Brighton speed trials 2019

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxZEN

Reaction score
I thought I let you all know how I did at last Saturday races and send you a link to my movie. The event is Brighton Speed Trials which has been going in the UK since 1905. This was my third year competing in this event.
all the best

Looks like another great run from you Farid at 10.61 secs coming first in your category, well done! :D

Thank you I appreciate that, I am looking at the dates available at Santa Pod Raceways and I can race on the 28th this month as long as it is dry, I am going to try 15psi at 6000rpm launch and see what happens, this is the same as my 10.61 sec run but at Santa Pod it is a glued track. I'll let you all know how I do. I like to do under 10 sec if I can.
All the best.
instagram@ fromtheedgeofdarkness

I'm curious about the sound check. What's the purpose and are there limits/penalties? It was obvious the bike in front of you was much louder yet, I'm assuming he got to race. Also, being from the states it was nerve-wracking watching everyone on opposite sides of the lane! Knots my stomach! BTW, do you know of Mick Huby or Lorcan Parnell? They're friends of mine. Mick has Nosfearatu and Lorc has Storm, the first compound turbo dragbike running 170psi of boost! I know Mick has done Brighton but, not sure of Lorc. He runs Santa Pod a lot.

I'm curious about the sound check. What's the purpose and are there limits/penalties? It was obvious the bike in front of you was much louder yet, I'm assuming he got to race. Also, being from the states it was nerve-wracking watching everyone on opposite sides of the lane! Knots my stomach! BTW, do you know of Mick Huby or Lorcan Parnell? They're friends of mine. Mick has Nosfearatu and Lorc has Storm, the first compound turbo dragbike running 170psi of boost! I know Mick has done Brighton but, not sure of Lorc. He runs Santa Pod a lot.

The noise limit is 110db, I raced at Santa Pod Raceways a few times a year, I was there last Saturday and trying to get there this Saturday as well. I know quite a few people but only by face, we have quite a few turbo bikes racing there and some running Rotrex superchargers. I will make a note of their names and look out for them.
I have been racing at Brighton Speed Trials for 3 years now, it has been going since 1905 and it is important that we try and keep it alive.
Here is last Saturday at Santa Pod.

The noise limit is 110db, I raced at Santa Pod Raceways a few times a year, I was there last Saturday and trying to get there this Saturday as well. I know quite a few people but only by face, we have quite a few turbo bikes racing there and some running Rotrex superchargers. I will make a note of their names and look out for them.
I have been racing at Brighton Speed Trials for 3 years now, it has been going since 1905 and it is important that we try and keep it alive.
Here is last Saturday at Santa Pod.

Cool video! I would have loved to have seen the H2 run! What have you done to your bike to get the 220hp you mentioned?

Cool video! I would have loved to have seen the H2 run! What have you done to your bike to get the 220hp you mentioned?
Not at the wheel if that's what you're thinking, approx at the crank.
The mods are akra de-cat collector pipe, akra cans, airbox restrictor cover removed, K&N filter, reflash by Tim Nash.
My top speed went from 145mph to 168mph.

This was 2018 Brighton Speed Trials results.

Attachments

• DSC_0610.JPG
    DSC_0610.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 23
Not at the wheel if that's what you're thinking, approx at the crank.
The mods are akra de-cat collector pipe, akra cans, airbox restrictor cover removed, K&N filter, reflash by Tim Nash.
My top speed went from 145mph to 168mph.
Excellent! Do you have data on quarter mile times from before and after your mods? The top speed is a substantial gain!

Excellent! Do you have data on quarter mile times from before and after your mods? The top speed is a substantial gain!

yes, somewhere I have kept all the printed data sheets from Santa Pod from around 18 months ago, I do remember the quickest 60ft I ever had was around 1.7 top speed with BST wheels last year was anywhere between 128 and 144mph and my time was 10.61
This year I no longer have my BST wheels and I am trying to still improve, the things I have changed since last year are , rear tyre pressure is 15psi, at santa pod it hooks on very well with Avon cobra chrome tyres, the best I have had so far, my launch RPM is now raised to 6000RPM, I actually tried a few weeks ago to run around 13PSI with a launch RPM of 6400, there was too much grip and pulled a wheelie, next season I would like to try and do the same (13PSI with 6400 to 6800) but I have to move myself as forward as possible, I have to add more foam behind the seat to bring me forward.
Only time will tell.
Take care

Great videos Farid.... keep them coming!

Are tie down straps allowed at Santa Pod? If you strap the front fork it will help you keep the front end down.

I didn't use them at first..... I liked to ride to the track and race with the bike just as I ride it on the street. I finally gave in after a couple of years and used the straps. It pretty much eliminated any wheelies.

Then you just need to concentrate on not spinning the tire or bogging.

Great videos Farid.... keep them coming!

Are tie down straps allowed at Santa Pod? If you strap the front fork it will help you keep the front end down.

I didn't use them at first..... I liked to ride to the track and race with the bike just as I ride it on the street. I finally gave in after a couple of years and used the straps. It pretty much eliminated any wheelies.

