Another mystery part - M6 x 1.0 nut

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
This nut was in the bag with my oil distribution banjo fittings (between the cylinders), but I cannot remember where it goes and I can't see it in the parts diagrams. Anyone have an idea where this M6x1.0 nut is supposed to go?

1702775707093.png

Short (unhelpful) answer - somewhere that has a M6x1.0 fastener.
We could all guess but perhaps a more productive way to id the location would be to consult pages 8-10, 11 & 14 of the service manual which shows tightening torques, the fastener size and the part it fixes.

Ok, so no flange and no self locking feature. There are 129 nuts of various sizing and types in use on the gen 1 Vmax. Most are cap/crown type nuts and most have a flange (with or without locking serrations). The few that are 6mm and don't have those features include:
(1) on the brake lever that serves as a jamb nut for the plunger depth screw
(2) on the rear reflector that hold the mounting bracket to the grab rail (these did vary some from year to year)
(1) on the rear fender where it bolts through the forward hole of the grabrail (under the seat). Usually this is a self locking but I have seen regular ones
(2) on the rear taillight holding the light assembly to the metal inner bracket of the rear fender
(2) inside the speedo cup holding the speedo to the mounting bracket
(1) holding the fan blade to the fan motor

The rest are noted are either self locking, have a flange, or are cap/crown nuts (or bigger size). Having said that. There are a LOT of welded on nuts to various brackets. Sometimes (rarely) these can break free. I do not see indications of that on your picture.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom guys! The nut does not have any scars where a weld may have been, so I'll check the locations mentioned.

Back