Broken Pinion Shaft....What now?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same problem with a 91 Vmax. The final gear drive assembly was making a horrible sound when decelerating. Somehow the nut holding the pinion gear was not punched in to lock it so in time it loosened stressed the gear and it finally sheared. I checked all over (I'm in the Philippines) but no one sells the final gear only, one has to buy the final gear drive assembly (used ,for about 350US$).

I took the final gear drive to my favorite machinist (the guy does excellent work) and he took the gear out (after fabricating a special tool) put the gear in the lathe, tapped in a thread into the final pinion gear and implanted a new bolt of the same size and machined to the original specs.

After reassembly, he made sure the nut was properly punched in.

I installed the implanted final drive to the VMax, added gear oil, presto problem solved. The machinist charged me 10US$. (Labor in fairly cheap here.) The machinist later told me he had done this procedure before with another VMax.

Mine having the same problem now,David your Machinist still doing this after many year?I am from Malaysia.

Latest posts

Back