Then you just need to concentrate on not spinning the tire or bogging.

Hi Mark,
Thank you my friend, the answer is no, I have not yet run with the straps, can I ask how much of a difference it made on your time ?
thanks

1 to 2 tenths in my 60' time, so that pushed me into the 9's consistently everytime I ran.
They give you more confidence when you launch because you're much less likely to wheelie, so that's one less thing to worry about.
Keep in mind my drag racing skills are poor to say the least and I would only race usually once a year.......not enough to improve much.
If I was capable of real good 60' times my bike would have run 9.5's no question. My typical 60's were in the 1.7's though and the 1/4 in 9.7 - 9.9 @ 140 mph.

1 to 2 tenths in my 60' time, so that pushed me into the 9's consistently everytime I ran.
They give you more confidence when you launch because you're much less likely to wheelie, so that's one less thing to worry about.
Keep in mind my drag racing skills are poor to say the least and I would only race usually once a year.......not enough to improve much.
If I was capable of real good 60' times my bike would have run 9.5's no question. My typical 60's were in the 1.7's though and the 1/4 in 9.7 - 9.9 @ 140 mph.

Hi Mark, Doing some research on these tie down setups, I think I can make a good job of them myself in the workshop, I will try and machine a pair at some stage to try.
thanks for the tip my friend.

Can someone confirm the distance between the centre of the bolts on the front brake calliper is 130mm ?

yes, somewhere I have kept all the printed data sheets from Santa Pod from around 18 months ago, I do remember the quickest 60ft I ever had was around 1.7 top speed with BST wheels last year was anywhere between 128 and 144mph and my time was 10.61
This year I no longer have my BST wheels and I am trying to still improve, the things I have changed since last year are , rear tyre pressure is 15psi, at santa pod it hooks on very well with Avon cobra chrome tyres, the best I have had so far, my launch RPM is now raised to 6000RPM, I actually tried a few weeks ago to run around 13PSI with a launch RPM of 6400, there was too much grip and pulled a wheelie, next season I would like to try and do the same (13PSI with 6400 to 6800) but I have to move myself as forward as possible, I have to add more foam behind the seat to bring me forward.
Only time will tell.
Take care
Every little bit helps! In reference to the previous comments about tie down straps, I used them on my 84 Kaw 750 Turbo I used to drag race. My turbo was a single-stage and boost was immediate so, my 60ft times were horrendous since the bike would try to wheelie so quickly and it was completely stock chassis with no air shifter so, I had to shift as quickly as possible and wasn't able to use first gear to its full potential. When I put the straps on, I immediately picked up a full SECOND off my quarter mile time! I can't remember my 60 ft times but, I know they had to improve because I was able to go deeper in the revs before shifting. Not much but better. I ran 40psi in my avons and never had any trouble with spinning. The track surface was so sticky I sometimes had trouble getting my feet pulled up quickly enough and would catch my rear pegs. I ran 24psi on my turbo and launched at 8,000rpm. The only guy who ever beat me had a stretched and lowered ZX1200R and it was because he could get the jump on me. Whatever our 60ft time difference was it was exactly the same difference at the end of the run. He'd get the jump and several lengths on me but, I'd catch up quick if I could keep the front end down towards the end. I just couldn't quite get that last tiny bit to beat him. Sucked!

Can someone confirm the distance between the centre of the bolts on the front brake calliper is 130mm ?

That's what I measure. If you make your own set that would be great. I'd love to see them.

Here is the Brocks kit. Any other kit for an R1 will work as well. https://brocksperformance.com/radial-mount-front-end-lowering-kit-vmax-09-17-r1-09-14/

Here are a couple of photos of my brackets. They were expensive but they are beautiful parts. I don't think they are available anymore.

IMG_20191014_211816.jpg
IMG_20191014_211848.jpg

Every little bit helps! In reference to the previous comments about tie down straps, I used them on my 84 Kaw 750 Turbo I used to drag race. My turbo was a single-stage and boost was immediate so, my 60ft times were horrendous since the bike would try to wheelie so quickly and it was completely stock chassis with no air shifter so, I had to shift as quickly as possible and wasn't able to use first gear to its full potential. When I put the straps on, I immediately picked up a full SECOND off my quarter mile time! I can't remember my 60 ft times but, I know they had to improve because I was able to go deeper in the revs before shifting. Not much but better. I ran 40psi in my avons and never had any trouble with spinning. The track surface was so sticky I sometimes had trouble getting my feet pulled up quickly enough and would catch my rear pegs. I ran 24psi on my turbo and launched at 8,000rpm. The only guy who ever beat me had a stretched and lowered ZX1200R and it was because he could get the jump on me. Whatever our 60ft time difference was it was exactly the same difference at the end of the run. He'd get the jump and several lengths on me but, I'd catch up quick if I could keep the front end down towards the end. I just couldn't quite get that last tiny bit to beat him. Sucked!
Thanks for the story, your 750 Turbo was very fast.

Back