2nd Gen VMAX My New Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chicken Man

Reaction score
VMax Year
Fair warning, this is long winded post.

I'm very excited to have purchased this 2009 Yamaha Vmax this past Monday! This is my first 2nd Gen and so far, I love it! Here in Massachusetts we've had great weather over the past week so I've been able to put a few miles on the saddle.

The bike came pretty much as you see it in the picture below. I am it's third owner. It has about 20,500 miles and had the following modifications and maintenance all done by the second owner within the last 1,000 miles.

Modifications
- VooDoo Exhaust
- Modified Airbox
- Barnett kevlar clutch
- HD clutch springs
- ECU tune by Chris Moore Mafia
- Exactrep footpeg lowering kit
- Exactrep solo seat cover (I put the passenger seat back on)
- Bar end mirros (originals included)
- Gel grips
- LED turn signals
- LED headlight & parking light
- "tail tidy"
- Debadged air scoops

Maintenance
- New brake pads
- New tires
- Coolant flush
- Oil change

20230512_123055.jpg

Despite all the good stuff, there are a few things that I've noted that could use some attention.

- Staining on the engine covers at the final drive and water pump. Looks like possibly chemical damage from a corrosive cleaning product
- Paint overall needs a thorough buff and polish
- Damaged clear coat on the air scoops from where the emblems were removed
- The turn signals do the typical LED hyper flash
- The gear indicator works intermittently
- Brake fluid looks like it could use a flush
- It has a little bit of deceleration popping. The previous owner stated it had a Delkevic exhaust when it was tuned. I guess that only happened when they later switched to the VooDoo exhaust. According to the previous owner, they contacted Chris Moore (or one of his collogues) before switching to the VooDoo exhaust and was told it would be fine to run the VooDoo exhaust with the existing ECU flash because it wouldn't make a big difference. For reference, the picture below is of the bike with the previous Delkevic exhaust.

received_544156954354131(2).jpeg

So far, I've only done a few things to the bike. I've...

- Reinstalled the passenger foot pegs (because they were removed when I purchased the bike)
- Reinstalled the passenger seat
- Added a phone holder/charging
- Checked the throttle body balancing with vacuum sync gauges (as I just learned that's a thing on fuel injected bikes). For anyone wondering, the throttle body balancing was pretty much spot on. The picture included below for reference.

20230509_191611.jpg

Looking forward my main ambition with the bike is to ride it all summer long! Aside from the obvious, there are a few changes I would like to eventually make.

- Fix the turn signals and gear indicator
- Pretty up the cosmetics issues
- Install a larger fuel tank (possibly one of the ones produced by Schwaben Max or Zweirad)
- Get a quieter exhaust. I love both the sound and the look of the VooDoo mufflers, but it is just a little too much volume for me. They're already making my ears ring after a long ride. According to the previous owner the Delkevics were a good bit quieter, so maybe I'll start looking there. Idk yet. I'll probably make a sperate post later for that discussion.

For the time being I'm just excited to have my new Vmax! I'm gonna go for a rip!

If you made it this far thank you for reading and I hope you found some of this information useful or entertaining.

I MIGHT still have a nice set of Vance and Hines CS1 slip-ons around here. They are discontined now but did have a nice overall sound/look. I do sell the Hindle line of products as well and the full header is the way to go normally for maximum output. The slipons are nice too. All slip-on systems will perform similarly.

Attachments

• PXL_20220517_194516453.jpg
    PXL_20220517_194516453.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1
I MIGHT still have a nice set of Vance and Hines CS1 slip-ons around here. They are discontined now but did have a nice overall sound/look. I do sell the Hindle line of products as well and the full header is the way to go normally for maximum output. The slipons are nice too. All slip-on systems will perform similarly.

Do you know how the V&Hs and Hindle system compare to the VooDoos in terms of volume? My main concern is really just cutting down the volume a little bit so that I can ride my bike more. But the allure of more power is also kinda tempting.

I was also considering trying the smaller 1.5" endcaps VooDoo sells.

The Voodoo (and UFO/Star Rider) stuff is amount the loudest you can get for the Vmax. The others are a lot tamer but when you remove the cat you get a lot more noise then stock.

The Voodoo (and UFO/Star Rider) stuff is amount the loudest you can get for the Vmax. The others are a lot tamer but when you remove the cat you get a lot more noise then stock.

