carb problem/power loss above 3500-4000rpm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSGU1-4936

Reaction score
Just got the carbs back on yesterday, synced them today, and tried to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw. The bike starts fine, idles fine, but I loose all power above 3500-4000rpm. like its hesitating, not enough fuel ? I have the air/fuel screws out at 5turns, which seems alot, but anything under that and I loose power even sooner. I replaced everything that came with the carb kit, the only thing that I increased was the pilot jet, I went from the stock 37.5 I beleive, to one higher as reccomended from John Fubur, after placing the Nology wires on the bike. I have the stock jets that came with the kit. Should I change them back.

Any help would be appreciated

Ron:ummm:

Check the plugs? Are they white (lean) or are they black (rich).
Check the fuel filter.

The pro's will be here soon to help you more.

Are you using non-resister spark plugs? I think Nology requires those. 5 turns is a lot...almost like your pilot fuel jet is plugged. Did you put the rubber caps back in the jet block correctly? Other than that, I would try stock plug wires.

Mark

Hey Mark, I'm using the non-resistor plugs, I guess I will take the carbs off and check the rubber caps, I'm pretty sure I placed them in correctly

Just pulled the plugs, all 4 are carbon covered, looks like too rich. I started at 3 turns out like I had the previous set-up, is it possible due to the clean carbs that 3 turns out is way too much. I'll start at 2.3 turns out and go from there. It also took me about 40-60 minutes to sync the carbs this time, they were way off, had to constantly jump from one side of the bike to the other, not sure with all that idling, could have fouled the plugs.:bang head:

Hey mark just a quick update, I went back to stock air filter as well as pilot jets, and installed the carbs today. I'm almost at 3 turns out I dont get the hesitation like I did, and I checked the plugs after going for a boot, they look good a greyish color. I do get some back firing now, just so you know I have a set of Kerker slip-ons not sure if that would make a diff, I read that back firing is caused to a lean condition??? true/false

Ron

Backfiring through the carbs? Could be dirty pilot passages too.

Mark

Latest posts

Back