already had it out and everything unhooked.

Rear brake pads were changed recently as well, next step in the ever going project is a brake fluid flush.

Any suggestions on some more maintenance I should put on the list?

Much thanks.

I would be inclined to work through the periodic maintenance checks detailed on pp 3-1 to 3-3 of the Service manual.

Dunno how angry you are w/the dealer, is it a Yamaha dealer? Putting a negative story on social media seems to get action in many cases. What was the story when you bought it? "Fully factory-serviced, good for xxxx miles?" If so, they've ripped you a good one. Use social media, rip 'em back.

I took a look at Houston Motorsports, no current used VMaxes in stock.

Last edited:
Dunno how angry you are w/the dealer, is it a Yamaha dealer? Putting a negative story on social media seems to get action in many cases. What was the story when you bought it? "Fully factory-serviced, good for xxxx miles?" If so, they've ripped you a good one. Use social media, rip 'em back.

I took a look at Houston Motorsports, no current used VMaxes in stock.
I was indeed told before purchase that I would have to come back in a few hours to pick up the bike because they were going to fully service it before letting me ride off with it. I am very disappointed with the service Dept. However I am also still waiting on a crankcase cover that’s been on back order since I bought the bike. There’s nothing held in writing that they have to give it to me and until after I receive it I don’t want to make an enemy out of them. Even then I probably won’t make a social media war over it. It’s a very large name motorcycle dealer that was founded in Houston over 50 years ago so I’m not so sure it’d even make a difference. But either way until I get my cover I don’t want to name any names. Probably won’t be too hard to guess who it is though based on what I’ve said already. It’s also not Houston motor sports.

I bought my VMAX at 25,000 miles back in October, and am in the mid 33,000 range and it being a 2016 I decided to change out some filters/fluids, general maintenance and log it so I’d actually know when it was done and when I should follow up, etc. The previous owner of this amazing motorcycle definitely didn’t do routine maintenance often, or at all from what I’ve sadly come to find out. A damn shame but it’s inspired me to change out everything and replace it with the highest quality parts I can find.

First off I changed the Airfilter, within 30 days of buying her. I was met with a disgusting factory filter that was covered in gunk. Rat crap inside the scoops, a decrepit wasp nest pressing against the filter, just overall disgusting. The dealer I purchased it from was apologetic but I can’t say I really trust any service they’ve offered me or want anything to do with them in the future.
View attachment 90022View attachment 90023

Next I decided to do an oil change, the oil was claimed to have been changed before I purchased the bike but again, I don’t really trust anything the dealer has to say regarding it. They gave me a free oil change due to the filter fiasco. They might have changed the oil but they definitely left the old filter on. I performed my own oil and filter change within 500 miles of that.

I changed, and flushed the coolant as soon as it started heating up outside (Texas heat started in April). The old coolant was pretty funky and I guarantee it was factory.

Most recently I’ve done the spark plugs and that was hell. I’m hoping someone might have some tips on an easier method. I removed the radiator hose, Intake scoops, battery and housing, Ecu, and a hose blocking access to the rear right cylinder. Not sure what it was for. if someone knows I’d appreciate the info I always want to learn more.

The plugs were definitely original as well View attachment 90024changed the battery since I already had it out and everything unhooked.

Rear brake pads were changed recently as well, next step in the ever going project is a brake fluid flush.

Any suggestions on some more maintenance I should put on the list?

Much thanks.

That is horrible, bet it was a REPO bike that was hidden in a dumb barn or garage!

Back