I've been debating between the Hindle 4-1 or the Delkevic SS Tri-Ovals (what I believe my bike had on it before). I do like the appeal of maximum output with the Hindle, but for over 3X the price of the Delkevic I'm unsure if it is worth the money. (I'm assuming your prices are similar to what's on Hindles website)

Delkevic: Stubby 13" Stainless Steel Tri-Oval Muffler to fit V-Max 1700 (2009-2019)
Hindle: Hindle Performance: Yamaha Vmax 1700 Low Race Front Section

I sorry to hit you with so many questions, but do you know how much of a difference in power the Hindle system would make compared to slip-ons?

Also, do you know how the CS1's compare to the Delkevics and Hindle as far as sound level and performance? If there would be any measurable difference at all.

Full header is approx 10hp gain (5%) so noticeable. Pricing is comparible for sure. Plus I can get many muffler options/combinations and of course an all black system (which is the most expensive version)

Full header is approx 10hp gain (5%) so noticeable. Pricing is comparible for sure. Plus I can get many muffler options/combinations and of course an all black system (which is the most expensive version)

Sounds perfect! Is there somewhere on your website where I can see the options you have available? I couldn't find it.

Fair warning, this is long winded post.

I'm very excited to have purchased this 2009 Yamaha Vmax this past Monday! This is my first 2nd Gen and so far, I love it! Here in Massachusetts we've had great weather over the past week so I've been able to put a few miles on the saddle.

The bike came pretty much as you see it in the picture below. I am it's third owner. It has about 20,500 miles and had the following modifications and maintenance all done by the second owner within the last 1,000 miles.

Modifications
- VooDoo Exhaust
- Modified Airbox
- Barnett kevlar clutch
- HD clutch springs
- ECU tune by Chris Moore Mafia
- Exactrep footpeg lowering kit
- Exactrep solo seat cover (I put the passenger seat back on)
- Bar end mirros (originals included)
- Gel grips
- LED turn signals
- LED headlight & parking light
- "tail tidy"
- Debadged air scoops

Maintenance
- New brake pads
- New tires
- Coolant flush
- Oil change

View attachment 89091

Despite all the good stuff, there are a few things that I've noted that could use some attention.

- Staining on the engine covers at the final drive and water pump. Looks like possibly chemical damage from a corrosive cleaning product
- Paint overall needs a thorough buff and polish
- Damaged clear coat on the air scoops from where the emblems were removed
- The turn signals do the typical LED hyper flash
- The gear indicator works intermittently
- Brake fluid looks like it could use a flush
- It has a little bit of deceleration popping. The previous owner stated it had a Delkevic exhaust when it was tuned. I guess that only happened when they later switched to the VooDoo exhaust. According to the previous owner, they contacted Chris Moore (or one of his collogues) before switching to the VooDoo exhaust and was told it would be fine to run the VooDoo exhaust with the existing ECU flash because it wouldn't make a big difference. For reference, the picture below is of the bike with the previous Delkevic exhaust.

View attachment 89092

So far, I've only done a few things to the bike. I've...

- Reinstalled the passenger foot pegs (because they were removed when I purchased the bike)
- Reinstalled the passenger seat
- Added a phone holder/charging
- Checked the throttle body balancing with vacuum sync gauges (as I just learned that's a thing on fuel injected bikes). For anyone wondering, the throttle body balancing was pretty much spot on. The picture included below for reference.

View attachment 89093

Looking forward my main ambition with the bike is to ride it all summer long! Aside from the obvious, there are a few changes I would like to eventually make.

- Fix the turn signals and gear indicator
- Pretty up the cosmetics issues
- Install a larger fuel tank (possibly one of the ones produced by Schwaben Max or Zweirad)
- Get a quieter exhaust. I love both the sound and the look of the VooDoo mufflers, but it is just a little too much volume for me. They're already making my ears ring after a long ride. According to the previous owner the Delkevics were a good bit quieter, so maybe I'll start looking there. Idk yet. I'll probably make a sperate post later for that discussion.

For the time being I'm just excited to have my new Vmax! I'm gonna go for a rip!

If you made it this far thank you for reading and I hope you found some of this information useful or entertaining.
When you think the carbs are balanced swap the vacuum pipes around and check you still have the same readings. Some of these gauges can sometimes be inaccurate.

Latest posts

Back